Author Topic: Master Moderator's Best Bolognaise Sauce in the WORLD  (Read 37575 times)

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
Master Moderator's Best Bolognaise Sauce in the WORLD
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:25:36 pm »
Ok... it's about time I posted one of my specials!!!! This is seriously delicious!!

Servings: 6-8

Cook Time: 40 min.

Ingredients:

•   2 medium sized onions
•   3 garlic cloves
•   500g minced beef
•   I canned tomatoes (or 250g fresh tomatoes)
•   100g tomato paste
•   Small glass of red wine
•   1 teaspoon Dried Basil
•   20g Olive Oil
•   I teaspoon Dijon Mustard
•   3 teaspoon sugar

Instructions:
Place onions (halved) and whole peeled garlic cloves. Push on that TURBO button until finely chopped. Scrape down sides of bowl and add olive oil. Cook on 100ºC for 3 mins   ^^   Then add the canned or fresh tomatoes and hit the turbo button a couple of times.

Now add all of other ingredients. Separate the minced beef with your fingers, whilst placing in bowl. Give it a good mix around with spatula. Now cook for for 35 mins, 100ºC  :-: ^^   Halfway through cooking time, give it a good stir... Let stand for a few mins before serving.

That's it.. Easy but delicious!!

Serve with pasta (of course) and a nice rocket, cherry tomato and feta cheese salad (dressing made of olive oil and balsamic vinegar)

members' comments

CC - This had a lovely flavour MM but I used 300g of passata instead of tomato paste and the sauce really didn't cling to the pasta but rather ran off. Also I increased the speed to 1 as  soft wasn't enough to get the sauce moving. Would use less sugar next time as apparently DH found it a tad sweet. I will make it again and thanks for the recipe.

Lainie - This is a really lovely sauce, much nicer than the EDC version.  MM I took your advice and made a large batch (x 1.5) to make up lasagna for the freezer which will come in handy on a busy work night. Thanks!

Lellyj - I chucked in a carrot and celery also with the onion and garlic, just to hide some veg.  I used what we call tomato passata as that's what your tomato stuff looked like to me.  I just did a slurp, probably more like 250g than 100 and the sauce was a little watery, so probably would use less next time.  I always add sugar to my tomato based sauces, it balances the acidity a bit, and didn't find this too sweet.  I did add a good grinding of black pepper and a few pinches of salt too.  I think the dijon mustard is the secret ingredient here, MM!  I would never, never think to add that but I think it's the mustard that gives this bol sauce a stand out flavour.  Yum Yum!  Thanks for sharing this tasty, easy recipe.

Hally - I made the sauce and tasted it, yum, very meaty compared to mine. I used it for lasagna and it was a huge hit. . DS wants me to make it every week. We all thoroughly enjoyed it and yes I will be using this sauce as my lasagna base.
I use this sauce in lasagna only. It seems to work well, I do not like it on a bed of pasta, no taste.

Chelsea - it was a bit too rich for us as a spaghetti sauce and quite sloppy. I have been making our bolognaise on the stovetop lately so the TM mince texture probably wasn't appreciated by the family either unfortunately.  I agree that this recipe would suit lasagne better. I tried to double it but it wouldn't fit. I used crushed tomatoes. I eventually had to pour it into a frypan to evaporate some of the liquid and thicken it up. I had to take some out before cooking and then had to take more out when it spluttered everywhere during cooking (even with a titled MC).  1.5 would be a better option.

Frozzie - my sauce wasn't too liquid and was quite nice although it definitely lacked seasoning. I added chilli salt and a few other bits and pieces. I used it for spag bol and a pasta bake!

JD - Maybe the variations in this recipe are because of the type of tomato paste/passata/or whatever people are using.  Obviously different countries have different products and this could be affecting the consistency for some here in Australia.

I finally made this today, read right through this thread to pick up a few hints and used the following quantities & ingredients for a nice, thick bolognaise sauce.  Hopefully the picture will show just how thick it is. I made 1.5 times the recipe but did not increase some ingredients.
2 large red onions
3 cloves garlic
750g mince
375g fresh very ripe tomatoes
110g tomato paste
65g white wine
1 tblspn frozen chopped fresh basil
25 g olive oil
1.5 tspn dijon mustard
1/2 tspn sugar
Cooked as per the original recipe but occasionally had to use the spatula to keep it moving for the first 10 minutes on speed 2 as it just didn't seem to want to move at all.  Lowered the speed to 1 once it started bubbling.
I used it to make a lasagne for 6 and a spare one for 2 for the freezer. We are not great lovers of bolognaise sauce, especially when made in the TMX but DH enjoyed it.

tarasis - I tried making this last night, using 300g of Passiert instead of 100g of Purée and it was a failure. It looked like someone's picture in the Thermomix but on top of the spaghetti it was more a stoge of broken down mince and not saucy in the slightest :/

obbie - This is great, will be making again.

nola276 - Last time my sauce ended up like Tarasis's photo, over processed with not one lump or an ounce of texture, so I thought I would process my own mince this time.  Bought mince seems to be too fine.

