Author Topic: Easy Apple Teacake  (Read 96819 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Easy Apple Teacake
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:28:59 am »
I haven't tried the apple teacake from the Aus cookbook, so I can't compare.  I do know that this is very easy and tasty though!

Easy Apple Teacake

Ingredients:
Butter (60g)
Milk (200g)
Egg (1)
Vanilla Extract (half teaspoon)
SR flour (190g)
Raw Sugar (100g)
Pinch Salt
2 medium apples peeled and thinly sliced (preferably cooking apples or golden dels)
Cinnamon and sugar (for sprinkling on top of cake)

Method:
Preheat oven to moderate and grease and flour your cake tin (I use a 20cm ring tin).

Melt butter in tmx bowl for 2 mins, 90 degrees, speed 1.

Add milk, vanilla extract and egg.  Mix for 5 seconds on speed 5.

Add flour, sugar and salt.  Mix for 10 seconds, speed 5.

Tip batter into tin and poke apple slices into batter (doesn’t matter if bits stick out).  I do a fan shape around the tin.

Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Serve by itself, or with whipped cream and/or custard.  Enjoy.  :)

Photos by Maddy (many thanks  :-*):

You can find another version of my Easy Apple Teacake (which includes spelt flour and rapadura) on my blog here.

Members' comments
Trudy - I love how the sugar & cinnamon have formed a crunchy topping.  I'm sure it will taste as good as it looks.

brazen20au - I will say it was delicious!!!! i did make some minor changes - before I mixed the cake I used the tmx to chop 6 very old golden delicious apples.  Mixed them with cinnamon and sugar ( used raw) then put half the apple mix in the middle of the cake ( think I stirred it in a little) and half on top. Also did the whole thing gluten free.  It was soooooo moist and just beautiful, and I'm not a tea cake lover.
Today I left out the apples and added in 1 tab of cocoa for yummy chocolate cupcakes! (again GF, am about to blog it). dh pronounced my GF chocolate version of this cake as 'the best chocolate cake EVER' in between bouts of mmm and mmmmmmmmm.

christomo - Great tea cake. Made it yesterday and it is all gone. Very moist. Hit with DH.

maddy - I love this apple tea cake. I just increased the vanilla essence to 1 tsp of vanilla extract.

VHJ - Made this for morning tea using Brazen's idea to chop the apple in the TMX first. I had to cook mine a bit longer but I think the oven wasn't at the right temp. (didn't have my glasses on !!) I used 2 very tired & sad red apples & they were lovely. Thanks Chelsea.  

Chelsea - I must admit I have started chopping the apples in the TMX when I am in a rush.  It doesn't look as "rustic" but still tastes the same.

Tebasile - So fast and so delicious. I had to do some changes. I don't use SR Flour, had no eggs and no butter.
Instead of the egg I mixed 1 tsp ground chia + 1 tsp ground yellow flaxseed with 1 tsp Agave + 3 Tbs water. I used 190g sifted spelt flour + 2 tsp baking powder. Instead butter coconut oil and only 80g Turbinado.

obbie - very quick and easy. I used a apple slinky to slice/peel/core the apples. Thanks. I make this as a cake a lot, I will do muffins now as well.

Violin Cuddles - it was scrumptious! Thank you! I'm going to make into muffins to take to our preschool brunch tomorrow. I also used our apple slinkie and used 3 large-ish apples to up the fruit content.

Debbiebillg - So quick (especially when DH does he apples while I did the batter).  Yummy, yummy !  It reminds me of muffins I used to buy at a bakery near where I worked.  They were huge and the cake part had chopped apple in the bottom and then the top had something a bit like apple crumble topping on top, if was a kind of crunchy.  My DH (who never raves often) loved this.  Will definitely make again ! Thanks so much.  Used apple slinky and cut it in half.  One apple is enough to cover the whole cake.  

joynatalie - Loved it!  I also tried it with chopping the apples first and add a tiny bit of lemon zest.

Sharon1 - Our family loved this cake!  Thanks for the recipe!

lucjar - I just made this cake but substituted the butter with Nuttelex (Original), the milk with rice milk, the self raising flour with Orgran brand (wheat, gluten and soy free) Self Raising Flour (I cheated, I know) and the egg with Orgran's Nor-Egg and it turned out beautifully.  

