Author Topic: Review Savoury Pancakes Pge 17 A Seafood Bounty  (Read 1952 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review Savoury Pancakes Pge 17 A Seafood Bounty
« on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:31 am »
For the latest challenge I grabbed this book as there have been very few recipes reviewed.  I chose this one as I had all ingredients.

At the beginning of this book (and probably in most of the early recipe books) it says all recipes serve 4-6 people but I prefer to see each recipe's serving quantities listed on the actual recipe.  There is a big difference between 4 & 6 serves, especially when they don't even tell you how many pancakes to make.

This recipe is a cold recipe to be used as an entree but it's not something I would serve my guests in this form.  The pancake mixture is strange, it uses 3 egg whites.  It was a very thick mixture, hard to swirl  around and cover the base of my 26 cm non-stick pan.  The pancakes ended up thicker than I would have liked, more like large pikelets.  I would suggest using your normal pancake mixture, the thinner the better.

The filling was fine although I did reduce the sun-dried tomatoes down to 40 g and the capers down to 20 g as I'm not overly fond of either of those ingredients even though I did have them in the pantry.  These quantities worked well for me. You need to chop larger pieces of sun-dried tomatoes before placing them in the TM bowl as the chopping time is too short to do it properly.

I had 1 pancake for lunch, for tea I spread some of the mixture onto hot, buttered toast and did the same for breakfast this morning.  This is my preferred use of this mixture and I'd say it would be nice on crackers too.  I would serve this to visitors as part of a dip offering.

Update - yes the mixture is nice on crackers.

Linked JD

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:06:38 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review Savoury Pancakes Pge 17 A Seafood Bounty
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:59 am »
A great review Judy. :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review Savoury Pancakes Pge 17 A Seafood Bounty
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »
Thanks Denise.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.