Author Topic: DD1 wants to try being vegetarian  (Read 8783 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
DD1 wants to try being vegetarian
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

DD1 wants to try being vegetarian for a bit to see how she gets on.  Does anyone have ideas of things I could try?  She's a bit anti-beans but i think i could get away with some if the meal overall was very tasty.  She enjoys tasty things so long as they aren't spicy - she's ok with something like a very mild korma.

As she has been picky with veg for the last year i very much want to encourage her in this - she's wanting to be more adventurous since seeing Hugh F-Ws veg program.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas, as I'm a bit frozen by being used to her rejecting veggies and anything adventurous.  But I think this could be the beginning of her return to the eater she used to be (I hope!!)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: DD1 wants to try being vegetarian
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »
Caroline, how old is DD
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »
She's just turned 8
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:33:13 pm »
I've been vegetarian for 30+ years now and love it. 

Considering DD's age it is important for you to do some research on food combining which will help you to understand how one type of food complements another, therefore giving a full range of protein, minerals, vitamins, etc. (I am sure there is a 'technical' term for that, but I can't think of it at the moment - perhaps nutrients would cover it).  Actually, it would be wise for anyone considering changing their diet to look into this regardless, but I think it is more important to do this for youngesters as adults often have a bit more of an innate understanding of what works and what doesn't.

There are lots of recipes on the forum and I am sure you have had a look at them as well but you could maybe take a look at some of the national Vegetarian Society's web sites - I know there is a British one and am sure there must be an Australian one - in fact, I would imagine that each country would have one so if there is one cuisine you are more used to than another just go to the country and see what they have to offer.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:42:07 pm »
Cuilidh you are so right.My DD3 started off been a vegetarian then a vegan, all was well while at home.

Then she went traveling for 18 months, when she got back she looked like death warmed up.
Skin and bones, hair falling out, hated everybody and everything and crying all day long  and having suicidal thoughts. 

she is much better now, still needs her b12  injection every 3 months. she is eating everything now, minus the  meat and chicken ;D

vitamin B12  is  a very important vitamin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12_deficiency

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:48:38 pm »
Yes, Fundj, B12 is probably the hardest one to substitute, although some multi vitamin tablets do incorporate it now. You must have been so worried about your daughter and I am glad to see that she is better now.  Essentially, there is nothing wrong with a vegan diet, but you do have to be very aware of the nutritional shortcomings and ensure that you compensate appropriately.  At times I am totally vegan, but generally am more comfortable as an ovo-lacto vegetarian.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13:07 pm »
It is the worst thing that we have been through, we actually picked her up and took her to the doctor the doctor did want her to go the hospital, but she promised to by a good girl if she could come home, that’s how she was talking like is was 5 again it was very worrying the way she spoke too .She is in Oslo now, but i have seen photos of her and she is looking good.i will see her in bali in march  ;D   

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:21:16 pm »
Sounds like your daughter has stabilised, Uni, I can almost feel your relief at that.  At least now she (and you) know what to be aware of so she can now go on from here and self monitor and keep fit and healthy with supplements.

Caroline, don't be put off by all of this - it's simply a case of being sure to get food combinations right and to use supplments if necessary.  Remember, too many supplements can be just as bad as not enough - it's simply common sense.  And remember, there are millions and millions of vegetarians around the world and they are all fit and well.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:56:40 pm »
Caroline, My DD17 has been a ova-lacto Veg for about 3 years. The lentil bolognaise is delicious and also Cindys 'sausage' rolls are wonderful. My daughter also enjoys quorn products (frozen from Coles) and these are a handy standby if we are having something I can't convert
Denise

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 12:05:28 am »
Caroline, my kids, now 10 & 7 have grown up being vegetarian (we cook vegetarian, but don't stop them eating meat if we're out, but they generally don't want to anyway), and my husband and I have been ovo-lacto vegetarian most of our lives. The kids are healthy, energetic and doing fine at school, even though DS7 is as fussy as they come. Your DD1 may only need B12 supplements if she is totally vegan, but not if eating dairy and eggs.

There are lots of different styles of vegetarian cooking (personally I'm not a big salad fan, so don't buy the only-rabbit-food argument!). Quirky Jo's blog http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/ has some fabulous recipes, so explore there - her lentil bolognaise has become a staple in our household since I bought my TMX. Also check out if your local Seventh-day Adventist church happens to be offering cooking classes. They promote a vegetarian diet and some churches have community classes every so often. Aileen Sforcina's Rainbow Recipes book is also helpful. Soups are also a great way of getting lots of nutrition, although it's going into the wrong time of year for that.

