Author Topic: Huevos Rancheros or Nachos  (Read 8777 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Huevos Rancheros or Nachos
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:18:45 am »
This is off Quirky Jo's blog and is really quick, tasty and easy.  I haven't done the Huevos Rancheros yet, just the nachos, but it is very tasty. 

I didn't know whether to put this under Vegetarian, Vegan, Main Meals, Snacks, Breakfast - it's up to you when you have this.

Name of Recipe: Huevos Rancheros or nachos

Number of People:  Depends on the meal

Ingredients:

1 onion, halved
2-3 cloves garlic
30g olive oil
400-450g fresh tomatoes, halved (4-5 tomatoes)
160g tomato paste
1 Tbs Rapadura or 1 Tbs honey (original recipe called for 2 Tbs Rapadura but I found that too sweet)
1/2 to 1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp smoked paprika (original recipe only had 1 tsp, but I decided a bit more smoke was good)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp vegetable stock paste OR salt to taste
2 tins of kidney beans, drained & rinsed

Preparation:

Place onion and garlic in Thermomix bowl and chop on speed 5 for 5 seconds.  Add oil and saute for 2 minutes, 100C, speed 1

Add fresh tomatoes and chop for 5 seconds on speed 6

Add tomato paste, Rapadura, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, dried oregano, smoked paprika, balsamic vinegar and vegetable stock paste and cook for 5 minutes, 100C, speed 1

Add kidney beans and cook for 2 minutes, 100C, reverse speed 1

Serve over the top of corn chips or fried/baked corn tortillas; top with sour cream and guacamole if you like.

OR

Use the sauce to make Huevos Rancheros (2 eggs per person)

Pour sauce into a heavy based frying pan.  Add a little water, so the sauce is a bit soupy and will be able to simmer, and won't just bubble and spit and stick to the bottom of the pan. (Depends on how much sauce you're using as to how much water to add - I just guess.)

Turn stove on to medium heat and warm sauce until it's bubbling. Turn heat down to a simmer and let it simmer for a minute or two.  Make indents in the sauce with a large spoon, and crack eggs into the sauce - usually use 2 eggs per person, but again, it depends on how many you're cooking for.

Place a lid on the pan and allow the eggs to poach in the sauce for a minute or so, depending on how you like your eggs.

Huevos Rancheros are traditionally served on a fried corn tortilla, but you can have them by themselves for breakfast. Or if it's dinner, serve them over some plain corn chips, with a green salad on the side.

Photos:  Check QJ's blog, as above - I couldn't beat her photos for quality.  This recipe is pretty much verbatim off her blog.

Tips/Hints:  I squeezed some of the beans before adding them (just for texture) and apart from the two small ingredient quantitiy changes noted above this was perfect for us.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
Re: Huevos Rancheros or Nachos
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:32:26 am »
This looks great & a very nice combination of spices. I make a similar mix for nachos but add corn kernels, chopped capsicum & celery. Scatter with roughly chopped coriander over the sour cream & guacamole. Will use Jo's spice mix next time! Thanks for reminding me of her blog Cuilidh.

I've also been meaning to make the huevos rancheros for years! Looks great!

mcmich

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:29:49 pm »
I'm making this for brunch today, even though it is a warm start to the day it sounds delicious.
Will post a photo when it's done.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:18:55 am by mcmich »

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:28:33 pm »
Woud love to see the photo mich :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:16 pm »
Hally. It's in the breakfast section:)

Offline annaussie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 05:23:12 am »
Eating this right now and it is amazing!  I only had a very large tin of 4 bean mix so I used that instead of 2 tins of kidney beans.  We are eating in a bowl - no corn chips - with cheese sprinkled on the top and a blob of sour cream.  I may have to have this every winter Saturday!  So, so yum!

Thank you Jo!