Author Topic: Apricot Sour Cream Cake  (Read 8553 times)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Apricot Sour Cream Cake
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:31 am »
This is my favourite cake (at the moment at least!).  It is the easiest recipe to make, even without a Thermomix, but I highly rate the chopping of dried apricots (much quicker than chopping with a knife), and I'm loving how it softens/melts the butter.  You just can't go wrong!

This is my first conversion (and I only got my TMX yesterday!), so I hope I've done everything right here.  Please be gentle  ;)

Apricot Sour Cream Cake

80g dried apricots
125g butter
220g apricot nectar
125g sour cream
2 eggs
250g SR flour
30g shredded coconut
200g castor sugar

1.  Place dried apricots in TM bowl and process on speed 8 for 3 seconds (less if you like them chunkier) and set aside.
2.  Place butter in TM bowl and soften for 40 seconds at 50C on speed 4.
3.  Add nectar, sour cream and eggs and mix for 5 seconds on speed 5.
4.  Add remaining ingredients and mix for 30 seconds, reverse speed 3.
5.  Pour into a greased and lined tin (ring tin ideally, but I have successfully made this in square tin and loaf tin) in a preheated 180C oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
6.  Ice with a tangy lemon icing.

members' comments

JD - Well your first conversion was perfect O2K, enjoyed making it (and eating a slice). I iced it with 250g philly cheese, 3 tblspns butter, 110g icing sugar and the juice of a lemon instead of 1 tsp vanilla essence. Mixed it all together on speed 8 until it looked right.

cottchick - I like the look of your icing judydawn - mine got eaten too fast. It was absolutely delicious, I will definitely be making this again.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:14:43 am by judydawn »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Apricot Sour Cream Cake
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:16:15 am »
WOW,  congratulations on a first conversion.  Photo too.   This looks very nice and I will make it soon. Thanks.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:20:25 am »
Congratulations. A conversion so quickly you deserve a gold star. :D :D The cake looks lovely too. I will definitely add it to my list.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:25:13 am »
I've just checked for the ingredients and I have everything I need for this one, apricot nectar in the freezer, 1/2 tub sour cream in the fridge so it is nice to find something to get rid of both of them in a few days when this weather is going to cool down. Great going O2K, shows you are full of confidence with your new machine.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:52:15 am »
Oh wow this looks beautiful, and like Judydawn I happen to have all the ingredients so I am going to make it Right Now.
24 hours and you have converted a recipe already?!?! That is outstanding. I look forward to more recipes from you Opi2kenopi, and thanks for posting this one!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 11:47:23 am »
Lovely recipe and great photo opi2kenopi.Congrats on our speedy recipe conversion.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 03:34:05 am »
Well your first conversion was perfect O2K, enjoyed making it (and eating a slice).

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:35:15 am »
I like the look of your icing judydawn - mine got eaten too fast. It was absolutely delicious, I will definitely be making this again.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 04:17:23 am »
Yay! :D

So glad you both enjoyed this one and that the conversion was successful.  Like you cottchick, I rarely get a chance to ice my cake as it disappears too quickly!  Your icing looks fabulous judydawn :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 04:21:41 am »
yes, definitely sounds like a nice one to try. JD was the icing from a recently posted carrot cake JD and uses cream cheese/icing sugar?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 04:27:47 am »
I probably did get it from the forum CP63 - it is 250g philly cheese, 3 tblspns butter, 110g icing sugar and the juice of a lemon instead of 1 tsp vanilla essence. Mixed it all together on speed 8 until it looked right.  The excess I popped into a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer - handy if I need a little bit for cupcakes or something small.  It freezes well on cakes so I am about to slice this cake and pack it away for unexpected visitors. Cakes don't disappear in this house like they do in other people's homes.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 04:54:21 am »
thanks JD -  I like the idea of putting excess icing in the freezer as well. the last time we made this icing there was excess, and I just didn't think of freezing. Since I have been a member of this forum I have picked up so many hints on kitchen economy that my DD22 really surprises me when I see how much it has also rubbed off onto her.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand