Author Topic: Making Condensed Milk  (Read 67028 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Making Condensed Milk
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 10:50:32 am »
I made the recipe for condensed milk from Mamabel,  it was the second recipe, the one from the Destitute Gourmet.   It made the equivalent of one tin.   It was good enough to use in cooking, eg.  my malt biscuits,  but not good enough for any recipe where it is the dominate flavor.   I am going to try the other 2 recipes as both will be a lot cheaper than the bought stuff.
Today I bought a jar of genuine Dulce de Leche,  from a Spanish shop ($4) so that I can taste it and see how the TMX one compares. Also bought some chocolate and Almond Turron.   I have never tasted it so as I thought I might make some,  thought I had better taste the genuine article.  Will let you know how they compare.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 01:41:03 pm »
Thanks CP63 and chookie.  I think I'll do a batch with a can, and a batch with the recipe I posted that you're using, CP63.  Sounds like comparing results is a good excuse for making loads of fudge to me  ;)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 10:19:55 am »
Good to see you doing some serious research  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 04:54:57 pm »
Quote from: Thermomixer link=topic=2347.msg57554#msg57554 date=
Good to see you doing some serious research  :-* :-* :-* :-*

All in the interests of science and my fellow forum members, obviously  ;) :D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 08:55:27 am »
I used some of the TMX Condensed Milk in the Malt Biscuits.   Slightly different flavor.   I'm probably the only one who noticed,   If it is a matter of cost,  then I would buy from the supermarket when on special as it works out the same price.  If ,  however you wish to make it for other reasons,  then it is an acceptable sub.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 03:41:27 am »
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add my experience today here, in case it is of interest to anyone.  I wanted to make Condensed Milk purely for using in icecream (DH's favourite version), so used an approximation of the recipe posted earlier in this topic without powdered milk.  I used:

1 litre unhomogenised organic milk
750g raw sugar
1 tblspn vanilla extract

Cooked it at Varoma temp on speed 4.5 (speed 4 is too slow, as per TMXer's experiment) for 20 minutes initially, then kept going for 10 minute increments for an additional 30 minutes.  This was too much though.  After 40 minutes in total, I still didn't think it was quite enough, but in retrospect, it may have been (especially as it thickens as it cools).  So perhaps 40-45 minutes might be just right.

Anyway, I used 200g of my "poor man's Dulce de Leche" with 600mls of cream and some more vanilla to make ice cream and I think it is as good as using a can of condensed milk (probably better, because the milk was organic and I've used less than whole can).

When I mixed up the ice cream mixture, the milk mixture was still quite hot and pretty runny and so it mixed with the cream really well.  Now that the condensed milk has sat in the fridge it is pretty solid so I think I will have to melt it some before adding the cream as I don't think it would get on too well with the butterfly!

Offline gemiNy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 01:59:21 pm »
1 litre unhomogenised organic milk
750g raw sugar
1 tblspn vanilla extract

O....M....G....!!!!!!!

Sooooooooooooooo much better than my previous attempt at SCM.  Seriously good!  My pancreas is screaming at me, but I can barely hear it over the squeals of delight from my tastebuds ;)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 10:56:02 am »
Lol  ;D

When I make this these days, I've actually cut the sugar down to 1/2 the volume of milk.  So if I make a small batch (say enough for making icecream), I use 500g milk, 250g sugar and vanilla and cook it for just over 1/2 the amount of time.

Offline SuperMum_of_3

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:02 am »
Oooh, thanks!
I'd like to try the ice-cream recipe but was put off b/c it contained condensed milk - I don't like it bc is WAAAAAAYY to sweet. It never occured to me I could make my own! Now I can make & use 1/3 the sugar & then use it in the ice-cream recipe. YUM!
Thanks for the revolutionary thought!

Offline Mashley

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 12:05:13 am »
Condensed Milk in Thermomix

Ingredients
100g water
220g powdered milk
80g sugar.

Method
Blitz the sugar for a 8 seconds on speed 9. Then add water.
Cook 5 minutes at 80 degrees on speed 1 until sugar dissolves.
Add the powdered milk and cook another 3 minutes at 50 degrees on speed 4.

I just made this and it's perfect. I can't tell the difference between this and the tin. I made a mistake though and after powdering the sugar (20 seconds on 10, leave mc on until it settles, tap to shake powder down before opening), I added the milk powder. To rectify it, I added 100g of boiling water, cooked at 50deg for 3 minutes on speed 5 and then one minute at 80deg speed 5.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 01:40:25 am »
Mashley, a little tip when grinding ingredients into powder is to put some clingfilm over the bowl under the lid, less dust and its not in the lid.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Making Condensed Milk
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 07:19:38 am »
I needed condensed milk for a recipe yesterday so decided to give this a go. I was very pleased with the result. It was a bit thinner than tinned condensed milk but I think a little less sweet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:22:22 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2015, 06:58:51 am »
Recipe from South African Odyssey for condensed milk is wonderful and only takes 5 minutes.

300gm sugar
150gm full cream milk powder
160gm full cream milk
Grind sugar in 2 batches of 150gm 15 seconds speed 9 add other ingredients and cook 4 minutes 90C speed 4.
I tend to cook for 4 minutes after temperature reached and then continue stirring speed 3 without heat until temperature drops to 50 when I bottle it.
Before washing bowl add a cup of coffee and whizz for a perfect cappuccino  :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2015, 08:56:18 am »
Thanks for the recipe Shayla.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »
Thanks Shayla. It's so good to be able to make your own condensed milk. Another tin less in the pantry.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/