Unfortunately, I did the full 7 seconds on speed 7 for the meat, and have ended up with something like meat paste Grin.  Never mind, next time 4 seconds should do it. (so much to learn)   I will make the sauce in the Thermie, minus the mince which I will do in the fry-pan on the stove top, and then combine the two.  Let it sit in the fridge all day and reheat tonight. That way there should be some texture and the flavours can develop.

EDIT:  It is on the stove top as I type.  The house smells delicious.  Sauteed the garlic & onions 5 mins 100c, I added a few drops of Tabasco and a couple teaspoons Wooster, whizzed the whole thing up in the Thermie ( and threw it into the fry-pan with the mince.  Taste test is a definite thumbs up and lots of texture too.

thermo18 - Just loved this, always know when it's good when there is no left overs.

auds - It was very good. I used some fresh oregano as well. 4/5

Tasty - we found that it was watery and lacked flavour. We added salt, pepper and some chilli powder and next time would add less liquid somewhere in the recipe. Might also add carrot and celery and stock too.

JuliaC83- Definitely easy. I found the flavour a little mild for my liking so I added some salt and 100g light philli at the end and stirred through. I used 250g fresh tomatoes and threw a handful of chopped fresh basil in place of the dry basil. Well liked by the family! Next time will add some grated zucchini, carrot and celery too. Thanks.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:05:21 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Master Moderator's Best Bolognaise Sauce in the WORLD
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:29:26 am »
Hey MM, nice to see you posting another recipe.  Your rabbit stew recipe is very nice too (I use chicken thighs though). What other little gems do you have up your sleeve?  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:40:09 am »
How many grams in a small tin of tomato paste MM? ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:52:55 am »
The size of the tablespoon could also be an issue  ;) better measure it out next time MM  8)
I find the pinching method to be great for bolognaise sauce too.
I will be adding this one to the list MM
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:12 am »
Morning.... true about measurements. I use 20g Virgin Olive oil. About the tomato paste. I actually use tomato pulp, which is widely used in Latin Europe. It comes in 1 kg bottles. If you can get this, then use 300g. Here is an example of the product: http://www.winesofcuyo.com/wofc_v1/productos/agroindustriaPocito/tomateTrituradoDanmarco.jpg  Does this exist where you are?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
Morning.... true about measurements. I use 20g Virgin Olive oil. About the tomato paste. I actually use tomato pulp, which is widely used in Latin Europe. It comes in 1 kg bottles. If you can get this, then use 300g. Here is an example of the product: http://www.winesofcuyo.com/wofc_v1/productos/agroindustriaPocito/tomateTrituradoDanmarco.jpg  Does this exist where you are?
Thanks MM.Don't get tomato pulp here but I will use passata instead.I have got the mince out the freezer to try this tonight. ;)
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:12:19 pm »
Good to see a recipe by the famous MM!!  ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 03:49:19 pm »
Hope you enjoy the meal.... My 3 boys and friends love it...I'll be posting my special creamy balti chicken curry..... And it's an all in one meal... Stay tuned folks:)

MM
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:51:14 pm by Master Moderator »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:58:41 am »
This had a lovely flavour MM,but I used  300g of passata instead of tomato paste and the sauce really didn't cling to the pasta but rather ran off  :D :D :D Also I increased the speed to 1 as  ^^ wasn't enough to get the sauce moving.Would use less sugar next time as apparently DH found it a tad sweet :-)) :-)) I will make it again and thanks for the recipe :-*
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:06:57 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 01:15:31 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, Cornish Cream... The tomato pulp here is rather bitter, hence the sugar. Glad u enjoyed it....

I also use the mix to make lasagne, or even on top of a pizza base. The wonders of bolognaise!!!!!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 09:25:59 pm »
haha wow the confidence is just oozing out of the title...thats just asking for a comment  :P  definately one to try...thanks MM
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Lainie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:47 am »
This is a really lovely sauce, much nicer than the EDC version.  MM I took your advice and made a large batch (x 1.5) to make up lasagna for the freezer which will come in handy on a busy work night.   Thanks!

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:47:29 am »
Made this toinight in the half hour I had at home between staff meeting and school council meeting.  Husband very impressed.  All he had to do was turn TMX off!

I chucked in a carrot and celery also with the onion and garlic, just to hide some vet.  I used what we call tomato passata as that's what your tomato stuff looked like to me.  I just did a slurp, probably more like 250g than 100 and the sauce was a little watery, so probably would use less next time.  I always add sugar to my tomato based sauces, it balances the acidity a bit, and didn't find this too sweet.  I did add a good grinding of black pepper and a few pinches of salt too.  I think the dijon mustard is the secret ingredient here, MM!  I would never, never think to add that, but I think it's the mustard that gives this bol sauce a stand out flavour.  Yum Yum!  Thanks for sharing this tasty, easy recipe. 
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:56:21 am »
I must give this a try. The weather is certainly suitable for it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:28 am »
I am going to give this a go tomorrow, we are having lasagna tomorrow. It's quiet different to my spaghetti Bol sauce :)

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......