I did cook it for a bit longer (approximately 10-15 minutes).  

My 'highly-allergic-to-practically-everything' son is so impressed. He can't wait to take it to Vacation-Care tomorrow so his friends can see he can eat cake like they eat.....Thank You!  The recipe was so easy and quick, I can foresee that it will become a staple in our household.

Cathy79 -  I made a double batch of the cake mixture, swapped 100g of flour for 100g rolled oats, and made muffins - about 16 large I think.  Delicious!

maddy - I made individual cakes, using Robert Gordon's muffin papers, placed in a Texas muffin tin. I added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to the batter, and scooped 1 3/4 ice cream scoops of batter into each case.  Made 7
Cooked for 20 mins on 180oC.

astarra - I have just taken these (as muffins) out of the oven - they smell absolutely divine!!!! I made them with Nutelex and soy milk [DD (2) has just been diagnosed with severe intolerance to Sheep, Goat and Cow's milk.] and instead of sliced apple on top I swirled through some apple and raspberry puree I made this morning to go over the girls' porridge. So I have some pink swirly muffins now - girls are eyeing them off, bit hot just yet!!
So a massive thanks from here, a real quick, easy recipe SHE CAN ACTUALLY EAT!!!! 

ES - I made these in my ThermoChef for the kid and they got a big thumbs up. The only adjustment I made was to mix at speed 4 instead of speed 5. I made them into 12 large cupcakes, using my muffin tin and large cupcake papers. I used one green apple, and one red one. I left them with their skins on and alternated red slices with green slices. I used my Ikea corer/slicer and then cut each piece into thinner slices. I baked them in a moderate oven for 18 minutes.
I made these as cupcakes today- reduced the sugar, replaced 1/4 flour with wholemeal and only used 1 large pink lady apple. It made 1 dozen cakes and I cooked them for 17 minutes. I love this recipe as it is so quick, and doesn't need to be iced.

pandateddy - I make this tea cake all the time. My family loves it, even one family member who never eats cake at all. It is lovely and moist.

Decadent Dot - I made these today as muffins. They made 9. I have to say that they look and taste good.  I might even try these spiced up a bit with mixed spices. Whatever they will go into my favourites directory as a quick and easy answer to a guest coming round. They gave me a reason to test out my slicer/corer apple machine. I just held back on the peeling.

Merlin - I made this cake for the kids lunch boxes last week and it was eaten and well liked in their opinion- if any item in their lunchbox is eaten then it means a resounding success for me as there are plenty of things I send to school that don't get eaten and the school has a strict- no sharing of lunches and no throwing out of uneaten food- although how they police that I don't know! Unfortunately I can't eat this cake myself but the texture looked great and even better, the smell of apples and cinnamon cooking in the kitchen is always wonderful. I am making this cake for the school's Biggest morning tea next week.

Trish - I made this today and although really tasty I'm not sure what I did wrong?? It looked great and high, fluffy but it collapsed.  It was very dense and heavy after that too.

Chelsea's response - I'm not sure what happened? I have made dozens of these without a collapse. Did you use self raising flour or plain flour with baking powder?

funnyfarm2 - This cake is so easy and very delicious! My family demolished it very quickly. Will definitely become a favourite as always have the ingredients on hand.

Kimmyh - Made this for afternoon tea today. Very quick and simple to make. Lovely served warm. Will try with custard as a dessert next time. Great recipe thank you.

Amy - Thanks for this recipe Chelsea. I made it today, looks and smells delicious. It is for pudding tonight so I will report back later.
I think it will become a favourite here too. I left SD to get his own pudding last night, and when I came to the dining room I saw he'd eaten a whole quarter of the cake LOL

suzanne - it's my favorite at the moment.

CC - Just made this, smells wonderful and tasted great too.

Elkwin - so very very yummy. I added a few slurps of apple juice concentrate into the batter mixture and put dollops of dulche de lechy throughout before I put the apples and topping on. This will become one of my fav recipes, I always have the ingredients to hand and it's so simple.

