Author Topic: Recipe Reviews from the new edition of the EDC 2013  (Read 50520 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Reviews from the new edition of the EDC 2013
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 07:50:41 am »
Laura you did really well figuring things out without any help.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 02:32:31 am »
I wasn't too sure about buying the new EDC, but the ring binding on my old one was falling apart so I took the plunge.
I am really enjoying the bigger format, and the fact that it is properly bound.
I am a bit puzzled by some of the changes to recipes that I make all the time e.g. the bolognaise, but I have tended to stick to making the recipe the way that I have always done.
I did make the beef stroganoff last week, which I haven't done in a while, and it was delicious. Full of flavour, albeit a bit too much sauce.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 03:45:03 am »
I guess if you are happy with the way the recipe was before it was changed buzzbee then there's no reason to try the new version. I agree with you that it's a much nicer book though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 08:05:23 am »
I must agree this book is inspiring to a new owner, whereas I found the old one simply a way to tell us how to use the thermomix.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 09:06:44 am »
I made the cauliflower soup from the new EDC tonight. The recipe was easy to follow, worked well, and is very healthy. Unfortunately it lacked a bit of flavour. At the table we added quite a bit of salt and pepper, and Parmesan cheese to make it tasty. But I would like to know what else to add to jazz it up a bit. Has anyone else made this recipe?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 09:47:46 am »
I am not really a recipe sort of cook and used the EDC just a a guide to get me started in the method. If the recipe has no added  anything much it is gunna be bland. When using the EDC recipes just add the spices and herbs and extra bits as you would normally. It is a matter of adapting your own recipes to cook successfully in the TMX. This will come with experience.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 10:38:09 am »
Thanks Gert, I know what you mean and appreciate the reply.  The thing is that without a Themomix I would never have bothered with a pureed vegetable soup, particularly cauliflower, so I don't really have a standard cauliflower soup recipe.  I guess I expected the EDC to provide more inspiration as well as just a method.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Recipe Reviews from the new edition of the EDC 2013
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 11:24:56 am »
You could try some Umami paste :) It gives anything a real oomph :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 11:31:28 am »
Maybe a pinch of cayenne pepper?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 12:03:21 pm »
I had the same happen once and DD added some curry powder to it. Just enough to taste, not over power.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:09 pm »
All good ideas as cauliflower puree really needs a bit of something .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 03:10:14 am »
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I now wish I had some leftover cauliflower soup to experiment with.

Offline Thermowoman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:10 am »
Have gone through three new recipe books in 5 years! I find the quality of the paper and makeup so poor for quite a high price that I now prefer my collection of print outs from the Internet! As for mistakes... well that is par for the course in many  recipe books.... Proof readers are not chefs!  Usually.... shame

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 04:31:25 am »
Does the recipe list refer to an updated EDC from the 2013 book?  My book is printed in May 2013 and includes Sticky Date Pudding, but it doesn't appear on this list.

The reason I am asking is that my EDC states "that all oven temperatures are for fan forced ovens". The recipe for the Sticky Date pudding states to bake at 180C for approx 50 mins. I thought that sounded a little high so baked at 170C  for 40 mins and tested it then. It was cooked, but also burnt on the edges. I am disappointed because I made it for guests. In an attempt to salvage it I cut off fine slivers off the edges in the hope of avoiding the burnt cake taste. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this particular recipe.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2015, 05:01:31 am »
I don't know how many reprints of the 2013 EDC have been made Chocolatte, I have the same version as yours.  This recipe doesn't seem to have changed, it's the same as in my 2008 version of the EDC.

The recipes listed are only those which have been reviewed, the complete list is here in Cookbook Contents.  There were some adjustments made to some recipes, you will see the comments alongside those affected.  There is nothing for the sticky date pudding though. 

Does your oven usually cook well at given temperatures & times?  I've checked out a couple of pages of reviews from the recipe in the original EDC and no-one seems to have had a problem with the time and temperature.  Perhaps you could place a thermometer in your oven to make sure it's running true.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.