Author Topic: Gert's snake in a drainpipe  (Read 14581 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Gert's snake in a drainpipe
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:12 pm »
It was just a bit thick in the pipe and i was worried it could not turn itself around as it seemed as thick as the lumen of rhe pipe. i think snakes have a hard time going in reverse in a drain pipe because of their scales but it did shoot backwards into the S bend  where it refused to come out. I got bored in the end and put the drain back together. No noises this morning so hopefully it  has found it's way out the way it came.

The bucket is 30cm deep. The snakes head was at the bottom of the bucket with the frog toes just hanging out of it's  mouth. I figured  there was about 10 to 15 centimetres above the bucket and still the thickest part showing so maybe the snake was about a metre or less which would be about average. I have see a lot skinnier and longer and a few as thick  and  about 1.5 metres. It looked about  3.5 to 4 centimetres thick. How big would the lumen of the pipe be Robyn?

Gert
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:18:59 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 01:16:09 am »
Millimetres or centimetres Gretchen?  4mm is only a big worm and your snake looked bigger than that.  Is water running freely through the pipes - I'd be worried if it wasn't this morning.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 01:21:51 am »
Millimetres or centimetres Gretchen?  4mm is only a big worm and your snake looked bigger than that.  Is water running freely through the pipes - I'd be worried if it wasn't this morning.

Thanks for that Judy. It is centimetres..

i have not run any water yet. I  am giving it plenty of time to find it's way out. it must have travelled a fair distance.

Gert
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:37:35 am by judydawn »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 01:29:08 am »
Bah - he's only in the sink.  :)
Imagine if he was in the dunny and it was the only dunny in the house? :o
Veeerrrrryyyyy interesting times then!!!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:07 am »
Bah - he's only in the sink.  :)
Imagine if he was in the dunny and it was the only dunny in the house? :o
Veeerrrrryyyyy interesting times then!!!

Oh yeah!  Like finding the only toilet for miles around and frogs are sitting in  it on it and around the rim. Fastest pee ever.

Gert

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 03:25:01 am »
I saw the pic on FB…phew glad it was you and not me Gert!

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 04:06:17 am »
Oh wow! A snake in the drain! Do you have a local snake catcher? They'll come and get it and put it safely outside. I have to call ours tomorrow cause I saw a red belly black slither under the veg patch. My two and four year old are stuck inside cause its right near the sandpit.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 04:22:28 am »
Gert - you reminded me of my first venture out to a station in the Kimberley's when I was about 18.

I knew it all...obviously :-)) I'd been living in the Gascoyne on a station for a year, so I'd done a few things and knew everything there was to know!  :-)) :-))

Had my own little unit, complete with my very own bathroom that I didn't have to share with anyone. Bliss!  Was pretty happy really, til it came time to go to the loo.
I drop my daks, I lift the lid and there are about 2 dozen eyes peering up at me  :o Big green frogs! Crikey! In my rush to get dropped daks up and out of the bathroom I managed to get tangled up in the shower curtain. More big green frogs, like about 20 more!! I'd upset them they were hopping around and on me! I was outta there! What on earth was I going to do now?
So I took a deep breath (may I remind you this was a looooonnnnngggg time before I resorted to using 'big girl panties' - I was 18 for crying out loud - no way did I need them!) and ventured back into the bathroom, really needing to go to the loo now. I drop the lid, give it a flush, keep one eye on the shower curtain gently swaying in the breeze that had frogs hanging off it, lift the lid...nope there's still 2 dozen eyes looking at me.
The need to sit was err...rather important now and the thought of going out the back scared me as I'd been informed not to go near the river due to a resident croc. (and my little unit was pretty much on the river...)

It wasn't going to be a good day for the frogs.

I perched well above the seat of the loo, went about my business, apologised profusely to the frogs and flushed.
It took me all of a day before I realised that it didn't matter what I subjected the frogs to, they were pretty happy in 'their' bathroom and they were not moving out. We did come to an agreement - of sorts - after one terrifying moment when one frog decided my bare bum would be a good testing ground to see if his sticky little foot pads really do stick. I nearly went out through the wall of the bathroom head first that morning. Woke me up pretty darned quick!
In the shower they didn't like shampoo in their eyes, so I did wash my hair carefully trying not to splash it on them.
I did miss them after I left there, it was a bit weird being watched all the time in the bathroom, but I got used to it!

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 04:55:28 am »
Gert, I still think you are one brave lady,  ;D  I am with Cookie on this one and would be on Lizard Is as well.  I am sitting here with my feet up off the floor.  Am absolutely petrified of snakes whether harmless or not.  Was chased by a farmhand holding a tiger snake he had just killed when I was about 5 yrs old and still have nightmares about it.  It was still moving and I was screaming my head off as he held it up towards my face supposedly so I could have a look at it.  He was no longer employed after that and my father always told me that snakes were more scared of me than I should be of them.  I always stomped through the bush after that to make a lot of noise hoping no snakes would come anywhere near me.  My Dad always laughed he could hear me coming a mile off.  

Nikkit, a great story, don't mind frogs  ;D

Marie

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 07:05:18 am »
Wonderful stories. Great to share . What a family we are.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
Nikkit you writing has me in stitches again.

We had similar fun with the lovely green tree frogs in Broome. They loved to be in the outside laundry, in the plug holes of the concrete trough. I would be rinsing clothes and the water would drain out and there would be a tree frog. They also screamed loudly when they were under the toilet seat and you sat on them. It took me a while to learn to check first, especially if a lizard was running round the floor. We had an outside toilet and laundry. Thank goodness it was only lizards and tree frogs. When MIL visited she wouldn't shower with any in the room watching her.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:11 am »
I remember having baths at my grandparents when I was a kid with muddy brown water (water source = murray river) and I was always scared there was going to be snakes come out of the tap or up the drain. I was told it was impossible. Now I know it's not and I'm very glad I'm not going there for a bath ever again.

How the hell did it even get in there?

:o
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2013, 12:03:51 pm »
Gert I laughed at your snake tale!! i havnt been on the forum for a while as I have been busy and we have also had some mice in the house.. now i don't really mind snakes, but mice.. i have a huge mice phobia!!! i feel very pathetic ! and hope we get rid of them soon!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »
Get a snake GHM, it will eat the mice. Perhaps Gert would send one over.  ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/