Author Topic: A belated “Hello”  (Read 4814 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
A belated “Hello”
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:55:29 am »
After months of lurking in the shadows, I have finally summoned the courage to register. (This is the first forum I’ve joined so please bear with me!) I have had my thermie since December and I love it! And, may I add, this forum is GOLD! It is always my first “go to” for information and inspiration.

Since day one, I have used recipes from this forum to feed the family—DH and 3 very hungry teenagers. We live in the Hills District of Sydney NSW.

My lovely consultant suggested that I make 10 things in the thermie on the first day to get used to it. A friend had told me about this forum, so I had no trouble finding recipes to try. My consultant supervised while I made vegie stock concentrate then left me to spend the rest of the day cooking. Soooo much fun. My thermie has been flat out ever since and my list of recipes to try is growing instead of getting smaller! :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: A belated “Hello”
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:10:00 am »
Hi djinni373

welcome to the forum, I am a real newbie to TM but an oldie when it comes to forums, but there is no better place to learn about topics than on a forum and this is one of the best I have belonged to!

My thermie is on its way so I have no experience to pass on, yet, however I have already learnt so much from the lovely TM devotees here.  Like you I am printing off recipes that I want to try.

Sharon
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »
Hi dijinni, welcome to this forum so pleased that you have joined so many like minded thermie addicts. This is certainly the place to pose any query at all - the forum 'pros' have a wealth of information and knowledge.  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum djinni373.Great to hear that you joined us all here on this wonderful forum. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:44:50 pm »
Hi dijinni373, welcome to the forum.  Your pile of 'to do' recipes will never get smaller, you will continue adding to them so it is a good idea to start some sort of filing system now before it gets too big for you.  I have over 300 recipes I've done from the forum and probably twice as many still waiting to be done not only from the forum but from blogs etc. Then there are the recipe books - we have so many choices these days. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:26:38 pm »
Thank you for the warm welcome. I swear that learning how to use a forum is more difficult than learning how to use the thermie!
Thanks for the tip about organising my recipes JudyDawn. I am also working my way through some of the booklets (like Budget Busters) and waiting for my FSA book.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »
djinni373m, this is a thread of how some of us store our recipes from the forum.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:39:58 pm »
I agree with JudyDawn about organising your recipes from the start. 

After she started the thread about how she stored her recipes I decided I should also attempt to be organised, purchased a ring binder and got started - that was about 8 weeks ago and I am now onto ring binder no. 2 and still adding to it.  I generally download at least 6 recipes a week and just put them randomly into the various sections in my binders in no particular order, but under a couple of headings - Soups; Risottos; Sweet Things; Meals and Savouries; Dips; Entrees, etc., that way I have to go through all the recipes when I am menu planning and often find ones that I had forgotten I had - I call it my "It's a Surprise" system of filing.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:04:04 am »
I keep untried recipes in a binder with sections Cuilidh (my box is for recipes I've done) and last night I decided to go through it as I have some chicken thighs that need to be cooked today.  It is surprising what you find in there and the second one I came across got taken out in a flash.  It sure beats searching the forum for something to cook.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 07:12:45 am »
Welcome to the forum djinni373. I am like everyone else. My pile of 'to make' recipes gets larger and larger and yet I try to make at least 1 new thing a week. It is a wonderful problem to have.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:26 am »
Thank you all for the welcome and the advice.

My recipe binders (already have 2!) with plastic sleeves are now functional but still works in progress.

Every time I come to this forum I learn something new or find a fabulous new recipe to try. I'm so happy to be part of this fabulous forum  :)