JD -  I made mine in a ring tin, only a small cake but delicious.  How did you get your top so brown Astarra, mine and everyone else's is nowhere near as dark as yours.

astarra - When I made this as muffins, the tops were pale, but I put it one rack higher in the oven for the cake and it seemed to cook better the whole way through, also did not use fan forced, don't really know!!

kezza - Lovely cake - reminds me of the apple teacake Mum made when I was a child.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:36:56 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Easy Apple Teacake
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:25:59 am »
Ta Chelsea - sounds wonderfully easy and tasty - wish the Thermomix would slice too  :(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:40:12 am »
Thanks Chelsea,

I'm going to make this tomorrow as it sounds great!!!

Trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:01:32 pm »
Thermomixer - I did get a bit crabby peeling and slicing the apples - my thermie is making me a bit lazy!!! :D

I hope you enjoy it Trudy!

It is my Grandma's recipe and not at all gourmet.  Sometimes though you just need some homestyle comfort food.  It is also a good standby recipe, as the ingredients are staples in most peoples cupboards/fridges.

Chelsea  :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 03:46:49 am »
Hi Chelsea!!!    Well the cake has just come out of the oven.  I love how the sugar & cinnamon have formed a crunchy topping.  I'm sure it will taste as good as it looks.

Thanks,

Trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:10:01 am »
My husband Chris made me laugh last night when he came home from work.  A work-mate had offered Chris a milo bar in exchange for a piece of "home-made" tea-cake - Chris declined.  I felt a bit sorry for the chap so I sent Chris off to work today with a plate of "home-made" fudgy-wudgy cookies (yummo) and instructions to share!!!

Chelsea  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:25:18 am »
...  I felt a bit sorry for the chap so I sent Chris off to work today with a plate of "home-made" fudgy-wudgy cookies (yummo) and instructions to share!!!

Very kind indeed - shame he doesn't work here  ;) ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 08:36:26 am »
i made this cake for my parents last week and as i managed to snaffle a piece i will say it was delcious!!!! i did make some minor changes - before i mixed the cake i used the tmx to chop 6 very old golden delicious apples i had in the pantry. i mixed them with cinnamon and sugar (i used raw). then i put half the apple mix in the middle of the cake (i think i stirred it in a little) and half on top. i also did the whole thing gluten free. it was soooooo moist and just beautiful, and i am not a tea cake lover ;)

today i left out the apples and added in 1 tab of cocoa for yummy chocolate cupcakes! (again GF, am about to blog it)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 09:09:16 am »

i did make some minor changes -

You're as bad as me  ;) ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 09:27:22 am »
teehee

i simply can't help myself. i don't know how i'm going to cope cooking in front of people - when i used to cook the tupperware recipes i was forever saying "now just pretend that i did this or measured that" lol
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 09:55:46 am »
I know my consultant was not keen to have "one I prepared earlier" goodies for presentation at demos when
I talked to her about some ideas.

The big sales pitch is that the food can be produced so quickly that you don't need to prepare ANYTHING beforehand - lest people think that there is lots to do !!

If I became a consultant I would still be tempted to bring along some extra tidbits !!  ;) ;)  :-))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:06:53 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:44:36 am »
i thought i'd report that dh pronounced my GF chocolate version of this cake as 'the best chocolate cake EVER' in between bouts of mmm and mmmmmmmmm LOL
My Cooking Blog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 12:08:20 pm »
i thought i'd report that dh pronounced my GF chocolate version of this cake as 'the best chocolate cake EVER' in between bouts of mmm and mmmmmmmmm LOL

It is a great cake.  I will have to try it as a base for chocolate cake - sounds good!  Actually my late Grandma used to make a delicious chocolate apple cake - perhaps I should experiment with cocoa and apples!!!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 12:57:20 pm »
i thougth about putting apple sauce in but think i have run out!
My Cooking Blog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:13 am »

i did make some minor changes -

You're as bad as me  ;) ;) ;)

I did have a giggle at the "minor changes" that you made Karen  :D :D :D.  The apple teacake turned into gluten free, apple-less chocolate cupcakes.  It is lovely that it was referenced it back to my teacake recipe, though you could have posted it as an entirely new recipe and I never would have recognised it.