Author Topic: Krishna's Lamington Muffins  (Read 22737 times)

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
Krishna's Lamington Muffins
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:27:01 am »
This is not my recipe, I got it from a Thermomix Australia poster on Facebook.  It's just too good not to share.  I give them 5/5 with the jam in the middle (I injeced mine using a 10ml syringe).

Here's Krishna's recipe-I made them to the recipe except I only had 3 eggs, but it didn't seem to matter.

Lamington Muffins

275g SR flour
300g 200 g caster sugar
100g coconut
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
250 g melted butter
4 eggs
185 mls milk

Blitz Flour, sugar, coconut & baking powder until mixed

Add butter, eggs, milk and whizz till smooth

Spoon into muffin trays in patty pans (makes approx 18)

175 degrees for 15 to 17 mins or until golden

Set aside for 5 minutes

Choc Glaze

100g icing sugar
2 tlbs dark cocoa
2 tlbs milk
2 tlbs how water
2 tlbs melted butter

Combine till smooth

Inject jam into muffins if you desire

Dip muffins into choc glaze and then dip into coconut (shredded coconut looks nice)

Allow to cool on wire rack

members' comments

Rara 1 - Thanks Caroline for posting this recipe. I made these for mums morning tea and these went down a treat. Managed to keep a couple for the kids and they absolutely loved them. I used an ice-cream scoop and made 24.

Caroline J - I made these again but reduced the sugar to 200 g and they were still lovely .

dede - The kids had one each tonight and loved them. They are great to make as they are not half as messy as the traditional way. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

CP - reduced the sugar down to 200g as per CJ suggestion and they are very nice with the coconut in the cake. Made a slit and put about 1/2 tsp jam in (enough to close the slit down neatly). My DD made the icing and it turned out really runny - she swears she stuck to the recipe - but I found it too thin as it would just run off and you could see the cake. Anyone else experience this or do you think DD may have put more liquid in than she cares to admit?

VHJ - I found it was a runny consistency but assumed it was supposed to be like that (like for lamingtons ) so I dipped them in coconut which stuck beautifully. They disappeared of the rack almost as fast as I put them there. I have made a note on my recipe to double the quantity of glaze if I'm going to coat the whole little cake in coconut rather than just the top of the muffin.

CP - it was almost watery, so I think I will halve the water/milk and just add gradually until I get the consistency I want. But the testiment to how nice they were is there is only 3 left.

maddy - These were really lovely....I would call them cupcakes instead of muffins though. I loved the cake texture, very sponge like.  I used shredded coconut and turbo'd couple of times with the flour. The apple corer worked a treat to insert jam centres. I did double the icing sugar, and added extra Tbspn Cocoa. I think next time I would prefer real chocolate ganache for the icing.
This made 28 regular sized cupcakes.....so you may possibly want to halve quantities. These really are such lovely, light & fluffy cupcakes. I'm surprised how long they keep for too.

KerrynN - We used 200g sugar and followed everything else as is. Really delicious and light and they rose really well for dipping. This will be our cupcake recipe for the future! We did make 18 muffin sized ones rather than cupcake sized though. Next we want to try as two square cakes to make traditional lamingtons. For the topping, we had some of the hazelnut choc spread left over from birthday celebration number one, so I warmed it up and added some extra milk and used this for half of them, with desiccated coconut. The other half I used left over strawberry frosting (have family members who don't like chocolate) from celebration number two. As per Maddy's suggestion I used an apple corer to get a hole in to add the jam, and this worked well for the most part. One "hole" fell on the floor and one fell out into the icing mixture when dipping the cake but we recovered from both these little mishaps. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Aussie Brenda - they are yummy, already eaten 4 .  Made Maddy's ganache very nice.

JD - lovely, such a light cake recipe and anything maddy praises has to be good.  I also made maddy's ganache - 1/2 quantity covered 16 full sized muffins for me as I don't like it too thick.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:33:20 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Krishna's Lamington Muffins
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:48:06 am »
These sound rather nice CarolineJ.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:18:29 am »
They are amazing.  I had to send them to DH's work so I wouldn't eat them all  :o

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:07 am »
How do they go with no cut edges caroline?

I know when I make Lamingtons, the uncut sides don't soak in like the cut ones. Or am I being pedantic? :D

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:01:36 am »
It soaked in marvellously.  I will have to load the patty pans more next time so I can just dip them in the chocolate- mine weren't high enough so I had to spoon the chocolate on top.  It soaked in before I could smear it around!  Tasted AMAZING though.  Make them ;)

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:21:37 am »
 :D I'm going to have to after the rave review!

Coconut gives me reflux while I'm pregnant, but I'm willing to forgo it for a a lovely lamington  :D

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »
These sound delicious
Thanks for the recipe Caroline

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:21:35 am »

Mmmm. Will make these for bowls afternoon tea next weekend. Thank you for posting it here!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:25 am »
Thanks Caroline for posting this recipe.
I made these for mums morning tea and these went down a treat.
Managed to keep a couple for the kids and they absolutely loved them.
I used an iceream scoop and made 24.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57/rara6014/photo-80.jpg?t=1300437934

Thank you  :-*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:48:47 am by Rara1 »

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 11:29:45 am »
Mmmmm!  I have wanted to make these again, but I ate so many last time, I am scared to tempt myself  :-X

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 09:35:32 am »
I made these today ready for school and work. The kids had one each tonight and loved them. They are great to make as they are not half as messy as the traditional way. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 12:06:37 pm »
I made these again today, but reduced the sugar to 200g, and they were still lovely :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 03:38:52 am »
Made these last night, and reduced the sugar down to 200g as per CJ suggestion and they are very nice with the coconut in the cake. Made a slit and put about 1/2 tsp jam in (enough to close the slit down neatly). My DD made the icing, and it turned out really runny - she swears she stuck to the recipe - but I found it too thin as it would just run off and you could see the cake. Anyone else experience this or do you think DD may have put more liquid in than she cares to admit?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:02:16 am »
My DD made the icing, and it turned out really runny - she swears she stuck to the recipe - but I found it too thin as it would just run off and you could see the cake.

I found it was a runny consistency but assumed it was supposed to be like that (like for lamingtons ) so I dipped them in coconut which stuck beautifully. They disappeared of the rack almost as fast as I put them there. I have made a note on my recipe to double the quantity of glaze if I'm going to coat the whole little cake in coconut rather than just the top of the muffin.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:58:45 am »
it was almost watery, so I think I will halve the water/milk and just add gradually until I get the consistency I want. But the testiment to how nice they were is there is only 3 left  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand