Author Topic: Easy Carbonara  (Read 38488 times)

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
Easy Carbonara
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:06:37 am »
Easy Carbonara
2 large serves

150g spiral pasta
450g warm water
200g thick cream
3 rashers of bacon diced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
Grated cheese (keep aside)

Chop garlic 5 seconds speed 7
Place remaining ingredients except egg and program 15 mins, temp 100, spoon soft, reverse speed.
2 mins before the end pour egg through the hole.
Pour into serving dish, sprinkle over cheese.

Tips - let the pasta sit for a few minutes before serving to absorb liquid.
Swap bacon for mushroom for a vegetarian option.

This serves 3 of us with garlic bread/bread
I have tried increasing pasta and liquid to make it serve more but haven't quite got it right yet.

members' comments

cathy79 - Made this, thank you so much!  This is exactly what I was trying to achieve.  And so easy. It did try to boil over so I reduced the temperature down to 90o.  Luckily I was around and noticed.
I didn't have any cream, so I used only 250g water and 400g milk.  I chopped the garlic, added the liquid and heated then added the rest of the ingredients.  I used wholemeal spirals and thought they might take a little longer but the cooking time was perfect. Instead of bacon I used some chopped cooked chicken.
Makes a great side dish instead of those packet side dish pastas.  There are lots of variations possible with this.

JD - You'll be happy to know this works well with Carnation Light & Creamy Evaporated milk if you're watching your weight.  I substituted liquids with 375 mls evaporated milk, 340 mls water and added 2 tspns cornflour right at the start.
From then on followed the recipe to a T, leaving it 5 minutes to absorb the liquid at the end of the cooking time. 
Next time I will try chicken and broccoli or chicken & mushroom. Didn't have your trouble of it boiling over Cathy so was able to leave temp at 100o the whole time. 
As Cathy said this is a great replacement for those packet pastas but we know exactly what is in ours. Can just check out the varieties at our supermarket and come home and cook our own. Thanks for the posting rainbow.

Jacq - it was delicious!  Thanks for this recipe, it will become one of our regulars.

Kulsha - super yummy and super easy! I didn't have cream or evaporated milk, so just used normal milk + water + 2 tspn cornflour + small knob of butter and the result was very creamy and didn't look or taste low fat.  I threw in a half chopped zucchini but mushrooms would have been nicer and I added a heap of black pepper too as I love that so much. Thanks for the recipe.

SuzieG - This is an amazing recipe. DD had seconds which is pretty rare. Quick and easy - it'll be a regular. Thank you!!

DeeCat - Kids loved it! 4 kids and 4 empty bowls which is rare in our house! Only change I made was add some zucchini and some chicken stock for a bit more flavour. Yum!

Kegvil - got compliments all round. How quick, next time I am definitely starting the garlic bread first.

MJ - I put this recipe on the Forum Community - crediting your name, of course. It's incredibly popular! People have done various tweaks and additions and it's always a winner. Well done!

Kimmyh - Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe. I too made it with evap milk, water and cornflour as suggested in earlier post and it was fantastic. Added mushrooms, any chance to sneak in vegies, and DS3 & DS5 gave it a triple thumbs up!

Greyhoundmum - This one didn't keep too well in the thermoserver. It had plenty of sauce but when I went to serve it about an hour later it was stodgy.  Definitely one to be served and eaten straight away.  I didn't like the taste of the evap milk although my tin had been in the pantry for ages. I think I will try it again with reduced fat cream and I will definitely sauté the bacon first.  Very quick and easy.

Span - I tried this with the evap milk but also substituted the pasta for julienned zucchini. I add the zucchini at the same time as the rest of the ingredients. I only used 1 zucchini but if I were to make it again I would use 2 and cut back the water by about half. Using the zucchini instead of pasta makes the dish worth about 180 calories per serve, which is great for those watching their weight and carb intake. Next time I might try it with a bit of chicken for a little extra protein.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:58:41 am by judydawn »

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Easy Carbonara
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:46:00 am »
Ohh Yummy!  I've tried a once or twice to cook the pasta in milk, using the pasta to thicken the sauce but it hasn't quite worked.  Will have to try this one.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 07:47:24 am »
Good work - that is super easy  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:04 am »
Made this tonight, thank you so much!  This is exactly what I was trying to achieve.  And so easy.

I didn't have any cream, so I used only 250g water and 400g milk.  I chopped the garlic and added the liquid and heated, and then added the rest of the ingredients.  I used wholemeal spirals and thought they might take a little longer but the cooking time was perfect. Instead of bacon I used some chopped cooked chicken.

Makes a great side dish instead of those packet side dish pastas.  There are lots of variations possible with this.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:57:12 am by cathy79 »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 01:21:58 pm »
Do you think this would work with Carnation Light & Creamy Evaporated milk instead of cream rainbow?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:42:43 am »
Should work Judy but may be the sauce would be a bit thinner.  Let me know if you try it.  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:04:03 am »
Just remembered also to add - it did try to boil over so I reduced the temperature down to 90deg.  Luckily I was around and noticed.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 08:16:13 am »
I didn't have any cream, so I used only 250g water and 400g cream. 

Think that might be milk ?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:14 am »
I didn't have any cream, so I used only 250g water and 400g cream. 

Think that might be milk ?
Well spotted.  I didn't have any cream, so I used 250g water and 400g milk.  I have to work out how to make cream out of TMX - it can do almost anything else!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 03:38:08 pm »

[/quote] I have to work out how to make cream out of TMX - it can do almost anything else!
[/quote]

.....and you can.

http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=29
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 04:04:15 pm »
This looks like a winner! Well done rainbow!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:45 pm »

I have to work out how to make cream out of TMX - it can do almost anything else!

.....and you can.

http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=29
Wow that's fantastic!  It's been a running joke in this family that it can do everything except make cow's milk and cream, and now one of those is solved.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:15:31 am »
Good work VHJ - I got notification of CB79's reply and came to let her know that she can - too late.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:55:16 am »
You will be happy to know this does work well with Carnation Light & Creamy Evaporated milk Rainbow and others watching their weight.  I substituted liquids with 375mls evaporated milk, 340mls water and added 2 tspns cornflour right at the start.
From then on followed the recipe to a T, leaving it 5 minutes to absorb the liquid at the end of the cooking time. 

Next time I will try chicken and broccoli or chicken & mushroom. Didn't have your trouble of it boiling over Cathy so was able to leave temp at 100o the whole time. 

As Cathy said this is a great replacement for those packet pastas but we know exactly what is in ours  ;) ;)  Can just check out the varieties at our supermarket and come home and cook our own.

Thanks for the posting rainbow - a quick tea when you have been out all day.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:58 pm »
Glad you enjoyed Judy and thanks for trying the Eva milk, I will give that a try now. :)