Author Topic: KFC Coating ...... revisited  (Read 195286 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
KFC Coating ...... revisited
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:11:15 am »
KERRIE FARM CHICKEN COATING

There are 4 steps:

1.    Soak the chicken in the Buttermilk Mix
2.    Make a Spice Mix
3.    Make a Flour Mix
4.    Cook in pan on stove top for breast OR in pan for short time and then in the oven for the pieces.

The Spice Mix list looks extensive, but it makes enough for several
coatings, keep in an air tight container.  All measurements are in
Australian tablespoons - 20g or 2/3 oz.

The Spice Mix could also be used for pork or seafood. A further possibility
is that it can be shallow fried or shallow fried and finished off in the
oven. An advantage is using the buttermilk which is a by-product from making
butter.  The spices used, I experimented with to get a mix that I liked.
Feel free to experiment.  To make it spicier you could reduce the ratio of
flour mix to spice mix.

Can make a nice gift for a friend giving them a packet of the Spice Mix and
a packet of the Flour Mix.

CHICKEN:
Use skinless chicken breast sliced into flat slices about 1cm thick; or  
Pieces with skin and bones in; or    
A whole chicken cut into 8 pieces.
Skinless chicken can be used but will be a little dryer.

BUTTERMILK MIX:

1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of paprika

1.  Mix Buttermilk and other above spices ingredients in a bowl.
2.  Pour this mixture over the chicken and place in the fridge for from 1
hour to overnight.

SPICE MIX:

1 tablespoon white pepper
3 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon dried Greek Oregano
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon cardamom
1/2 tablespoon cloves
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon Allspice
1/2 tablespoon celery seeds

1.  Place all in the TM bowl and process on speed 7/8/9 until a fine powder.

2.  Add Spice Mix to the flour coating mix for the chicken, see below:

FLOUR MIX:

2 cups of plain flour
2 rounded tablespoons of Spice Mix
2 tablespoon of buttermilk.
1 tablespoon of Baking powder

Mix together with fingers until small lumps form, smaller than a pea.  You
may need to add more buttermilk.

COATING & COOKING CHICKEN

Boned pieces:
Drain chicken leaving some buttermilk on.  Dip chicken pieces into lumpy
flour mix and shallow fry in oil (I used rice bran oil) over medium heat,
until lightly brown and place in oven to finish cooking. 15 to 20 minutes at
175c.
Or
Skinless breasts:
Drain chicken leaving some buttermilk on.  Dip breast pieces into lumpy
flour mix and shallow fry until golden, turn and cook other side.

members' comments

JD - Oh Chookie, this is so delicious. Bit of trouble to go to but at least we have our spice mix ready for a few more coatings. Exchanged the celery seeds with parsley as I couldn't find them and couldn't find my allspice. Used a mixture of oil and butter for frying and from 1 huge chicken fillet (500g) I got enough to serve 5 people.

MJ - it was fantastic! I used a packet and a half of chicken pieces - marylands, wing & breast pieces together etc. I didn't notice the pepper flakes in the recipe, so didn't use them! It was fine without them. The only thing I didn't have was nutmeg. I couldn't find it anywhere!! I didn't have any buttermilk, so used plain yoghurt. Also, there's no need to make a batter, just plonk the coated chicken into the flour mixture. I use a large baking dish to shallow fry and only had to cook two lots of chicken pieces. They were very much appreciated by DH, DS and a drop in. Thanks for a great recipe Chookie!!

Chelsea - This coating is fantastic Chookie - very authentic (aside from the lack of oil and grease).  My Hubby said to say a huge big thanks!!! I used chicken breasts (sliced in half to make them nice and thin) and rolled them in natural yoghurt and then straight into the lumpy flour mix.  They were coated beautifully.  I cut some into smaller pieces for the boys (large nugget size) but they were a pain to fry.  Next time I will just stick to large pieces. 10/10 -  YUMMMMMMMY!!!!!

