Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4522231 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #6675 on: December 29, 2012, 10:19:49 pm »
I would have thought the same JD. I feel sorry for the kids lugging those huge textbooks around.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: December 29, 2012, 10:20:21 pm »
I love shoes any type of bag, dresses & cook books :)

Cp year 4 ths year in a public school has to have an apple mac laptop either air or pro. We bought him te air last xmas.

Missing my shops.

Just as well as I can see a big spend  up in california & vegas ;D

Also going to Melb soon :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »
Had friends here the other day and their 3 grand-children who attend a private school all have to have an iPad this year.  However their book list is not going to be any cheaper - they will still need all the books as well.  We thought the iPad would be able to take the place of some at least.

It's amazing what the kids have in schools these days.
My GD 4 asked me to put a certain app onto my old iPad.
I asked her if her mum had it on hers and she said no its on our iPads at kindy  ;D
As you say Judy the book list won't be any cheaper either  :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:53 am »
Hally that's amazing for a public school, what happens to all the kids that can't afford them?  I've only heard of them mandatory at high schools over here and even then I don't think it is at the public schools, our kids are at Catholic high schools and DD's was purchased by the school at no cost to us while DS's is through the school but we have to pay for it as an additonal amount each year and all repairs, breakages etc are at our cost. All books are still in hard copy at both the schools.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: December 30, 2012, 02:03:18 am »
My sister came to stay yesterday, and this morning we decided to leave the kids with the boys and hit the shops!  We both managed to find a few items of clothing, although I think I may have gotten slightly more carried away than she did.  Black trousers (need shortening, of course  :-)) ), denim 3/4 pants, casual tee, not-so-casual tee, a singlet top and a cardigan!   ;D  That should be me set for a while. 

What an unexpected treat to just pick up and go on the spur of the moment AND to be able to browse and try on things at our leisure! 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: December 30, 2012, 02:06:24 am »
Actually a public school can't mandate the students having a computer or iPad at any year level. The school can reccommend it and some schools make arrangements for parents to lease them for their children.

However if a parent decides not to enter into a lease or purchase their own and the school wishes to use them as a learning tool then the school has to male one available for any student who does not have one. Several of the schools I work with have gone down this path and I have had to adivse them on how to proceed while complying with policy and legislation.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: December 30, 2012, 02:21:57 am »
Had friends here the other day and their 3 grand-children who attend a private school all have to have an iPad this year.  However their book list is not going to be any cheaper - they will still need all the books as well.  We thought the iPad would be able to take the place of some at least.

With the iPads you cannot put a disc in them to use instead of a text book

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: December 30, 2012, 02:27:40 am »
 My poor old Volta vacuum cleaner which I have had for 20 odd years finally died so I went shopping yesterday and bought myself a Dyson.  I can't believe how much cleaner the carpet looks. :)
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: December 30, 2012, 02:28:54 am »
My sons public primary have iPads for the kids, but are school property.
DD had to have mac....and the weight of her bag with combined books, is just ludicrous!!!

Shopping....

More for the icing & filling flavours, as puffs has nutted out the perfect choux  ;)

Some yummy looking dishes

...for shortbread for next Christmas  ;).....was happy with the same brand mould I used this morning

Was the last one, and figured I'd give this a go before I spent extra on a larger one...and decide if I'd utilise it enough.

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: December 30, 2012, 02:38:57 am »
Where did you find the shortbread pans, Maddy?    . . or did you order them online?

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: December 30, 2012, 03:04:22 am »
love my Dyson vac :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: December 30, 2012, 04:19:51 am »

Hi Judy, yes I thought the same. My daughter has a think pad through school and the school purchased the online versions of the books.  it meant we still had to buy them, but as well as the physical book the school put all the e versions straight onto the laptop so kids do not have to carry books round. It also means that the physical books stay in excellent condition so you can get good price back on gumtree. we currently have  a lot of year 11 12 and first year uni (engineering) books ready to go on gumtree.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: December 30, 2012, 04:20:38 am »
Love my Dyson too

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: December 30, 2012, 05:07:21 am »
My 11 year old great niece at a private school has to have an iPad for school this year. They must be such a security issue at school.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #6689 on: December 30, 2012, 07:26:08 am »
Just home from a lovely shop at Macquarie Centre with my dear friend. DF bought heaps and heaps. I only bought a few things.
The loveliest gift I got was from my friend Michelle. She was showing me her latest oroton handbag purchase (a gorgeous tote) and then casually said "I was given an oroton handbag as a gift and it's really not my style, haven't used it" I said she should put it on eBay and then she said if you like it then it's yours. How generous was that?