Author Topic: MF'S Travels  (Read 95852 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: MF'S Travels
« Reply #420 on: September 29, 2013, 04:11:07 am »
I had put everything in about these pics but it disappeared. The church  Is St. Peter's And St. Paul's. There is a military museum and some pics from inside the Hermitage....a Monet. Then there is a canal cruise  where you can see whT I think is the very famous battleship Potemkin. Correct me if I am wrong MF.

I'll get on with posting without  MF's comments NAND maybe I can add them later.

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #421 on: September 29, 2013, 04:13:11 am »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #422 on: September 29, 2013, 04:14:55 am »

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #423 on: September 29, 2013, 04:17:58 am »
I think this is the ship in the pic but maybe not.

Career (Russian Empire)   
Name:   
1904: Kniaz Potemkin Tavricheskiy
1905: Panteleimon
1917: Potemkin-Tavricheskiy
1917: Borets za Svobodu
Namesake:   
Grigori Potemkin
Saint Pantaleon
Builder:   Nikolaev Admiralty Shipyard
Laid down:   10 October 1898[Note 1]
Launched:   9 October 1900
Completed:   1905
Decommissioned:   March 1918
Out of service:   19 April 1919
Struck:   21 November 1925
Fate:   Scrapped, 1923
General characteristics
Type:   Pre-dreadnought battleship
Displacement:   12,480 long tons (12,680 t) (designed)
12,900 long tons (13,107 t) (actual)
Length:   378 ft 6 in (115.4 m)
Beam:   73 ft (22.3 m)
Draft:   27 ft (8.2 m)
Installed power:   10,600 ihp (7,900 kW)
22 Belleville boilers
Propulsion:   2 shafts, 2 Vertical triple-expansion steam engines
Speed:   16 knots (30 km/h; 18 mph)
Range:   3,200 nautical miles (5,900 km; 3,700 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph)
Complement:   26 officers, 705 enlisted men
Armament:   
2 × twin 12 in (305 mm) guns
16 × single 6 in (152 mm) guns
14 × single 75 mm (3.0 in) guns
6 × single 37 mm (1.5 in) guns
5 × 15-inch (381 mm) torpedo tubes
Armour:   
Krupp cemented armour
Waterline belt: 9 in (229 mm)
Deck: 2–3 in (51–76 mm)
Barbettes: 4.2–10 in (107–254 mm)
Gun turrets: 10 in (254 mm)
Conning tower: 9 in (229 mm)
Bulkheads: 7 in (178 mm)
The Russian battleship Potemkin (Russian: Князь Потёмкин Таврический, Kniaz Potemkin Tavritchesky, "Prince Potemkin of Tauris") was a pre-dreadnought battleship built for the Imperial Russian Navy's Black Sea Fleet. The ship was made famous by the rebellion of the crew against their oppressive officers in June 1905 (during the Russian Revolution of 1905). It later came to be viewed as an initial step towards the Russian Revolution of 1917, and was the basis of Sergei Eisenstein's silent film The Battleship Potemkin (1925).
Following the mutiny in 1905, the ship's name was changed to Panteleimon. She accidentally sank a Russian submarine in 1909 and was badly damaged when she ran aground in 1911. Panteleimon participated in the Battle of Cape Sarych shortly after Russia declared war on the Ottoman Empire in late 1914 during World War I. She covered several bombardments of the Bosphorus fortifications in early 1915, including one where she was attacked by the German battlecruiser SMS Goeben; Panteleimon and the other Russian pre-dreadnoughts, managed to drive her off. The ship was relegated to secondary roles after the first dreadnought entered service in late 1915 and reduced to reserve in 1918 in Sevastopol.
Panteleimon was captured when the Germans took Sevastopol in May 1918 and was handed over to the Allies after the Armistice in November 1918. Her engines were destroyed in 1919 by the British when they withdrew from Sevastopol to prevent the advancing Bolsheviks from using them against the White Russians. She was abandoned when the Whites evacuated the Crimea in 1920 and was finally scrapped by the Soviets in 1923.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 29, 2013, 04:52:41 am »
If that I not the Potemkin Maybe it is a replica. Would have loved to see that!

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 29, 2013, 06:31:07 am »
Hope you enjoyed the bottle Gert and a huge  thank you for posting my photos  :D
The ship in the photo is actually the Russian cruiser Aurora which sparked a revolution on 17th October 1917 after she refused an order to be put out to sea. It is now a museum and well preserved.

We just had breakfast and have said all of our goodbyes although I prefer the lovely Italian 'arrivederci'.
Off to the Pushka Inn on one of the canal embankments in the old part of the city soon and don't know if we have wifi there. Staying only one night but a nice way to end a fantastic trip in this wonderful country. Altogether a great holiday with 3 weeks in beautiful Italy which has to be my favourite country in Europe.  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 29, 2013, 06:47:28 am »
Finishing the bottle now MF? The ship was certainly circa the Potemkin so that  is why I thought it was she but after further research I see the scrapped it. So delightful to see the Aurora in good nick. Lovely but of history.

I hope you get to a cafe or restaurant the locals use and I know a curry is a MUST!

Thank you so much for sharing. When the trip is finished I will download it all to my mac and delete from the iPad so if you need any pics I have them for you . Let me know then. I will delete your personal stuff  so I can't use it  against you. You might want me to especially delete the nudie ones eh.? I never would put those on the forum even if they were "interesting". LOL! Love that DH of yours.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #427 on: September 29, 2013, 06:54:23 am »

Church of the saviour on the spilled blood. Good god what a name!

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 29, 2013, 07:06:25 am »
Finishing the bottle now MF? The ship was certainly circa the Potemkin so that  is why I thought it was she but after further research I see the scrapped it. So delightful to see the Aurora in good nick. Lovely but of history.

I hope you get to a cafe or restaurant the locals use and I know a curry is a MUST!

Thank you so much for sharing. When the trip is finished I will download it all to my mac and delete from the iPad so if you need any pics I have them for you . Let me know then. I will delete your personal stuff  so I can't use it  against you. You might want me to especially delete the nudie ones eh.? I never would put those on the forum even if they were "interesting". LOL! Love that DH of yours.

Gert

LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 29, 2013, 07:55:40 am »
Fantastic photos. Ждвьв  юяьвд  вибухів
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:58:12 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:46 am »
Never complain. Never explain and what goes on tour stays  on tour.  ;D ;D ;D

Gery

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:58 am »
And ргшййф гордых

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:14 am »
I love it Gert  I will have to see if D H can read what we have written  I dare not ask MIL we have probably said something bad, I wouldn't know   :D ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 29, 2013, 09:45:34 am »
Too funny. I download the Russian keyboard so s to communicate with a friend. Haven't used Russian since I learned  it in high school . My bit was random tapping!!!! NFI!

Easy language to learn to speak but not  to write but not as difficult to write  as Thai which is not difficult to learn to speak

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 29, 2013, 09:47:22 am »
Mine was random Ukrainian  they are very similar  .