You can substitute spelt flour for plain wheat flour.  When baking with spelt flour you just need to be aware that it behaves a little differently to wheat.  You need to either reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by about 20% or add 20% extra flour to get the best results with spelt.

VHJ - This is absolutely delicious Chookie. We all loved it and will be making it again soon. Next time I will reduce the amount of the flour mix as I have lots left over & as it's had raw chicken in it will have to throw out the leftovers. If I'd been using my brain I would have put some aside before coating the chicken & just added extra as I needed it. I will also cook it on a rack in the oven to prevent the underside going soggy.  Oh well- live & learn. Thanks for a great recipe Chookie.
Next time I split the buttermilk mix in two and added chilli flakes to one for a " hot & spicy" version for me. Yummo. Tasted fantastic hot and was just as nice cold according to DH.

JD - Did this one with maryland pieces cut at the joint - more messing around than the thin pieces of chicken breast but equally as nice.   I did skin the.  I double dipped one but in the end I couldn't tell which one it was!.  I forgot to cook them on a rack like VHJ suggested but they were fine.

CC - Really wonderful Chookie, thumbs up from this household. Used VHJ's idea of placing on a rack when in the oven and that really kept it crispy.

Mllipede - YUMMO! We love KFC  and this is great, very similar but nicer somehow. I like to think its because the chicken is fresher, spices are freshly ground and there isn't so much grease so you really get to taste the flavours. My only criticism is that the chicken pieces were too large and there wasn't enough fried batter to gobble down. So next time I've promised the kids I will cut the chicken breast up into really small bits and do KFC popcorn chicken.

Update -  made "chicken popcorn" using the batter mix. Basically cut up chicken breast into walnut sized pieces and proceeded as per recipe. Was nice. For those that love the batter I recommend this way. It only takes a a few minutes to fry the popcorn so the chicken stays really moist too.

MJ - My family just adored this! Next time though, I'm going to do it in the oven. It was just too messy frying it on the stove for the amount that I did - 10 large pieces!

O2K -  I sprayed the coated chicken (with olive oil) on both sides and then put it on my roasting rack in my roasting dish.  I found that I had to spray it again about half way through (when I turned the pieces) because it was looking slightly dryish. However, once I ate it, it probably didn't need it.  The chicken was still deliciously moist (because of the buttermilk I presume).  It was really just for looks that I sprayed it again - gave it a more "fried" look.

johnro - I have only recently decided to try this oh so delicious coating. Thank you for the time you have taken in developing the perfect mix.

Nay-nay - Does my family love me tonight!!?? But they Love, Love, LOVE you achookwoman - they say, "THANK-YOU VERY MUCH!!" I did knock that black pepper back to 1 tbsp. I baked mine but I did spray olive oil over them.  My chicken was fairly large so pieces were big (they fitted on 2 trays) - I put the oven up to 220oC for the first 20 mins to crisp skin and coating then just baked for another 30-40 mins in 180oC. Served with mashed potato and gravy with coleslaw and corn cobs - it was pretty delish! My gravy was just mixed up in bowl that still had remnants of mixing spices with 1 tbsp of veg stock, 1 cup or so of water, heaped tbsp of cornflour and chicken pan juices. 5 mins/100o/speed 3.  

maddy - I did start to fry the first 3 largest pieces but the coating seemed to dissipate so for the rest I just sprayed them and popped in the oven. I also sprayed the rack with non stick spray and lined the roasting tray with grease proof paper......even less mess.  YUMMY Chookie!  Enjoyed by all! I only used 1 Tbsp peppercorns in spice mix to see how the kids handled it.  All good, so I'll increase it to 2 Tbsp next time and see how we go.

