Author Topic: I'm New  (Read 13537 times)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: I'm New
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 07:42:26 am »
Hi
A great suggestion to clear out my freezer in preparation for getting my TMX.  I have just about every kitchen appliance going apart from TMX as yet.   I am wondering which of my existing appliances I will no longer  be using and could give away or sell. Any suggestions... I have slow cooker, mixer, blender, steamer, ice cream maker and they are just a few!! 

I am also looking for tips about what I will also need for my TMX.  I am left handed so I am thinking I may not be able to use the spatula that comes with it, maybe also a teat brush for cleaning..

I am hoping to be able to win over my husband. .... His immediate response prior to even hearing more about TMX was......it cost how much!!!!!!!    I am hoping he gets to appreciate it as much as I know I am going to.   

love to chat with other newbies who are eagerly anticipating arrival of TMX.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 08:16:57 am »
Here's a previous thread regarding which appliances to keep.

I think I remember reading the spatula that comes with the TMX is suitable for left handed and right handed people but someone will either confirm or poopah that one.  Most of us use silicon spatulas for removing food from the bowl and only use the TMX one for any time something has to be stirred through the lid and for removing the steaming bowl.  A lot of us have bought this spatula/cleaning brush set from Helene which have not long been on the market.

Here's a list of recipe books available for the Thermomix.  Some are not available through your consultant or Head office - you will find details of how to buy them under each book.  Have a browse through that section if you have time and read some of the reviews - it may help you decide which books you might like to purchase down the track.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 10:46:18 pm »
Hi
A great suggestion to clear out my freezer in preparation for getting my TMX.  I have just about every kitchen appliance going apart from TMX as yet.   I am wondering which of my existing appliances I will no longer  be using and could give away or sell. Any suggestions... I have slow cooker, mixer, blender, steamer, ice cream maker and they are just a few!!  

I am also looking for tips about what I will also need for my TMX.  I am left handed so I am thinking I may not be able to use the spatula that comes with it, maybe also a teat brush for cleaning..

I am hoping to be able to win over my husband. .... His immediate response prior to even hearing more about TMX was......it cost how much!!!!!!!    I am hoping he gets to appreciate it as much as I know I am going to.    

love to chat with other newbies who are eagerly anticipating arrival of TMX.

Hi Lisa

I have two sleeps to go til mine arrives! :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:30:45 pm by judydawn »

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 05:29:02 am »
Hi cooking-good-looking

Lucky you, I will eagerly be reading your early experences with your TM. Have you already got a list of things to make on Day 1? 

:)

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 11:18:46 am »
I was thinking risotto- and sorbet for desert! Something that my almost 2 year old will eat as she doesn't like the frozen berry one!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:31:25 pm by judydawn »

Offline Miss 50s

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 07:54:17 am »
HI Lisa,

I am in Perth too and am holding a demo tomorrow night. My partner thinks it's just like a Kitchenaid mixer - he has no idea. He's working away at the moment so I'm hoping it will be in the kitchen when he comes back and I can win him over :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 08:35:22 am »
 :D :D :D :D Bit late to win him over if it is sitting on the bench when he comes home Miss 50s - sounds like he has to accept it whether he likes it or not.  I hope you have plenty of time to get used to your new machine so that by the time he returns you will be able to whip up every type of food he loves.  Enjoy your demo.  :)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 12:27:08 am »
Miss 50's
How did your demo go ?  I still have two weeks to wait until my TM arrives.  My husband also thinks the TM is only an expensive mixer, I will have to work hard to convince him!! So keen to hear how you go with that.  Have fun and please post your first few meals.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 12:33:11 am »
Hi I am enjoying reading recipes and tips in preparation for my TM arrival.   

I would like to know If it is possible to bookmark a thread to come back to?  I am finding my way through threads to recipes and then not being able to get back there!  Is it best to just import the recipe into Paprika or similar ?

Although I am enjoying the content of the forum, I am finding navigating my way round it quite cumbersome. Any hints on Easier ways? I have Tapatalk which makes it visually better to navigate but would like more ideas on how to find way round the forum.

jakodai

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55:50 am »
You can subscribe to a post by tapping the box with the arrow at the top right of your screen. Then to get your subscribed posts tap the 'Favourites' button, or More > Favourites. I hope this helps...

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 04:04:31 am »
Hi

Two weeks to go until I get my TMX  :) I have borrowed some books from a friend to browse through to give me some ideas. I am glad I didn't purchase many of them as I wouldn't cook half of the contents!! That is the beauty of the internet and forums, you get to pick your own recipes. I have been busy saving recipes into Paprika as my IPad is never far from my side.. I think the TMX will replace the IPad for the spot of top gadget!!

I am still finding it hard to save things that I want to come back to on the forum as I am busy trying to find some quite simple recipes to start with.

I have the day off work when my TMX arrives. Would live to hear form other newbies who are either counting down until they get their TMX or have just got it and trying out those first recipes.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 05:21:35 am »
Ive had mine about 2 weeks now- whoa my life has changed :) for the better of course! Ive been making the standards- soups, bikkies, risotto, jam, bread (well my hubby actually did the bread!) truffles, cake, hommus, juices... We've been giving it a workout!

This arvo i am going to purchase some grains to make some 5 seed bread.  Tonight is curry and rice. I cant imagine that I will ever stop getting excited about my TMX and its capabilities. I have reached a point in my life where I am soo ready to eat as wholefoods and healthy as I can and I couldn't be happier about it.

I was the same as you, I read and read heaps but nothing can compare to just getting in there and giving it all a go!

Which recipe books have you been looking through? Which books appeal most as a TMX newbie?

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 11:08:02 am »
Hi
I havnt posted for a while because I am still waiting patiently for my Thermomix to arrive. those of you who read my first post will know that I chose to order just before the consultant went on holiday. As I was very keen to wait for her to do my delivery demo ( I chose not to have an initial demo) I have had a long three weeks wait. 

plenty of time to prepare!!! I have been busy stocking up on pantry essentials including bakers flour, for those of you who live in Perth I get mine from Cash n Carry in Balcatta it's pretty cheap. I also stocked up on whole spices Prime foods the Indian wholesales is good for those and great price.  I got myself a silicon mat from Ikea and a baby bottle brush cleaner and a few spatulas.

I have been looking at you tube videos of cooking and have also picked up a tip that a silicon rolling pin is also good if used with the silicon mat, can't see to find one in the shops I have been in lately 

And of course I have been busy reading the forum and planning what I am going to cook.  I had booked the day off work for my delivery demo and then to play for the rest of the day, but my DD is an apprentice hairdresser so I am now going to get a colour in the afternoon. 

I now only have one week to wait and getting quite excited.  I am hoping I can share my enthusiasm with my husband as so far he thinks the TMX is just an exorbitant priced mixer!!
keen to hear what very first recipes worked well for newbies preferable straight out of the book.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:10 am »
Hi greyhoundmum, I think on my first day I made veg stock concentrate, hommous & choc custard, all from the EDC book. I think beef stroganoff was my first main meal from the book. Have you checked out the reviews of recipes from the EDC? This may help you decide what to try first & it's good to read how others have tweaked recipes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:42:52 am by judydawn »
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:27 am »
Hi Can anyone point me to the ingredients list from the EDC so I canmake sure I have all the ingredients ready for day 1!!

I think definately hommus and veg stock concentrate will be good.