Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6088647 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #16545 on: November 12, 2014, 08:04:26 am »
JD you are always organised in the gift giving department.

gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16546 on: November 12, 2014, 08:21:04 am »
Wow Judy  :o you are super organised and you've started wrapping.

We are having a very simple Xmas this year - not exchanging gifts, Oldest stepdaughter is due to have her baby on the 30th Dec, my DS is getting married, middle stepdaughter is always broke, we will just have a meal together sometime over Christmas eve, day boxing day. I'm not decorating this year apart from Christmas bush which we have growing.  :)
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #16547 on: November 12, 2014, 08:47:50 am »
Love to hear your stories Nikkit; nothing much doing here but coughing, coughing and more coughing, will it ever stop.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #16548 on: November 12, 2014, 08:50:31 am »
It took 2 weeks for the cough to disappear when I had the dreadfully lurgy. Lots of rest Troupie.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #16549 on: November 12, 2014, 09:11:14 am »
Great to see everyone's news, and the amazing macaroons, Bake off Here you come BB! What fun Nikkit. Congrats Maddy to your children.
Sorry to hear about the coughs, I had a flu jab this yet and hope it will help.

We are Into winter proper now with dark nights and very wet weather. Yesterday I shut the house up at 4.30 drawing the curtains. The garden is sodden, and I haven't quite planted all the bulbs yet. More tulips to go in if it's not too wet... Which I m not sure about. I put alliums and tulips in this week. We have terrible moles on the lawn and in the border, and have failed to catch them yet. Yesterday was so bad I never went out at all. I've just yelled at a squirrel out of the window, he's looking for my bulbs to eat!

Our young are well settled in their new lives, homes and jobs. They left the nest for good earlier this year and we are very proud of them and relieved that they are launched. The house and garden are nearly done. The tiles and splashbacks in the kitchen are going on next Monday, and I am still chasing the floor edges to finish that off. There is just the utility room to do in the garage, and a shed to fix up into a studio. The studio will be done soon and the utility may now wait til next year. I am learning to paint by attending workshops every month or so, it's great fun and I really love it. I can't wait to be painting at home too.
Our life has changed, all the livestock are gone, and my Dh's life limiting illness is the new reality, and the art is my escape, funded by my selling things we no longer need or want. I can lose myself happily for hours and forget about things and so far with the guided tuition I am quite amazed with what I can produce. So for all of us who were written off at school because we couldn't draw there is hope. I have a few more art courses booked which I am looking forward to.
We are in a run of lots of visitors - family and friends -  and the house is working well. Don't know yet if we will now ever open for B and B, but it remains an option, depending on our circumstances.  I am back to cooking again after months with no cooking mojo after we'd been in and out of hopsital this summer. Chookie's recipes as ever have helped a lot, as have other recipes, tips and hints from on here. I don't post as much, but do still pop on most days. I have sent my SS, and may have accidentally spelt their forum name wrong, so if that's the case huge apologies.
We've entertained three forum members here this year, two from Australia, and I am so grateful for this wonderful resource of friends, recipes, hints, tips and FUN. It's amazing how it works but it does, and thanks to everyone for making it such a special place, and for the mods for their hard work.
All the family got allium  bulbs for their gardens for their Xmas presents and I did that in September as I thought we'd be back in hospital for Christmas, so wehave an easier year this year. For next year I hope to paint them all a picture, which will be fun. All the Christmas TV ads are peaking and I haven't any shopping to do, so I shall just enjoy myself. I am knitting another blanket with bigger squares this time, and it's my meditation. I love it and it stops me dwelling on things, I've even learnt to knit in the car when DH is driving, but motorways are best.
Cheers from DJ x

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #16550 on: November 12, 2014, 09:16:40 am »
Lovely to hear from you Nikkit and DJ. Good to hear you are both doing ok despite very hectic lives. Take care girls XOX

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16551 on: November 12, 2014, 09:22:46 am »
Good to see you sounding cheery DJ.  The painting and knitting obviously help.  Enjoy your DH while you can. Big hugs X
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16552 on: November 12, 2014, 09:31:13 am »
Thanks for the update DJ, you sound as if you are coping much better and immersing yourself in pleasant tasks is good for the soul.  You must take some photos of your garden and painting to share with us. Keep busy with your relaxing hobbies.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #16553 on: November 12, 2014, 09:35:27 am »
DJ lovely post , painting classes are great I used to really enjoy them years ago,  keep up the goos work it sounds as if you have a good hold on things.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16554 on: November 12, 2014, 09:53:06 am »
It's great that you have found some things for you to immerse yourself in DJ.

Troupie I don't want to tell you this but my cough lasted almost 6 weeks. I eventually went to the doctor after 4 weeks and he said it was viral as my chest was clear. I'm glad it has pretty well cleared up now as I get my back fixed Saturday.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #16555 on: November 12, 2014, 09:56:30 am »
DJ that sounds so good, sounds like you are enjoying it all.
went shopping, bought a new kitchen machine.... ;D

Troupie my cough is what i had, then heart problems. I am changing doctors, a new GP

get it checked out soon. :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #16556 on: November 12, 2014, 10:10:16 am »
Had a gorgeous lunch and a BIG catch up with Karen H. today.
Great to see you again Karen - we'll catch up again when the fruit is ripe for a swap.

I have had a very lucky 2 days - lunch with Amanda yesterday and lunch with KatieJ today!!  So wonderful to be able to catch up in person with forum friends  ;D 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16557 on: November 12, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
My cough forced me back to the doc today and like cookie my chest is clear! The cough is driving me nuts not to mention the green slime. Oh did I mention the green slime?

A new antibiotic and bought myself paracetmol with 15 mg of codeine which I reckon should stop the damn coughing at night so I can get some sleep and now I will probably get constipation to add to my woes. I am a misery guts.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16558 on: November 12, 2014, 11:12:47 am »
Have you tried the Vicks on the feet trick Gert?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16559 on: November 12, 2014, 11:15:56 am »
Rikodeine is good for the night cough. I swear by it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/