Author Topic: Surplus vegies into freezed pieces  (Read 4742 times)

Offline darls

• View Profile
Surplus vegies into freezed pieces
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:48:54 am »
I want to freeze surplus and am a bit stuck as I am not sure about some details.

I have this half large pumpkin that I'd like to freeze and use as pumpkin sometimes in winter so how should I do it without making it into soup now. What steps? I only have ECB at the moment, still waiting for the other 2 TM cooking books to be delivered.

Any other tips on using TM for the vegies that can be stored in freezer - and I would like to know how long can keep in the freezer, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Surplus vegies into freezed pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:40:49 am »
It depends a bit on what you want to do once the pumpkin is thawed?

You are going to be best to cook it first - either steam, roast or cook and mash or make into soup.

If it is for something like the roast pumpkin risotto - then roast it first and freeze the pieces on a tray before transferring to bags/containers.

If you just want soup - then make soup and freeze in ice cube trays or small containers that you can take out whatever portions.

If you want to add them to dishes as whole pieces then once they are thawed you would be best to add them late and just heat through.

May help to google this one?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline darls

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:36:38 am »
So is this where TM cannot assist? ;)

Looks like I'd need to boil pumpkin then puree it and freeze it into small tubs. I hate pumpkin but my DH and DD love it so told them I will only make it if it is organic (food coop) or from our gardens. So it ends up I got a large piece I gotta do something about it... :-[

Thanks!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:42 am »
Perhaps have a chat to your consultant as to what you require from the TMX? It may be easier to explain face to face.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:23:51 pm »
Darls, I would chop the pumpkin into 4cm pieces, place in the varoma dish (and use the tray as well if you have plenty to cook). Pour about 800mls boiling water in the TM bowl, put the varoma on top and steam on Varoma temperature speed 2 or 3 for about 15 minutes or so.  Just check to see if the pieces are cooked with a skewer.  Mash with butter and freeze in 1 cup portions.  Easy to take out, defrost and reheat in the microwave for those in the family who like it.  Leave the pieces chunky if you prefer but lay them flat until they are frozen so that you can just pull out how many pieces you want.  You could put pieces in the steaming basket too if you really have a lot you want to cook at once.  I use my varoma all the time for steaming vegies.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:01:59 am »
A couple of options - if you are going to make puree for pies or to serve mashed - then the TMX is perfect = chop first then it will cook and blend it in 10 - 15 minutes.

If you are going to steam it to cook then cut up chunks as per JD and steam while making other stuff to save.

You can put some in the steamer basket and more in the Varoma to make full use of its capacity too.

Depends how the DH & DD prefer it served up?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline darls

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:28:06 am »
Thanks much - the last pumpkin piece have gone mouldy - that is showing how indecisive I can be?  ;)

Anyway, I've got a cute whole pumpkin to use up so will do as JD recommended - easier to do.

I still can't believe how TM can pulp the onions in few seconds into puree!  :o I didn't think which speed till too late! Serve me right  :D

Cheers with thanks!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:17:41 am »
Darls, I have recently found that spraying a silicon muffin tray and freezing portions in them is a quick and easy way as they just pop out when you need them.  Freeze then remove from the silicon form and place into plastic bags until needed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.