Author Topic: TM Silicone Fibreglass Mats  (Read 12911 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: TM Silicone Fibreglass Mats
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 01:04:36 pm »
I bought a load of these mats in the US a couple of years ago, much cheaper than the TM price. They are brilliant for eveything and can even be used on the barbecue.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 02:19:59 pm »
Ooh I'm living in the US at the moment. Did you find them online or at a major retailer Amanda? I might try seeking them out. I would love to buy them and stop buying and using baking paper.
From Perth WA

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »
Sorry, can't help you MEP. Just adding that I bought black silicone liners that I use on the WeberQ. They're brilliant, no mess and no drips and you still get the grill marks through onto the meat.  BBQBreeze
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »
Thanks Megan jane. I will have to look out for it. But you can use these liners in place of baking paper?
From Perth WA

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 11:26:56 pm »
Ooh I'm living in the US at the moment. Did you find them online or at a major retailer Amanda? I might try seeking them out. I would love to buy them and stop buying and using baking paper.

I bought my silicon mats at Sur La Table, MEP - and could have bought a ton more of other stuff. That shop is brilliant!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 11:58:21 pm »
Thanks Amanda. I will Google it now to see if there's a store near me or online.
From Perth WA

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 06:22:49 am »
Thanks Megan jane. I will have to look out for it. But you can use these liners in place of baking paper?
Yes, you can. Just cut the larger sheets to size.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 11:15:36 am »
Yes, you can. Just cut the larger sheets to size.

If you cut the bigger mats is there any issue with silicone fibres? Those fibres are very tiny.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 11:39:36 am »
I have the black BBQ one that MJ has and I'm pretty sure you can cut them. The Silmats have fibreglass fibres and you can't cut them.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 12:05:10 pm »
I've just ordered some from Amazon. Because of the fibre glass, apparently you can't cut them. It was also recommended not to cut things on them either otherwise it would render the mats useless.
From Perth WA

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »
Can I ask for a little reassurance .. can you really safely use the silmats on the BBQ, in the oven, etc?  Up to what temperature?  I have concerns about the possibility of chemical 'seepage' from the mat to the food and hence to us.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 10:28:24 pm »
Marina I don't have a silmat, but I believe the temperature  you can go to is 200.  I use silicone cake tins and a bread basket,  I also,have those black silicone sheets for the BBQ ,  it makes cleaning up so easy, but as to chemical leakage, no one will probably tell you that,  IF there is they wouldn't sell many, if we knew.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 01:02:58 am »
The silicone mats in the US can accommodate a temperature range of -40 to +480 F (or up to 250 degrees Celsius) so I expect the Australian ones would be similar. They have special BBQ ones that might tolerate a higher temperature I think.
From Perth WA

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: TM Silicone Fibreglass Mats
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03:20 am »
FYI to anyone who is interested, I bought a Thermo mat from TM essentials. It is very good quality, same thickness as the Thermomix mat. The TM essentials mat is slightly bigger than the Thermomix mat. I've bought silicone mats from ebay before, and while they were good, they were not as good as the TM essentials or Thermomix mats. Here's a pic- sorry it will be huge, I'm using tapatalk.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 11:37:21 am »
That's the one I got as well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.