Author Topic: Quinces  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Quinces
« on: March 28, 2015, 06:13:29 am »
Much to my amazement, the birds have left our quinces alone for the first time, so my question is, how can you tell when they are ready for picking?  Can you pick them early and leave them to ripen?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quinces
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 06:14:39 am »
I wouldn't have a clue Marina. But I do know they taste delicious. Sorry I can't help.  :)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:37:20 am »
I have no idea either but I found this on the internet Marina.

Determining Ripeness

Color provides the best guide for determining ripeness. A fully ripe quince turns completely yellow at maturity. The fruit also develops a strong sweet fragrance once it's fully ripe. The fruit also easily snaps off the tree once mature, so if the fruit begin to fall on their own, they are ripe and possibly approaching over-ripeness. Although quinces can continue to ripen after they are picked, they develop the best flavor when allowed to fully mature on the tree.

Harvest

Mature quince fruits snap easily from the tree. If you have to tug on the fruit to remove it from the tree, it isn't quite ripe. To harvest, lift the fruit slightly and twist gently until the stem snaps free. If you must harvest before full maturity, such as before a major frost, cut the stems to remove the fruit so you don't damage the tree or the quince.

Storage

Although a ripe quince may still feel hard at harvest, the fruits begin to soften during storage and they can bruise easily. Store quince in a single layer in a shallow container and avoid placing any weight on them that could damage the fruits. Store the fruits in a cool, dark place, such as in an unheated basement or cool pantry, for up to a month. Inspect the fruits regularly and use or discard any that develop bruises, wrinkling or other signs of damage.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:34:00 pm »
Thanks, I knew I would get some sensible advice on here!  They are not yet yellow or fragrant and I am thinking I might just net them to give them protection until such time as they see fit to turn yellow and fragrant ... then I will have to think about quince recipes!  I think there are some on here, so I will have a hunt around.

Offline tinman221

• View Profile
Quinces
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:36:22 pm »
Don't store them all. Put at least one in a fruit bowl and leave it. It will scent the whole room wonderfully.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:22:19 pm »
Thanks for that suggestion Tinman221, I never knew that.  It has definitely gone on my list of what to do with quinces!