Author Topic: can you make those nice scented block things to go in cupboards??  (Read 23682 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: can you make those nice scented block things to go in cupboards??
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 12:57:23 am »
That's what I figured, thanks Marina.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 09:52:36 pm »
Well, I made these today and it was hilarious!  I had a bottle of Lemon Myrtle essential oil lurking around (it was only 8 years out of date), but at least it had more than 15 ml in it, so it seemed a good starting point - and I knew that DH would prefer a "woodsy" smell to a floral one, so I reckoned I was on to a winner.

I used red and yellow colour as I thought a terracotta shade would be quite nice - and I actually got the colour pretty well as I wanted it.

The mixing went well - everything was good until inspiration struck (I should never listen to my inspiration).  I decided that I didn't really want to work the dough with my hands as they would smell of Lemon Myrtle from now until next year so put on my trusty kitchen rubber gloves.  Trust me, this is not a good idea as the dough happily sticks to the gloves and nowhere else.  In my efforts to transfer the dough from gloves to baking paper I got the beautifully coloured, smelly dough EVERYWHERE!

Anyway, I eventually got some dough rolled out and cut up (the dough was just a bit sticky so I have a couple of interesting shapes, but that's OK) and now it is sitting in the kitchen drying.

My TMX is full to the brim of water, soaking the end of the dough out and it took me ages to clean up the gloves and general mess.

The house smells very strongly of Lemon Myrtle (and so do my hands) and I have every window and door open (oh why is it not as windy today as it was yesterday to help waft the smell out into the neighbourhood?).

I was listening to a Queen CD whilst all this was going on so, between jiggling my wobbly bits to We are the Champions, Fat Bottomed Girls, etc. and sloshing terracotta coloured goop around the kitchen, it was quite a sight.  Now I will wait to see how they smell when they have dried out.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 12:23:06 am »
Sounds like you had fun Marina, we do get in a pickle sometimes don't we  :D Waiting now to see how they turned out for you and was it worth the effort.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 12:25:43 am »
Thanks for my morning giggle Marina  :D :D I do hope they work out and were worth all your troubles. Would love to see a pic of the finished ones.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:41 am »
Would bugs eat these do you think?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 07:51:57 am »
Cookie NO ONE and NOTHING is going near this batch, I can tell you that!!  My hands no longer smell so bad, but the house is very "aromatic"!  Actually, with the correct fragrance combination I don't see why you can't use it to try to control bugs - I think I read somewhere recently that a combination of peppermint, eucalyptus and Lavender works for that.

Kathryn, I'll try to get a photo, but no promises.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:36 am »
Thanks for the giggle at your antics Marina.It's good to hear that you are a Queen groupie as well :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »
Love Freddie Mercury's voice and Brian May is an amazing guitarist.  Queen were such a great group and I love listening to them.  There was recently a two part documentary on TV here on them and I was glued to the screen.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
thanks for the giggle when l read your story this morning
l was trying to not laugh to loud as l did not want to wake the kids
thanks for sharing

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 07:26:45 pm »
Kathryn, I tried to take a photo for you but I couldn't re-size it down and it was HUGE, so I'm afraid you'll have to use your imagination!  I left them to air dry for a week and they are fairly firm, verging on hard (I wouldn't try hitting them with a hammer to see just how firm they are, though, you would probably end up with a crumbly mess).  I think in winter you would have to dry them in an oven - anyone got any ideas on that?

Anyway, after a week they are still giving off a strong aroma (which you would expect!) so I have put them in wee organza gift bags and hung them around the house.  I am pretty pleased with them overall and would make more (but perhaps not use rubber kitchen gloves!).

Cookie, I don't know if bugs would eat them or not, but I think they would be fairly well protected in the organza bags - I don't think even ants could get into them.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 05:55:14 pm »
Could you still use either though Marina?

Hi Judy, hope you're well.  You could use either if all you're looking for is a nice smell.  However, if you also want the therapeutic / germ fighting effects of Essential oils, then it's essential  ;) to use Essential oils.

Take care.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 07:14:14 pm »
I had forgotten about these so enjoyed reading the description of my adventures!  I think I might just give these another go for Xmas and would definitely go for the pure essential oils this time.  Unfortunately I cannot remember how long the scent lasted for but I remember leaving them hanging about the house for many months before I threw them out. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 08:29:27 am »
Hi Caroline, nice to see you posting a few idea for people to try today. All good here thanks and I trust the same applies to you and yours in the UK.  Thanks for bumping this one, I had quite a laugh at Marina's antics for the second time around having forgotten all about this thread.