Author Topic: Hello from the Highlands  (Read 5952 times)

Offline anewone

• View Profile
Hello from the Highlands
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:52:49 am »
Hi Everyone

I'm Jodi from the Southern Highlands of NSW. My new baby I mean Thermomix arrived last Thursday and has settled in well. 

Before I grew up and had children I trained as a home economist, running cooking classes and demonstrated the good old Bamix and Magimix both of which I still have 20 years later. I've never hesitated at spending money on good kitchen appliances and equipment but the TMX is my most expensive appliance yet, apart from our oven and cooktop.

I work from home now as a self employed early childhood educator doing family daycare.  I have children Mon-Thurs until 4:30pm and then after school activities with my own school age child which means dinner times are always rushed. We've already seen a huge difference since our new family member arrived, we've had a meal cooked from scratch every night since Thursday.

I've read this forum for a while now but hoping I can contribute myself now I've got my new toy  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from the Highlands
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:13:52 am »
Hello anewone, welcome to the forum.  Good quality kitchen appliances do last a long time so are well worth the extra money.
At the end of your day, I would be ready to fall into a nice comfortable chair and put my feet up - that would be me done for the day, oops somewhere in there I guess I would have to cook the evening meal. You must be very organised indeed and with your new helper in the kitchen, life is going to become so much easier.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:19:13 am »
Welcome to the forum! I know I'm generally pretty busy and exhausted by the end of the day, but just reading your background makes me feel knackered! Good luck with your new 'baby'  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:19:04 am by Merlin »
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:30:07 am »
Hi Jodi, welcome to the forum.
Sounds like your new baby is just what you needed for your busy lifestyle. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:06:50 am »
Hello and welcome to the world of TMX and the best forum around. Have fun
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:16:22 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum. sounds like you have it all worked out.

'Great to have you here.

Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:34 am »
Congratulations Jodi, you will love your new baby.  And it is so well behaved most of the time.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:31:05 am »
Welcome to the Forum, Jodie.   You are a very busy person doing a very important job.  I hope that your new 'baby' helps to free up a bit of time for you.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:38:30 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum anewone :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:04:19 pm »
Hi Jodi, welcome to the forum.

I'm pleased you find your TMX a time saver we all do. There comes

a time that you wonder how you managed before :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 04:25:40 am »
Welcome Jodi. Would some of your 'charges' like making things with you in the TMX? Perhaps soup and bread for their lunch?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:43:34 am »
Hello Jodi and welcome to the forum.  :)
How many children do you have to care for each day?
:D

Offline anewone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 07:48:57 am »
Welcome Jodi. Would some of your 'charges' like making things with you in the TMX? Perhaps soup and bread for their lunch?

Cookie, we've used it a lot this week to cook different things, they love it as much as I do. We made playdoh on Monday but we weren't at impressed (we're very fussy with our playdoh at Jodi's place) so will have a fiddle with the recipe and see if we can improve it for this week coming.  We also made bread and soup and some cinnamon scrolls  ;D. Good thing about using it so much for daycare is that I can claim it as a business expense!

Astarra I care for up to 5 preschool aged children and 2 school age (after school) each day. I have 2 children of my own both girls aged 7 and 3.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 08:20:02 am »
Anewone, the playdough recipe you used, is it the same as this one which Faffa posted on the forum?
Thermomix Playdough

Ingredients:
250g Water
100g Cooking Salt
1 Tablespoon Cream of Tartar
280g Plain Flour
15ml Cooking Oil
Food Colouring or Powder Paints (to colour)

Preparation:

Put the water, salt, cream of tartar and food colour into  . Heat for 5 minutes at 60o on speed 3.

After cooking, add flour and mix for 40 seconds or until mixture is combined and thick.

Set dial to closed lid position.

Add oil and knead for 1 minute on 

Tips/Hints:

If you wish to make several different colours from the one batch, leave out the food colour in step 1. Then when dough is made, divide dough into balls and add a different colour to each ball. Knead the colour through the dough.  Store each colour in a separate airtight container to keep dough from hardening.

Encourage your children to be creative and make play dough models, characters, animals etc.

I have written this recipe as I now make it, which is the "tried and tested forum recipe"!!   Thanks everyone for your input.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18:37 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum Jodie. Seems that the thermomix is just what you need with your busy lifestyle.