Author Topic: Quick Fix in the Thermomix - Pork Spare Ribs p100  (Read 20353 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Quick Fix in the Thermomix - Pork Spare Ribs p100
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 06:28:55 am »
I have these marinating for tea tonight. 1.5kgs for 3 of us, it doesnt look that much. The recipe says 2kgs for 6  people. Going to do some chicken kebabs too.

I think its going to be yumm

Ok need to use glasses, no wonder my ribs didnt look much, they weighed 0.558, not 1.558 as I thought, so glad I did some kebabs too :)

H :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:22:49 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 07:31:56 am »
Hee Hee.  I was thinking you are really big eaters ;D :D ;D :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 07:41:06 am »
I am shocking without my glasses :-))

H :)

The ribs are in the oven, our house smells devine, cant wait to try them. I used the rest of the marinade for chicken :). Another 10 mins.....

5/5  from all of us, ddnt bother to steam, 60 mins in the oven at 180 perfect :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:22:49 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:16 pm »
This is the first recipe I've done from this book.

I've been completely bowled over by the reception from my children.  All three absolutely loved it!  Boy1 and 2 have Aspergers and are really fussy eaters, sadly neither has the same tastes.  Boy3 is only 4 and has the appetite of a sparrow but they are loving this.

In terms of prep time and actual *work* this couldn't have been easier, although next time I make this I will marinate the meat for a while.  I served it with noodles as boy1 doesn't like rice  :o

Will definitely do this again.

Nik xx
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 09:09:11 am »
Tried these today. Used soy in place of tamari. I think that messed with the balance of flavours though because it was a bit too salty. An incredibly rich dish. I allowed three ribs per person but could only eat two of the smallest.

Offline leoness79

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 12:59:35 pm »
What did I do wrong?? Maybe it was the actual ribs which ended up quite tough and gristly!!! The marinade was really runny and didn't go sticky at all! Was ok flavour but really oily and ended up with an oily oily mess on the plate. Also my ribs ended up looking like cutlets with the meat all up one end and a bare bone on the other after the steaming. This wasn't really a problem though as it made them easier to eat. Overall not a great dish but I am assuming it was probably something I did as everyone else seems to love it?

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 02:53:53 am »
I'm planning on doing this one tonight for a crowd, approx 8 adults and 9 kids. Anyone got any tips for doing this in a large quantity?

Cheers
Serena

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44:41 am »
Leoness79, did you use the spare ribs like the ones you have seen in the pictures on this thread.  There is no bone in them and they shouldn't have ended up gristly.

Cottchick you could also put some of the spareribs in the steaming basket to cope with the extra quantity and perhaps double the marinade.  Don't worry if those in the steaming basket are submerged in the water - in my favourite recipe for spareribs I used to boil them in water before marinating and cooking in the oven.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 04:14:05 am »
Can anyone provide any tips on halving this recipe?

Hubby has come home from shops with two trays of pork spare ribs (there are 11 in total) & is adamant there will be far too much if I cook both trays.  There are 4 of us but two are children.

Would I still make the same amount of marinade & cook for the same amount of time or would I need to halve everything including cooking time?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 10:36:31 pm »
I used this marinade last night but marinated the ribs for a few hours before cooking in the pressure cooker for 20 mins and then finishing off in a high heat oven to brown them up a little. I also strained and reduced the sauce after cooking in the PC as it was very runny. Next time i would also go to the trouble of removing the fat from the marinade. I served with fried rice and it was a hit with everyone.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »
I've just noticed Asha's question went unanswered.  Sorry Asha, how did you get on with this one.  I would have thought 11 spare ribs between your family wouldn't have been too much unless they were extra large, most men could eat 4 at least.  Better late than never, you would halve the marinade if using 1kg spareribs but the cooking time would be the same.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:51 am »
Hi judydawn,

No problem at all.  Even though they were very large, I ended up cooking all the spare ribs anyway so I didn't have to worry about halving in the end.

But thanks for the tip anyway.  Now that my 19 month old son is eating almost as much as his dad most nights, I don't think I will be halving many Thermomix recipes again!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 11:39:58 am »
Boy that toddler is going to cost you a lot to feed if he is already eating as much as his Dad Asha  :o ;D

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »
I'm glad that there are many positive reviews for this recipe. I haven't had many hits with thermomix recipes unfortunately. I plan to make these soon. i have a question though. What is tamari please, and where do I buy it?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 08:49:38 am »
Both soy sauce and tamari are made from fermented soybeans, with the amount of wheat being the main difference between the two. When it comes right down to it, tamari is really a broad class of soy sauce that's made with no (or little) wheat and a greater concentration of soybeans.

Because of this, the flavour differs as well. You'll notice that Japanese tamari is thicker, richer, and less salty than most soy sauce. I think the flavour tends to be smoother and because of that, we've started to use it in dipping sauces instead of soy sauce.