JulieO - Chookie, I made your KFC chicken last night.  As there were 3 of us I used 3 chicken breast fillets cut in half horizontally, so had 6 thin fillets.  I sprayed them and baked in the oven.  When they were cooked, the coating hadn’t browned up, looked quite insipid so I heated a little oil in a non-stick frypan and quickly fried them off on each side, less than a minute for each one and they got that lovely golden colour and really crisped up well.  I think using pieces in the oven and the extra cooking time that would take would allow them to turn golden and crisp up but as the halved breasts don’t take long to cook, I think cooking in just a little oil will work better.  I also think next time I will do the coating bit about half an hour before cooking so I can put them in the fridge for that time, that usually helps coating stick to the food better when frying. We really enjoyed them and I will def make again using the breasts as we aren’t big fans of pieces. They were so tender and we loved the flavour.  I only made a half quantity of the flour mixture and it was enough for coating 6 fillets.

Wonder - I made these with 1kg fillets chopped into relatively small pieces (approx 6 per fillet) which we deep fried for approximately 4-5 mins each and they came out lovely. We had a enough for 4 adults and 4 kids with chips and a couple of salads. Unfortunately while everyone thought it tasted great they didn't think it tasted like KFC. To me it tasted like I may have ended up with too much pepper in the mix.

berringamababe - Yummy, DD loved the KFC. DH found it was more like the hot and spicy one so will tame down the pepper next time.
I used the whey from my yogurt in place of buttermilk. Made a popcorn version too: Put 500g chick thigh fillets in TM for 30 seconds speed 4. Added I egg, 1 tsp spice mix and 20g flour speed 4 /30 seconds. dipped little pieces in buttermilk mixture rolled in flour mix then re-dipped in buttermilk mix then re-dipped in flour mix. I baked them in oven 180oC for 10 min then 5 min on 250oC as I don't like to fry sprayed with olive oil. 10 min's into cooking I turned the pieces.

cookie - the spice mix is nice on potato wedges.

MJ - Last time I made these I use Chicken Tenderloins. I soaked in yoghurt and some of spice mix overnight, then coated in flour/spice mix and put in the freezer. They didn't freeze, just set the coating. I found not a skerrick of the coating came off in the fry pan when I shallow fried. They were wonderful, cooked extra quickly and were delicious cold the next day.

sue h - This was a huge hit in my family. I had to play a little with the spices as I didn't have them all. I used my trusty 'Food Substitute Bible' and came up with something that would be pretty to close to your recipe. I made it once and my DS9 said he wanted it for his party 2 days later. It was a huge hit there as well. Needless to say all the kids loved it and the parents kept coming back for more. This will on our picnic and party menu in the future. I also love the idea of putting the spice in gift hampers.

Chookie - I have been mixing some of this spice mix with a little flour and using it to dust fish before grilling.   Also made some chicken patties and coated them.  Good hot or cold.

KerrynN - Well, what a hit! DH was over the moon, kids were rapt and so was I. As others have said, the only thing missing is the fat and grease. I used maryland pieces and baked in the oven with olive oil spray. Will definitely be giving some of this spice mix to friends, and kids already asking me to make "popcorn" chicken. Thanks very much!

Hally - My mouth is on FIRE, just used the kfc rub with flour egg and some breadcrumbs, thought they would do for afternoon tea. They are HOT HOT HOT. Goodness and kids eat this. You guys must all have cast iron mouths!!! I am hopping around, off to school now with large water bottle.
Update 1 - Think maybe i should have used a load more breadcrumbs & less rub. I used 2 spoons of breadcrumbs and about 6 of rub, just seen chookies breakdown, no wonder I was on fire.... Mouth only just recovered!!! LOL
Update 2 - Wow, I am in heaven,  these are just so FABULOUS. JUST YUM YUM YUM

