Author Topic: Attention all iPad and iphone owners - exciting news  (Read 8793 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Attention all iPad and iphone owners - exciting news
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:05:07 am »
Oh Forumthermomix, how many ways do I love thee?

Well, now there's a new way - via the tapatalk app on my iPad, thanks to MM getting the site set up for it.  Thanks again, MM!

The moment he told me it was set up I downloaded tapatalk to try it out (I think it was £1.90, having now bought it I can't go back to check as it just tells me I have it  ;D )  I could see straight away that it was good.  But only this morning did I fully appreciate HOW good.

I don't get much time on my computer anymore between the demands of DD2 and DD1's desire to be on my computer (usually doing legitimate things which I can't argue with, and only occasionally playing).  But I do get a bit of time each day on my iPad.

Now, I know that it's possible to browse the forum using safari on the ipad - that's what I've been doing.  But it isn't particularly enjoyable.  So I've not been so very much in touch with all you lovely forum members in the last year or so.  ALL THAT IS CHANGED!!  Of course, now my forum addiction is resurfacing, so I'm going to need to watch that and look out the number to FTA (ForumThermomix Anonymous).  I sat down to give myself 10 minutes reading the forum, and looked up 1.5 hours later (oops!)

Everything is so clear, easy to read and navigate - all in all, an absolute pleasure.  I knew that using a forum reader app would make a difference, I just didn't realise quite how much.  It's way better than reading it on my computer, never mind via safari on my iPad IMHO.

The negative - you can't post replies  >:(  Although you can read and reply to your PMs.  With any luck tapatalk will add this feature.  And another app, forum reader, says that adding SM based forums like this one is next on its list (although I'm not holding my breath).  There is a free read only version of that app, and a paid version which lets you post too.

In the meantime, at least there's ONE app which we can use, and the forum is now set up for it.  And I can jump on my computer for a few minutes to reply when I want to.

I am one very happy camper, it's like sitting down with a really great food magazine which is full of my internet friends.

In summary, I like it.  Can you tell?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: Attention all iPad and iphone owners - exciting news
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:19:11 am »
Just a quick update. 

I went back to my ipad (OK, yes, I really need to look out the FTA number) and it did a little update.  And then .... I COULD POST REPLIES!!! (Caroline does a little dance)  So I celebrated by posting one  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »
I downloaded tap talk today and REALLY like it :)

Nik

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.283306,-0.949746
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:04 pm »
Ill have a look at the tap talk but im curious to know the problem you have had with using the forum on the iPad. I use the computer and iPad approximately 50%/50% and find no difference what so ever. I have a PC desktop which i have saved the forum as a favourite on under internet explorer and on the iPad have saved the link to my homescreen, apart from being a smaller screen and touch screen rather than mouse navigation I havent noticed any differences. Maybe there is something ive been missing all this time without even knowing it?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:10:25 pm »
I've downloaded the app and it looks good although I will need to play around with it some more. I actually like the layout of forum and find it easier to navigate but I'm sure once I've had a play with this i will find it just as easy.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:41:23 pm »
Ill have a look at the tap talk but im curious to know the problem you have had with using the forum on the iPad. I use the computer and iPad approximately 50%/50% and find no difference what so ever. I have a PC desktop which i have saved the forum as a favourite on under internet explorer and on the iPad have saved the link to my homescreen, apart from being a smaller screen and touch screen rather than mouse navigation I havent noticed any differences. Maybe there is something ive been missing all this time without even knowing it?

Well, partly my eyesight! LOL. I can't be bothered to get my glasses out (and don't like to admit that i need them) and so it's very hard to read.  Both in terms of font size and in terms of the page feeling cluttered as everything is shrunk to fit in the screen.  Tapatalk filters out everything but the posts themselves, no ads etc.

The other thing is my hand-eye coordination / apparently big fingers which find it hard to press the right page number / next page, etc.

I found out after using the app for a while that I could change the font size under settings.  So it went from much easier and clearer to read to being really easy to read.

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:56 pm »
I downloaded it and i have to admitt.. It is fast.. It shows all the posts or.discussions u were in.   Yes.. First impression. MELIKE
Live life to the fullest

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:42:23 pm »
I've used it a bit more and do like the presentation and it does make the forum easier to read without all the advertisements. Thanks for the heads up - another purchase i never knew i needed!!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:21:55 pm »
O.k....I have downloaded app. But I am having trouble getting this forum up and running....what am I doing wrong?......am I having a completely bonde moment?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:40 pm »
O.k.....I figured it out...actually it does make it easier and quicker to where you want to go.
I also like that I don't keep tapping the adverts on the right!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:08 pm »
I'm finding the app much quicker and easier to use on the iPad or iPhone rather than using safari. I can see me spending even more time on the forum cause it's so easy. Pretty good app. And photos are so easy to attach.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:30:44 am »
Well I've had a good play, and love it!
I did have an issue copying recipes to transfer to "paprika"....it would copy all these symbols as well....so I clicked on open in safari, and it worked a treat.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 04:55:42 am »
Oops, just went to check the forum via the app and the pop up said, we see you are using this app a lot would you care to rate it?
Ok ok so I'm addicted to this forum, I admit it!!!( I did rate it too-5 stars)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:26 am »
Uh oh something else to check out.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:36 am »
Just downloaded it on to my new iPad and I really love it! No emoticons though. Loving this iPad!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand