Author Topic: Is it possible to buy a bad bag of flour  (Read 15201 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to buy a bad bag of flour
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 09:50:10 pm »
It is interesting that others are having problems with flour.  I have a large bag of the Lauke bread flour and am having problems with bread rising.  I think I may send them an email and see what happens. 

Marie

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 03:39:49 am »
It will be interesting to hear your reply too Emme.  I actually asked them if it were possible to have the incorrect flour in the bag - perhaps I should have asked if they had changed the formula?  I took the second bag back to Coles and got a refund this morning.  Just said I had bought the wrong bag.  I won't make more until I/we hear back from Lauke.  I do have a loaf of Grain Mix (Lauke) in the bread maker at the moment - too disheartened to even try making my own again until I sort this out.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 04:24:46 am »
Deniser, have sent them off an email, and will let you know what they say.  I will be in deep **!! as I have 2X 25kg bags of the organic bread flour to use.  I bought one and then DS bought me another thinking he was helping.  I too am making bread with the mixed grain mix.  If I mix some of the flour with the mix I can get a half decent loaf, but the flour on its own is a disaster.  Anyway, will wait & see what develops, will let you know.

Marie

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 04:27:50 am »
Marie, they should just replace the bags free of charge, something must have gone wrong with the batch. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 04:40:07 am »
Obbie, I am hoping they will do something about it.  I usually buy my flour in bulk and have never had a problem before.  I even threw my sourdough starter out thinking there was a problem with that.  Never thought about the flour.

Marie

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 04:51:52 am »
Oh dear Emme. I thought it was bad enough with two 5kg bags!!. Can you take at least one of them back? Mine is just straight Bakers flour - not organic but obviously something is not right. I too will let you know when I hear back from Lauke.

mcmich

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 06:21:09 am »
Very disappointing isn't it. It's all the other ingredients you add to the flour as well that get wasted and all the time put in.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 06:36:10 am »
Over here the harvest was so bad the flour quality may be affected.
Weetabix have just suspended production of oatibix and minis while they change production methods as the grains were so poor. That has never happened before.

I use a good mill which adds in Canadian wheat to keep quality. If I had a problem I'd be right on the one.
Good luck with it all.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 06:41:45 am »
DJ,  we are very lucky here as we grow all types of wheat.  But it does vary from year to tear.   I ground some grain last week and added it to my bread.  Not good, the chooks got this.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 07:44:24 am »
This does get complicated doesn't it.  I never thought about the quality of the crop - perhaps I thought it was John West when only the best will do (or whatever that Ad was)  Droverjess - where is "over here"?

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 05:06:15 am »
quality of the crop, has alot to do with the results. also the weather, and how long has it been sitting, before processed,  and onto the shelves at supermarkets.

:)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 02:36:45 am »
When I got my TM about 3 years ago I used nothing but Aldi plain flour....it was fine for ages  then I started making rocks instead of bread rolls, I only shop monthly so was not uncommon for me to have 10 x 1kilo packs of plain flour in the cupboard, while I was shopping in Aldi I noticed a man bring some packs of flour in for a return and he had had the same problem...anyway after contacting Aldi they had heaps of complaints and they put it down to a different moisture content in the wheat at harvest. The flour was fine for cookies, cakes etc but no good for bread. I then changed to Wallaby, not so long ago the "Stupidmarket" was out of Wallaby so I got the Lauke bread mix in the 10kilo bag...what  a difference it makes my bread has never been better. I do sometimes also use 10kilo bags from Cosco they are OK too but I do think the bread flour is the best....maybe it is like what happened at aldi and the water content is too much in the flour ?

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 07:33:12 am »
Had a reply to my email requesting more information re batch and use by date and when purchased.  Informing me there are various reasons for bread failing.  Needed to know whether using a breadmaker and if so, what model and whether making bread in oven.  Flour to water ratio also needed.  Nothing mentioned about being a problem with their flour.  Have sent a reply so will wait for more comments from them.

Marie

mcmich

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 07:38:12 am »
Well, it's good that they replied promptly Marie. Hope that the information you have sent them resolves the problem.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 12:11:11 pm »
We've just bought our first Lauke bread mix so I hope it's ok. I usually buy Defiance or Wallaby.  It's to take to Monkey Mia.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/