Author Topic: Bread is Splitting  (Read 14803 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bread is Splitting
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:26 am »
You must get up with the rising sun BB  :o :o  How keen are you and how lucky your child has such a thoughtful Mum. Have you tried making rolls - they can be frozen and taken out in the morning for lunchboxes (as could the slices of bread).   I know where you are coming from with showing every loaf to your DH, I do the same and still marvel at the sight of a loaf or batch of bread rolls that I have made myself. I make more rolls than anything else and do a few different recipes to vary the look and taste of them.  I am so pleased for you that you finally got it right.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:25 am »
BB, this is great,  but not the getting up really early.   How about cooking the bread the night before.  If the amount of liquid is right the next mornings bread should be like fresh.  Add about 1 dessertspoon extra water,  don't cut the loaf until the next morning.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 03:54:34 am »
When my bread is cooled I cut it up into slices with an electric knife (actually DH does it as he says left handers look so awkward) and package it into 2 slice packages and put it in the freezer. It always seems to taste fine when we have it as it's used within a few days.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 04:20:45 am »
Is that so you don't eat too much of it Cookie  ;D ;D ;D  I find a loaf of homemade bread goes 3 times as fast as a bought, sliced loaf - I just keep going back for more and my slices are always too thick  :-)) :-))

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:37 am »
Well this time of year I'm definitely up before sunrise but as it's the only quiet time I get, it's really not that much of a hardship.  I just like to complain occasionally to make sure my family appreciates me. ;)  I do keep an emergency supply of rolls in the freezer for the mornings when I'm just too cosy to get out of bed.

I will try cooking it the night before and see how it goes.  Do you just leave it on the cooling rack overnight or do you wait for it to cool and then store?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 07:52:51 am »
Yes Judy, it is to stop me eating too much. I love bread and anything.

BB I would cool the bread and wrap in a teatowel or similar overnight. Not sure what others do.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 10:13:44 am »
I just leave it on the cooling rack,  and provided that you don't cut it to see what it is like ;D ;D ;D,  it will hold the moisture in the loaf.   The commercial bakeries put the warm loaf into the plastic bags to hold the 'freshness' in.  That is why they go moldy after a few days.  Good luck and let us know how you go.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 02:01:04 pm »
Such willpower Chookie.  I just can't wait to cut the crust off and have it whilst it is still warm with butter and vegemite - even DH wants a bit, the only time he really likes bread.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 02:22:46 pm »
My DH absolutely loves fresh bread.Infact he has a bread with most meals,it's only a roast dinner that he doesn't have bread.I call him the Carbohydrate King because he loves bread, potatoes and rice.He never seems to put on any extra weight but again, he doesn't snack between meals, not like someone I could mention. :-))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:29:58 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:59 am »
Well this time of year I'm definitely up before sunrise but as it's the only quiet time I get, it's really not that much of a hardship.  I just like to complain occasionally to make sure my family appreciates me. ;)  I do keep an emergency supply of rolls in the freezer for the mornings when I'm just too cosy to get out of bed.

I will try cooking it the night before and see how it goes.  Do you just leave it on the cooling rack overnight or do you wait for it to cool and then store?

The other option is to add some natural bread improver which will give your bread a bit longer lasting power ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net