belfie - Ok I tried it with the following:
normal milk (didn't read the lemon juice comment till too late!)
Instead of the wheat flour: 200g orgran crispy corn crumb, 150g arrowroot flour, 150g rice flour (made in TM with basmati rice), and I also threw in a tsp of xantham gum for good measure.
Popped it all in the fridge for half an hour or so before cooking, then shallow fried in olive oil.
It was AWESOME!   That flavour is just yum yum YUM! The coating was yummy & crispy (possibly not as chunky without the buttermilk) but still delicious. It was devoured by all, DH declared it didn't taste "GF", fussy Mr 3 yo gobbled it down, and Miss 1 inhaled her portion & looked for more.  Shall try with soy milk next time as don't want to push DH's dairy tolerance.  If I could find soy cream am wondering if that might work too. Thank you so much achookwoman!
Update - I tried it with soy milk and it tasted great. Plus I pared back the GF flours, just using 150g orgran corn crumb and 100g arrowroot flour (left out the xantham gum - that was just a crazy moment I think). and it was delicious once again.  I will add that I think it could be made without the garlic powder if a FM'er was particularly sensitive.

AB - well Chookie it is a great recipe, I made mine with cardamon seeds and fresh nutmeg, they were very strong and I think I was a little heavy handed with the chilly pepper flakes, it was hot and spicy but very yummy.

courton - made the chicken tonight. The marinade made it very tasty but after rolling the first few pieces of chicken in this flour-spice mix, it became gluggy and would not stick to the chicken pieces.

Lisel - wow!  I cut my chicken into nuggets and used natural yoghurt instead of  buttermilk.  I think I was a little heavy handed with the cayenne, the kids were not keen on the first batch but after I scraped the yoghurt mix off their pieces they were fine. I gave them a quick spray of olive oil and cooked them on a rack in the oven for 15 mins.  Perfect.

dede -  I think I have made this about 4 or 5 times in the last 16 months. We all love it. So yummy. I add a little extra buttermilk to the coating mixture to make it a little lumpier so when it cooks there are more crunchy bits.  A great recipe that I will be making for years to come.

Obbie - Yummy, kids love it.

Brumington - Achookwoman, you are quite simply a genius. You are also my DH and two DS' s new hero. This is NICER than the original. I changed nothing apart from using milk in the flour cause I had run out of buttermilk. The best meal we have made with the Thermomix so far. This will be a firm family favourite.

Jamberie - We had this for the first time yesterday and I totally agree with Brumington! This is fabulous! I can't wait to invite my dietitian sister over for some KFC next week ;D

Amy - My first time making this. It worked pretty well but I found a lot of my coating fell off. Really good recipe though, very flavoursome. Thanks Chookie.

jeninwa - I meant to comment during the week chookie made this for dinner using the sample from you,  DH loved it, had trouble with the coating falling off some pieces, the chicken breast were so tender, will be making this again.

tarasis - Made with some whole spices (cloves) and it worked well. Though some pieces were overcooked as pan got too hot (may try oven next time). First batch of 4 had a perfect colour.  I loved it and it does leave a lingering tingle in the mouth similar to our KFC though a touch "hotter".

ES - I made this with free range chicken chops on the bone. I sprayed them with oil and cooked on the BBQ. They were delicious but the spice mix was a little too spicy for DS. However, DD loved it and asked me to make them again soon.

snappy - I made some KFC chicken for dinner last night (minus the cayenne pepper) and it was loved by all.

Cuddle cook - It was delicious - thank you. We used skinless breast strips and deep fried them, and used 2 tbsp spice mix to 1.5 cups flour - just perfect for us but removed the coating for the little one. Not much of an excuse to get takeaway from this particular establishment again. Served it with coleslaw, mash and some of Jaime's get ahead gravy I had in the freezer.

jakodai - I love it, always do... DS's dad said he liked it, too. I just need to work out how to pan fry the chicken breasts properly. I've never been a fryer, so I need to practice.

Debbiebillg - The kids think it tastes more like KFC the next day lol. They all gobbled it up last night and loved it. They had leftovers for lunch at school today in a wrap with lettuce and cheese and all gone in their lunchbox too (which is rare). DH loved it also. I put the chicken and the flour mix in the snaplock bag and tossed it around, let it sit for a few mins then fry.

