Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521996 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #13515 on: February 08, 2015, 08:46:53 pm »
Thankyou Cornish and Judy ☺

Kimmy I can imagine the machine selling well after reviews have been so complimentary around the place.

Aussie Brenda, there are 4 other dies that come in 2 packs of 2.  There is the Udon & Ramen pack and also Angel Hair and Flat wide which will be like pappardelle.  I’ve ordered both packs which have been sent so just waiting on delivery now.

I would love a macaroni shaped one and used that particular shape a lot with my KA pasta press, but am thinking I could use the penne one and cut them really thinly as they come out.  Not the same obviously but would get small pieces that could be used like macaroni.  Will have to experiment with that.

Wonder, I think it just refers to the sauce. I just decided to use the linguine cutter because I hadn’t used that one yet, but it went perfectly with the dish anyway.  

Over the course of the next few weeks I will be trying the different recipes in the book; the 4 cheese carrot pasta (pappardelle) sounds nice.  You use carrot juice to flavour and colour the pasta instead of water, so am looking forward to that one.
Also the Soba salad with salmon & asparagus sounds nice.  Just need to get some buckwheat flour to make the soba noodles. Also want to try wholemeal pasta too.  Actually I don't think there was anything mentioned in the book that I don't want to try  ;D

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: February 09, 2015, 06:16:39 am »
Always good to get a recommendation Julie.  :D How is it better than your KA pasta attachments?
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:15 am »
It's just so quick and easy Mcmich!

With the KA I would first make the pasta in the bowl with the dough hook etc, then I would attach the relevant pasta attachment or if doing shapes, the pasta press and put the pasta through the attachement.  It took much longer and was more fiddly than basically just adding the ingredients to the Philips and letting it mix and extrude the pasta itself.  I have to remember to put a pot of water on to heat before starting the process so that it's nicely simmering by the time the pasta is ready to cook.  It just makes the whole process very simple and quick.

I so hope I don't have any trouble with the machine as I really like it (though it does have a 2 year warranty).  :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: February 09, 2015, 06:57:32 am »
JulieO, is the pasta thin enough for ravioli? The lasagne sheets look quite thick. DH would love to make all our pasta but it's just too time consuming with the KA so I think this is something he would like and get a lot of use out of.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13519 on: February 09, 2015, 07:48:47 am »
Seeing there would be 2 layers of the pasta, it may be a little thick.  I like the sheets to be thin for ravioli so I can't say with 100% confidence that that would be the case.  I'll try it at some stage though and will report back.  :D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: February 09, 2015, 08:10:21 am »
Loving your reports...Thanks Julie  :-*.  I picked my machine up from the post office tonight, so hopefully I will get to play tomorrow  ;)

Gosh, I've been so bad this week, I really deserve a big  smack!!

2 days ago I purchased a pink (shock huh  :P)  Wesco bread bin I have been ogling for some time.  It's vented & apparently keeps baked bread & goodies fresh...we shall see

This dreamfarm garlic press online, which apparently is the king of presses.  Honestly, I think the tupperware one is over-rated, I've had it for years & really not that impressed.  This one ejects the peel straight to the bin, so no garlicky fingers

Sadly my percolator died this week, & I do love a strong brew programmed to be made & waiting when I wake.
I've never been happy with the glass pots though, as the coffee stays only Luke warm.
After a bit of searching, I found this beuty by Breville, sold in Myer

You have the choice for it to automatically grind your beans, or use Pre-ground.  Loved the thermal carafe, or program it to just grind & brew 1 cup at a time, choosing cup size & strength....in gadgetry heaven  :D

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: February 09, 2015, 08:23:44 am »
Your kitchen must be bursting at the seams maddy - great buys.

With the ravioli question, it wouldn't be hard to roll it a bit thinner once it pops out would it? 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: February 09, 2015, 09:13:19 am »
Nice buys Maddy.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13523 on: February 09, 2015, 11:52:15 am »
If I wasn't convinced that I really need one I would be now. JulieO thanks for all the photos.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:31 pm »
Your kitchen must be bursting at the seams maddy - great buys.

With the ravioli question, it wouldn't be hard to roll it a bit thinner once it pops out would it? 

Judy, I could give it a try but these sheets are not as soft/pliable as pasta usually is when made by other methods.  It needs to be stiffer/drier so that the shapes (penne for example) keep their shape.  Otherwise they wouldn't keep a nice open cylinder and would colapse in on themselves IYKWIM.  It was the same with the KA pasta press, had to use a different pasta recipe to use in that than when using the normal rollers, fettuccine cutter for example. 
I will definitely try rolling some lasagne sheets next time I make some to see if they can be made thinner to use in ravioli for sure.  :D

My other dies are being delivered today which is nice.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: February 09, 2015, 10:10:39 pm »
That's understandable Julie, thanks for the explanation.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: February 09, 2015, 10:14:40 pm »
If I wasn't convinced that I really need one I would be now. JulieO thanks for all the photos.

You're most welcome Cookie.  There's a nice feeling of accomplishment when you make and use your own pasta in a meal and this machine makes it so much easier to do that.  

Like I've said I will try a lot of the included recipes and then will just use it whenever pasta is needed in in any recipes I see anywhere.  It's brought a bit of fun back into the kitchen for me as I was struggling there for a bit.   I know that we shouldn't eat too much of the stuff (and I'm not) so am being mindful of that, but being a new toy I can't help myself at the moment. It will settle down though.  ;D

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: February 09, 2015, 11:02:43 pm »
Loving your posts Julie, I was going to go and investigate one today but I'm not feeling 100%  this cold has settled on my chest and has me with some coughing fits.  Can't wait to see the results of the other dies , it might be good to hold off in case I want to order them too.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: February 10, 2015, 01:16:05 am »
Thanks Julie, I thought that might be the case. It still looks a great buy though so I'll watch how you go for a bit longer before I make any decision.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13529 on: February 10, 2015, 02:29:30 am »
Wonder, they aren't going to disappear, so they will be there when and if you choose to buy one.   ;D

Aussie B, I hope you feel better soon.  :)

ETA - Gert if you see this, I bought some gluten free flour today so will have a go at making penne tomorrow, just using that in the same way as normal plain flour and see how it turns out.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:32:10 am by JulieO »