Author Topic: Anyone with a Recipe for Apricot Slice  (Read 17948 times)

Offline sirrahk

• View Profile
Anyone with a Recipe for Apricot Slice
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:08:57 am »
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for apricot slice - the type you buy from the health food store or in bags at the supermarket - - there like little pieces of a slice coated in coconut - more like lollies than an actual cake slice.  My boys love this stuff but I try to avoid it coz of all the added extras that are in it. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kim

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Anyone with a Recipe for Apricot Slice
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:16:58 am »
i could imagine that if you made the vitality truffles in the aussie book with mostly apricots it would be pretty close - just make bar shapes instead of balls ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:45:46 pm »
Certainly have got recipes somewhere at home - various ones from memory either had almost straight dried apricots or some had crushed Marie/similar biscuits.  Will hunt them out - the Womens Weekly cookbooks are sure to have and probably Margaret Fulton.

I'm sure brazen's Mum will have a recipe in her files.  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:06:58 am »
LOL! unfortunatley i won't have time to get to mum's fo about 3 weeks though!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:47:52 am »
I am sure that I have something buried in the depth of all my cookbooks.  The one I am thinking of is very sweet, though.  If memory serves me at all it has condensed milk, dried apricot, coconut and sugar - yummy but not healthy!
I will have a hunt and get back to you!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:48:00 am »
Here is one that I have  found on another website (Recipezaar) that looks to be a little healthier than the other one I had in mind.  I haven't tried this in the Thermomix, but it should be easy enough to adapt.

Apricot Rolls (or slice)
1/2 cup sultana
1/2 cup dried apricot, diced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup coconut
1 cup dried powdered milk
1 cup desiccated coconut, for rolling
Directions
Place apricots and sultanas in saucepan with water and honey, simmer til half liquid evaporated. Do not drain.
Add remaining ingredients except coconut.
mix well.
Divide mixture into 3.
Shape into logs, 15 cm long.
Roll in coconut (easier done on plastic wrap and logs wrapped in plastic wrap).
Chill 2 hours before slicing.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:30:04 am »
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for apricot slice - 

Hi Kim - I have left a few "suggestions" - it may be possible to use the recipes and push mixture into baking trays, cut into cubes and sprinkle with coconut - think that's the sort you are talking about?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Alina0210

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:17:29 am »
I have found this recipe from Essential Baby website, i am sure it can be converted to TMX.

Apricot Delight / Apricot Squares

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup (250g) dried apricots
2x 250g packet Marie biscuits
250g butter, chopped
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
395g can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup (25g) desiccated coconut

Directions
Lightly grease a 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan. Line the base and two opposite sides with baking paper.
Process apricots until finely chopped. Transfer the apricots to a large bowl. Add the biscuits to the processor in two batches and process until finely crushed.
Combine the butter, sugar and condensed milk; whisk over low heat until the butter is melted. Bring to the boil, whisking constantly. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the butter mixture to the apricot mixture, stir until well combined.
Spread the mixture into the prepared pan; smooth top. Sprinkle with coconut, cool; refrigerate until firm.
Cut into squares or bars when cold.

Offline sirrahk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:11:05 am »
Thanks so much for the suggestions from everyone.
Sorry I didn't respond sooner - got caught up in the rush of Christmas etc and this is the first chance back to the site to check.

I really appreciate all the suggestions & help.  I shall try a couple of the suggestions and will advise how they go.

Oh by the way - Happy New Year to everyone - hope you all have a happy, healthy & safe one!! ;)