Brumington - I just love this recipe.

BZB - Chookie, the taste was amazing! My 3 boys loved it. Cooked it in the air fryer.

INAID - Oh so good. Fantastic Chookie. Thank you.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:30:44 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:03:06 am »
I like the idea of shallow frying.  Would you believe I am scared of deep frying?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:10:01 am »
I also have an aversion to deep frying Cookie - it just goes against the grain somehow. 
I do like the sound of this recipe Chookie - KFC used to be my DH's treat once a year but then their standards seemed to drop somewhat and it no longer appealed to him.  I'd like to try this and see his reaction. Some spices to get to complete the list of ingredients first though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:21:25 am »
Cookie and JD,  the funny thing about this recipe is that it tastes less oily than the previous recipe which was sprayed with oil and baked in the oven.   We ate it with mashed pots. and cold slaw.  DH had a sandwich of leftovers.  Grain bread, mayo and lettuce from the garden.  I heated the chicken in the Microwave.  He said it was delicious.  When the recipe was developed by 'Cook's Illustrated",  their aim was to drastically reduce the fat content,  but keep the flavor and moistness.  I think they succeeded but the original recipe they developed wasn't spicy enough.   What I did to get the flavor right,  was to take a small sample of the coating mix and cook it in the oil,  and the adjusted the spices to my liking.   Judy , you could use what you have and see what you think,  without buying more spices,

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »
I only need garlic powder, white pepper and celery seeds Chookie so will wait until I get those - almost there!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:38:35 pm »
I like the idea of shallow frying.  Would you believe I am scared of deep frying?
Long ago I had an oil pan fire, very very scary.Thank goodness my DH was there, as I froze on the spot.He smothered the flames with a wet towel, I was left with a very messy kitchen to clean and ceiling to paint.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:30:52 am »
Whatever you do - don't use water!!!  :o  http://youtu.be/j95_gFWD9lc

Just replacing the lid can work but if it is too big it's good to have a fire blanket on hand.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:42:39 am »
Good work Chookie.  Sounds yummy.  Luckily I can't rush out to the kitchen & try it just yet. But I will be giving it a go for MrsT.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:15:18 am »
My hubby has been nagging me to make these since your last KFC post and I still haven't - will have to collect new ingredients and make the effort for him. Thanks Chookie!  :-))

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:08:29 am »
can't get celery seeds in the supermarket...should i try the garden centre?  ;D no seriously - asian, indian? live north-west of Perth

(Update: found celery seeds in a health food shop that sells by the scoop)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:29:18 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:35:09 am »
CP63,  how about celery salt,  and cut down on the salt a bit.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 02:14:16 pm »
Parsley flakes ground up give a "similar" flavour - just blitz them first so you don't have toooooo much green
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:15:57 am »
Oh Chookie, this is so delicious. Bit of trouble to go to but at least we have our spice mix ready for a few more coatings. Exchanged the celery seeds with parsley as I couldn't find them and couldn't find my allspice. Used a mixture of oil and butter for frying and from 1 huge chicken fillet (500g) I got enough to serve 5 people.  I asked DH what he thought it tasted like and it has been so long since he had it, he couldn't remember until I reminded him.  He is pretty happy about having some leftovers available.  I asked him who he thought the recipe came from and he guessed correctly.  5/5 for the dish and 5/5 for DH's guess.  :-* :-*

Offline Ceee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:37 am »
Hi from South Africa, please could you explain pepper flakes?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:54:41 am »
Ceee, I used just a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes but we can also get dried capsicum (peppers) flakes as well. As Chookie says just use what you have got.
 http://www.google.com.au/search?client=qsb-win&rlz=1R3GGLJ_enAU330AU330&hl=en&q=pepper+flakes