Happy cooking. I love vegetarian cooking - IMO it's much less messy than cooking with meat!
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 02:26:47 am »
Like Jenny, I can't speak highly enough of Quirky Jo's recipes.  One that is my absolute favourite is her satay cashew chicken recipe, only I substitute firm tofu for the chicken (you will be familiar with this recipe, it is referred to in at least one posting each week).  It is great.  There are more and more vegetarians joining this forum now so one way or another I am sure we can keep your daughter going with loads of good, nutritious recipes

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 03:41:58 pm »
Thanks so much, everyone.  What I agreed with her is that she'll be mainly vegetarian while she tries it out, but still eat the occasional meat and fish so that I don't need to worry about B12 until she sees whether this is definitely the direction she wants to go.  If it is, DH and I are more than happy to join her (I used to be veggie and only reluctantly went back to meat when I married), and then I'll remind myself how to get the full range of protein enzymes (at the moment I only remember that it needs to be paid attention to) and ensure that we get B12.  I'm also giving her kefir and kombucha drinks, and sourdough bread made with kefir, as these contain small amounts of B12.  

At the moment I'm giving her eggs and cheese every couple of days, because if I remember rightly she gets her full proteins and B12 from these?  But if she decides to stick to this, and we join her, then we may as well go vegan as DD2 is dairy, egg and gluten intolerant.  And then I'll definitely buy the Rainbow Recipes book (which I'm tempted to get anyway).

However, one step at a time.  Right now I'm just happy she's willing to be more adventurous with her food, and upping the veggie intake after 2 years of uphill struggle with getting her to eat anything but bland food with the meerest hint of vegetables, and the challenge is just to find some child friendly vegetarian recipes that others have found successful.

I love the idea of the cashew chicken with tofu, as DH and I love this in its chicken form.  If I just down the spices slightly and use the tofu, I think it will probably be a hit.

Unfortunately Quorn contains egg and dairy, apparently, so if I cook with this (which I used a lot back when I was veggie - it didn't contain dairy then, for sure, but it was a long time ago) then I would need to make a separate meal for DD2, which I'm not keen to do  :(  I wish they'd make it vegan, which I'm pretty sure it used to be before it was taken over by a big brand.  It's good that it's available everywhere now rather than just the UK, and in all the supermarkets, but it's a pain about the egg and dairy.

I'm going to try Cyndi's savoury apple couscous tonight, the lentil bolognaise you recommend tomorrow, and the tofu version of cashew chicken the day after that.

Any other ideas?

PS.  Oh stink!  I just thought to check whether barley is gluten free before making the couscous (we use barley couscous).  I'd always assumed it was as I can eat it no problem - but then I can eat spelt too, just not wheat or rye.  Barley is NOT gluten free, so I shouldn't be giving it to DD2  :o >:(  Crikey, now I don't know what to make for dinner  ???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:55:13 pm by CarolineW »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 07:11:54 pm »
Just a quick thought - when you make the rice to go with the cashew tofu meal, mix the brown rice 50 / 50 with quinoa, that works really well.

It looks like you are already up and running with the food combining so things will go well, you just have to get used to going back and cooking some different foods again.  Good luck and let us know how you go.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 01:44:41 am »
Caroline, sounds like you are well on the way. Another 'my invention' dish that my DS7 loves (and this is a child who believes that pasta and cheese is all the nutrition one needs!) is my chick pea stew - something I came up as a quick and easy no-fuss after work dinner years ago. It is:

1-2 onions, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 chilli deseeded or cayenne pepper
1-2 carrots, finely diced
2 tins chick peas, drained (I'm a bit fussy here, I prefer the Annalisa brand)
1 tin tomato soup
1/2 tin water
1 tsp sugar
A handful of basil
Salt & pepper

Method

Fry onions and carrot, until almost cooked.
Add garlic and chilli/cayenne pepper. Fry one minute.
Add chick peas, soup and water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened to a consistency that suits you.
Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, basil, salt & pepper to taste.

We usually serve it with couscous, but you could use rice. These days, I tend to use 3 cans of chick peas, as the boys' appetite is beginning to match DH's. You could throw in peas and carrots as well.

As you can see, I haven't converted it to the TMX, but when I use that, it's a similar process - I just let the TMX do the chopping and sauting. And I reduce the water a bit. Cook at 100 degrees, REVERSE speed 1.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 03:06:23 am »
My 6yo DD and 2yo DS are lacto ovo vegetarian all their life (I was vegetarian during the whole pregnancy), DH and myself are lacto ovo most of our lives as well.  DD's favourite is brown lentil soup, cottage rolls always come handy, DS loves baked tofu and vegetarian cheat nacho. Bolognese always favourites too, I used brown lentil and TVP.  We loves EDC salami fettucini (I made vegetarian style with mushroom instead of salami and add lots of vege), every week in our menu.

All the best!
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.