Author Topic: Toasted Marshmallow Whoopie Pies  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Brooke-MyLittleThermomix

• View Profile
    • My Little Thermomix
Toasted Marshmallow Whoopie Pies
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:19:49 am »
Name of Recipe:  Toasted Marshmallow Whoopie Pies (altered from Food Love's Whoopie Pie recipe book)

Number of People:  Makes 15

Ingredients:

Whoopie Pie:-

*  225g plain flour
*  2tsp baking powder
*  pinch salt
*  115g coconut - shredded or desiccated
*  115g butter
*  150g caster sugar
*  1 large egg
*  100ml milk

Filling:- (courtesy of Recipe Community - http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/node/10675)

*  220g sugar
*  1tbsp gelatine powder or 5 gelatine sheets soaked in cold water until soft
*  250g boiling water
*  1/4 tsp coconut essence

Preparation:

Whoopie Pie:-

*  Preheat oven to 180º.
*  Toast coconut in oven until golden brown.  Allow to cool and then grind in TMX on Speed 7 for 10 seconds until fine.  Set aside.
*  Place butter in TMX and mix on 50º, Speed 4 for 30 seconds.
*  Add all other ingredients, including coconut, and mix for 15 seconds on Speed 5.  Scrape down sides and then mix for a further 20 seconds on Speed 5.
*  Spoon mixture into a piping bag and pipe out 30 rounds. 
*  Bake in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes.  They will rise and be just firm to touch.
*  Cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until completely cool.

Filling:-

*  Insert butterfly, place sugar and gelatine in TMX.  (Make sure all the dry ingredients are below the top of the blades to ensure full coverage with the water.)  Add boiling water and cook for 22 minutes at 100º, speed 1.
*  Remove lid from TMX and dry upper edges of bowl with paper towel.  Allow uncovered liquid to cool to room temperature until it has a very thick syrup consistency and is almost at setting stage.
*  Replace TMX Bowl and lid, but leave MC off.  Whip syrup for 4 minutes at speed 4 until thickened.
*  Add coconut essence and whip to combine.
*  Pour into a jug and place in the fridge to cool - it took almost an hour for it to cool to the consistency I needed for piping.  Every 15 minutes or so I just checked it and gave it a stir.

To Assemble:-

*  Organise the whoopie pies into pairs.
*  Spoon marshmallow into piping bag and pipe onto the base of each pair.
*  Allow to set for a couple of minutes and then gently place the top pie on and sandwich the marshmallow.

Enjoy!

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
Re: Toasted Marshmallow Whoopie Pies
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:32:46 am »
These look so good. They had Whoopie Pies on Masterchef last week and I was wondering what they would be like. Now I get to find out for myself.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:42:01 am »
Yes - I have been hearing about them alot also - Master chef, Donna Hay and now here - must try. Thanks  ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:16:16 am »
They sure do look yum. Lovely on these cool nights.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/