Author Topic: Using EVOO as a butter substitution in baking  (Read 20719 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Using EVOO as a butter substitution in baking
« on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:48 am »
I have just picked this up off the Good Food site (I am posting it here so that I don't lose it) - question and answer:

I want to eliminate dairy from my diet but I still want to bake cakes. Is there any one rule for substituting butter for olive oil?

Did you know that vegans love olive oil because the trees are wind-pollinated and do not require bees? I was speaking to Rita Bikins from Red Rock Olives in Pomonal in Victoria. She has done a lot of experimentation and has perfected just about every cake recipe substituting extra virgin olive oil for butter. "I can do everything except scones," she says. Rita suggests beating the eggs until they become creamy and drizzling in the olive oil as if one were making mayonnaise. Then add the sugar, beat until dissolved, then add the other ingredients. From her experience Rita recommends using three-quarters the volume or weight of oil to the amount of butter the recipe calls for. Because butter is around 15 per cent water you may need to add a splash of extra liquid to help hydrate the flour.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using EVOO as a butter substitution in baking
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:23:55 pm »
Interesting Marina, I look forward to hearing how successful your baking is.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:35:12 pm »
Interesting Marina, I look forward to hearing how successful your baking is.
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you Judy! I am interested in the article, but I don't often bake because my oven is useless, I have to turn whatever is in there every 10 minutes, and even then things get burnt.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:58:53 am »
That's interesting. Most Carrot cakes have oil and I have made several other types of cakes that use it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:59:36 am »
If you don’t want to use olive oil as a butter substitute you can use Nuttlex as a direct substitute. I have been cooking dairy free for years now and find Nuttlex a really easy substitute. Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 09:13:36 am »
I generally use Nuttelex as well (I think Cookie does too), I just found this article interesting and think I might veer towards light EVOO for some of my baking as I am never quite comfortable with the margarines (not that that has stopped me from using it, mind you!).  I did make some delicious cookies using coconut oil last weekend but I think the taste might be too much for lighter baking.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 03:46:41 am »
We need to think about the cholesterol in things as well as my diabetes. I use EVOO for almost everything. I use rice bran oil for stir fries as I hate the oil spitting at me and this seems better, although I only use a small amount.
We use pro active on our bread.  It's hard as all oils and margarines are still a fat!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/