Author Topic: In The Mix  (Read 7843 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
In The Mix
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:07:27 pm »
One of my customers is thinking of buying the In The Mix book, but wanted to know whether all the ingredients were accessible in the UK, or whether they would be Australia only things (I guess like Crio Bru).  As I  don't have the book I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask you lovely ladies and gents as you're bound to know  :-*

She's wanting to make Saturday night meals which are special - is this the right book for her?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: In The Mix
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:17:16 pm »
This is one TM book that for me was a waste of money as I have never used it. The recipes are "not my cup of tea"
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 02:36:24 pm »
I found it much the same. Rather 'posh' in a way. Tenina's or Alyce's book would be a better buy in my opinion.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »
I sold mine on Ebay and bought Tenina's ! I'd had it about 6 months and not used it ! I found the recipes not really suitable for the kids so a bit pointless for us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »
I looked at it but it wasn't for me either me.  Cookie is right,  the other books are far better.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Justine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 02:51:20 pm »
I actually love this book.  While most recipes can't be whipped up in under 30 minutes, it's a great book if you like to potter in the kitchen for a few hours for a special dinner.  :)

~ Justine

Mama Fergie

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:05:53 pm »
I don't have this book but my DD's friend has it and after looking through it I would not contemplate buying it.

It does nothing for me whatsoever and I am a cookbook fanatic.

Tenina's books win hands down. No comparison in my opinion  :)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »
Hmmm. 

I don't have it as I know I don't have the time or energy to fiddle around in the kitchen in my current season of life (previously I'd have loved spending an hour or 2 'creating'), and I DID buy Tenina's book.  While I think it's a great book, there are a number of key ingredients that I can't get here in the UK, so I semi regret buying it and wish I'd got Alyce's instead (although I'm holding out for the e-book of hers).

That's really what my customer is trying to avoid - the ingredients which can't easily (or at all) be found in the UK.  On the other hand, she's happy to spend an hour or 2 in the kitchen on a Saturday whipping up something really special.  In light of that, is this her book or is there a different one you would recommend?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 04:52:53 pm »
In the Mix is a book of recipes from chefs in the main - chefs love this book as it shows the versatlity of the machine and different techniques; so if your friend likes to do cheffie type dishes it is a great book but if she just wants normal meals then this book is not for her. On the whole the ingredients are available here in South Africa so they would be available in the UK - some brand names may be different.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 08:29:26 pm »
Thanks!  You've given me lots of good information to go back to her with.

mcmich

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 09:36:54 pm »
I have this book and use it quite a bit. There are family friendly meals in there too.
I love the deconstructed cheese cake though - not a an overly hard recipe and presents beautifully.
All the ingredients should be available in the UK.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:40 pm »
Sorry, i don't have it..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 11:13:55 pm »
Got it but have only made 1 recipe from it.  We entertain a lot.  Usually Dinner parties.  I try to have an interesting starter, popular type main, and go all out for the sweets.  Usually make 2 ,  so guests can choose.  They usually have both.  Why I am saying all this ,  is maybe your client might be better to buy Tenina's new Dessert eBook.

Offline MargC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:46 pm »
On the whole I like the book.

Some ingredients are hard to source in the bush but they are "dry" ingredients. I just stock up when I visit the city twice a year.

Offline Karen-F

• View Profile
    • The Thermomix Diaries
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:17 am »
Hi

I have owned my TMX for about 12 months now and have a few TMX cookbooks My Way of Cooking and GF/WF to name a couple, and recently (personal b'day pressie) I bought myself a few new TMX cookbooks including In The Mix.  

I LOVE In The Mix. I love the photography, paper stock, font (its a beautiful book) but most of all, I really love the recipes. I love that this cookbook has modernised the types of meals I can cook in the Thermomix. I also love that many of the recipes have mini-recipes within and Dani has a lovely and personal way of talking you through such options.

In regards to your customer's request, I think it does present nice options for weekend cooking.  I have 3 young children and hubby and I don't get to go out to dinner as much as we once did. We have spoken about having 'date nights' in and I like that this cookbook gives a range of meals...including a couple of nice restaurant quality ones that I can now make for home.

Another good resource you might be able to direct you customer too would be this blog http://inthemixtricks.com/ lots of great photos and discussion by the blogger as she cooks through the book.

I hope this helps :)
Best wishes
Karen

http://thethermomixdiaries.wordpress.com/
Karen
Facebook: The Thermomix Diaries