Author Topic: Cream Cheese Pastry  (Read 41916 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cream Cheese Pastry
« on: October 19, 2010, 07:43:28 am »
Cream Cheese Pastry:
Lovely for a quiche base or similar:
Ingredients:
115g plain flour
50g butter, chopped
125g cream cheese chopped (I used low fat)

Preparation:
Place flour and butter into bowl and process until like breadcrumbs.
Add the cream cheese and use :: until it comes together.
Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and then use.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

This is lovely to work with and I find it makes a delicious base for quiches. I usually get a 22 or 23 cm base from it.

members' comments

Terri - this was awesome, soo easy to make, beautiful to work with (I like to make little quiches to freeze what's not eaten) and best of all a beautiful flavour to compliment my quiche filling!!! Thank you so much for this little beauty - I won't use commercial pastry for quiche ever again!!

*jo* - Thank you Cookie I love this.

Debbiebillg - The pastry was lovely, we all loved it. The kids demolished the quiche, so will be using this recipe again for sure. Thank you.

Uni - Do you need to blind bake the pastry

Debbiebillg - I don't usually blind bake first. I do tend to cook the quiche on 170 degrees, otherwise the filing is too well brown and the pastry not cooked. Hope this helps.

Cookie - You can if you normally do. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Uni - I am making a blue cheese and broccoli, onion quiche in the oven now. I have never made pastry before. It is very easy with this recipe. Thanks. I have had this pastry in the fridge for 12 days before baking.
Have used GF plain flour, all good, could not roll it just pat it down and up the side. I used white wings GF plain flour. Maybe with some practice I will be able to roll it.

Trudy - The pastry was a dream to work with.  Thank you so much for the recipe.

CC - what a great pastry this is to work with. I use it in Maddy's Artichoke and Parmesan Tart. Thanks for a great recipe.

O2K -I made this lovey pastry to use with Maddy's Artichoke & Parmesan Tart.  I used homemade yoghurt cheese instead of cream cheese and was really pleased with the results.
I only needed to use 90g as the yoghurt cheese was of a spreadable consistency. This meant that the quantity of pastry made was less and was only just enough for my tart tin (and rolled thinner than I normally would).  Next time I think I will use the following quantities:
135g plain flour
60g butter
105g yoghurt cheese

The baked pastry was lovely, short and flaky, just like sour cream or normal cream cheese pastry.  It does shrink a lot but that is the same as the other pastries as well.  Just need to leave some overhang before baking (if required).

Dizzy Girl - spelt flour worked well. This is definitely a lovely pastry. I am now a confident pastry maker. DH and DS loved it on his meat pie. Cause DS can't have gravy mix, I added some garlic, small amount of water and beef stock to the diced steak and cooked over low heat. Once cooked I stirred some pure cream through. Made a lovely sauce. Put into a casserole dish and topped with pastry. YUM YUM YUM

thermo 18 - so good. I still can't believe I made pastry, so happy.

JuliaC83 - Made this pastry early this morning as I had leftover Phili from Baf's chicken dish I made the other night. I used wholemeal flour which worked out fine Smiley Left dough wrapped in Gladwrap in the fridge for 4 hours before rolling out and using to make a quiche. Yum! Will definitely make again! Thank you.

Kimmyh - Great pastry cookie thanks. Used some to line a 20 cm round quiche tin and leftovers to make mini quiches.

AussieMum2Boys - Holy yum! This was an awesome pastry base. Super easy to make too. I think this will be my go to recipe for shortcrust pastry from now on. Thanks for sharing.

consumerate - I've made this pastry a few times now and been very impressed each time. As many have said, it is very easy to work with and also keeps well in the fridge for several days. I doubled the mixture to make enough pastry for about five individual meat pies.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:02:12 am by judydawn »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Cream Cheese Pastry
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:44:54 am »
Sounds great Cookie1. I need the lower fat content now  ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59:07 am »
Thanks cookie,  looks good.   Will give it a go.

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 04:17:59 am »
I had bits and pieces of things that needed to be used up in the fridge and thought ohhh quiche would be nice, but alas no pastry!! I did how ever have 125g of cream cheese that needed using too. So i thought OK I'll give this pastry a go...................... and this was awesome, soo easy to make, beautiful to work with (i like to make little quiches to freeze whats not eaten) and best of all a beautiful flavour to compliment my quiche filling!!!
Thank you so much for this little beauty - I won't use commercial pastry for quiche ever again!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:30:36 am »
I have to agree with you tessa. It is so lovely to work with.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 05:41:12 am »
Good one cookie1 - great little number  :-* :-* :-*  Would imagine great for quiches
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

*jo*

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 04:48:41 am »
Thank you Cookie I love this.  Now to find a really good cream free quiche filling *hint hint*  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:51:11 am »
Use skinny tinny instead of cream. Much healthier and you won't know the difference. I sometimes just use milk too.

*jo*

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 04:01:59 am »
This really is a beautiful dough I almost didn't want to cook it! LOL  I doubt I would try another now.

I'm not sure what skinny tinny is but I managed with no fat milk with a little cornflour.

Thank you for this we love it  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 04:22:47 am »
It's Carnation evaporated skim milk - referred to as 'skinny tinny' by some of us oldies  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:39:13 am »
Thanks Judy.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 07:45:12 am »
It's Carnation evaporated skim milk - referred to as 'skinny tinny' by some of us oldies  :D :D
Well I won't be referring to it as a "skinny tinny ever again". It may be true that I'm old- but I'm not going to admit to it  ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 08:11:33 am »
Just go with the flow VHJ  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:35:41 am »
ROFL. Sometimes this forum is better than a comedy show.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 12:18:05 am »
Hiya
Could you use the spreadable cream cheese or does it have to be the harder one ? I'm going to make a quiche today and can't get up to the shops as have two littlies in bed so this is my chance to make dinner.

Hope someone can help.

Debbie