Author Topic: Chicken Korma  (Read 34368 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Chicken Korma
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »
As part of an Indian meal, I cooked Chicken Korma. DH does not like hot spicy food so I left the chilli powder out. I used thigh meat and although I made all the sauce, I removed 1/2 after it was cooked, and before I added the chicken. I had just over 500g of chicken. The recipe came from Thermomix 'Fast and Easy Indian Cooking', page 116-117. It was very nice and will make it again. The full recipe will feed 6-8 as stated in recipe , with rice and a salad.

40g. cashews
3 cloves of garlic
4cm of fresh ginger
1 onion, peeled and 1/4 ed
10g oil
3/4 teasp. ground cumin
1 teasp. coriander
1/4 teasp. turmeric
1 teasp salt
140g cream
200g water
2 teasp. tomato puree
1/4 chilli powder (I didn't use)
2 fresh bay leaver
6 cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
5cm. cinnamom stick
1000g boneless chicken.
1 teaspoon garam masala (I didn't use)

Grind nuts,8 sec.speed 9. Leave in bowl
Mince, garlic, ginger and onion by dropping on to blades at speed 5. Scrape down
Add oil and cook 3 mins.100,speed 3.
Add cumin,coriander,turmeric,salt and chilli, if using. Cook6 mins,100,speed2.
Add cream and water and tomato puree,blend 10 sec, speed 9.
Cook 6 mins.,100, speed 2. In the mean time add 1 tablesp to a frying pan and cook the additional whole spices, until fragrant. Stop machine and tip in whole spices and oil. Restart machine and continue cooking.
Add ,chicken ,( cut into 2cm. cubes, skinless), and poke under with spatula.
Cook 15 mins for breast meat, and
20 mins. for thigh meat.

15/20 mins,100,reverse,spoon speed.

If you don't want whole spices in the finished dish, blend sauce BEFORE adding chicken. 1 min speed 10.

Serve with additional cashew nuts

See photo herehttp://achookwoman.blogspot.com/2010/02/chicken-korma.html

members' comments

Caroline J - Made it, loved it.

boondooroostudio -  THANK YOU Chookie, it was fantastic. I used all the spices, as we do like hot stuff but as we don't like pulling bits and pieces out of our mouths as we're eating I decided the 1 minute speed 10 was the go and it certainly was!!!!  The best Chicken Korma I've had for ages..... taa  10/10

MJ - I made this with prawns and it was yummo!

Lemongrass - it was probably one of the best Kormas I've ever had! I followed the Indian cookbook recipe and used almonds instead of cashews and left the ginger out. A real treat. I know the recipe says it's for 6-8 people but I only had 400g chicken and yet made all the sauce. No leftovers. Will definitely do it again!

Chelsey - I can say is YUM!!!!!! The smell of my house while it was cooking was amazing! My hubby was very impressed!

WAThermoFamily - we loved it too!  Saved the leftover sauce and served it over the Varoma cooked steamed rice and vegies the next night.

Makayla - I made this using lamb.  Everyone loved it, especially my 2 year old who had seconds!

CP - made this as a result of the positive reviews and yes, have to agree with everyone. I'm glad that I blended the whole spices before adding the chicken because it gives it a beautiful flavour.

virgo9 - I made this although a little bit hesitantly as I have 2 fussy eating kids but I am so happy to say that they really liked it. DH and I enjoyed it too. I steamed some carrots and peas so the kids would fill up on vegies and rice if they didn't like it but this wasn't a problem at all. I didn't try giving it to our bub as he's even fussier (if that's possible) but may try him next time given the other two's reaction. Smiles all round at our house that night.

maddy - 3 of us enjoyed the flavours (didn't add chilli or garam marsala either)......and as expected.....the 8 year old ate the rice.....no surprises there.

MJ - I don't add the whole spices any more in this recipe. I simply use ground spices and add them at the same time as the other spices.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:22:55 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Chicken Korma
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:34:47 pm »
Thanks Chookie - sounds great.  I still have about 500g of korma curry powder that MrsT bought last year.  I think that is would have been better to make ourselves  :(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:50:07 am »
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:13:18 pm »
Made it, loved it :D

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:51:04 am »
I have just finished dinner and I just had to run and say THANK YOU Chookie it was fantastic  :) :) :). I used all the spices, as we do like hot stuff, but as we don't like pulling bits and pieces out of our mouths as we're eating I decided the 1 minute speed 10 was the go and it certainly was!!!! ;D. The best Chicken Korma I've had for ages..... taa :D :D ;) ;) 10/10

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:08 am »
boonderoostudio,  glad you liked it.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:58:47 am »
I made this with prawns a while ago and it was yummo!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 07:11:43 am »
Glad you liked it MJ.  Prawns sound great.

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:42:48 pm »
I made this for lunch today, and it was probably on of the best Kormas I've ever had !
I followed the Indian cookbook recipe and used almonds instead of cashews, and left the ginger out. A real treat.
I know the recipe says it's for 6-8 people, but I only had 400g chicken and yet made all the sauce. No leftovers :)
Will definitely do it again !

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 10:03:42 am »
Thanks for the feedback Lemongrass - always good to know that others are succeeding with the recipes - good recommendation.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 03:46:13 pm »
I made this yesterday and all I can say is YUM!!!!!! The smell of my house while it was cooking was amazing! My hubby was very impressed!

Offline WAThermoFamily

• View Profile
    • Mish Mash of Food and Thermomix
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:34:07 am »
Made this last week and we loved it too!  Saved the leftover sauce and served it over the Varoma cooked steamed rice and vegies the next night.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 08:46:13 am »
WAThermofamily,  what a good idea.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:22:44 am »
Great idea indeed - great sauce to use for lots of meats/veg
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Makayla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 12:31:19 am »
I made this last night and used lamb.  Everyone loved it, especially my 2 year old who had seconds!