Author Topic: Grand Final Day  (Read 3943 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Grand Final Day
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:16:02 pm »
Toying with the idea of inviting a few peeps over on Grand Final Day. Anyone doing the same? Ok, what's the plan as I'm just toying with ideas ATM? Would love suggestions also from overseas members when they've had a successful gathering.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Grand Final Day
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:47:21 pm »
I love to go shopping or getting out and about on grand final day as there is no one else on the streets!  Talk about shopping without crowds, it's a breeze.  We live close to the MCG so can hear the crowd from home.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »
Marina, I always used to go shopping on grand final day in Melbourne, it's so quiet. This year we'll be driving back from Merimbula so I guess I'll be trapped in the car while DH listens to it on the radio  :-[

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:28:28 am »
Marina, I always used to go shopping on grand final day in Melbourne, it's so quiet. This year we'll be driving back from Merimbula so I guess I'll be trapped in the car while DH listens to it on the radio  :-[
Grab your headphones and some good music and tune the footy out!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »
No West Aussie teams in it this year but I will still be keeping an eye on it. I hope Judy's team gets in. I have very little interest in the Melbourne Cup but enjoy Grand Final Day.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:37:29 am »
Won't be in our own home for GF this year, so I'm off the hook!  But I would be going for stuff prepared during the week and heated on the day (sausage rolls, caramelized onion tarts etc) or maybe pulled pork rolls. Desserts you already nail! - maybe Swedish icecream cake, the good old pav, brownies.  Have fun!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:22:58 am »
Back in 1998 I had a Melbourne Cup luncheon here for some neighbours CP. Just found my book which has the foods I served.
Prawns, beef, ham, tossed salad, herbed egg rolls (??) mushroom cases, potato skins & avocado dip, chicken parmesan fingers with sweet/sour sauce, mocca mousse slice, pineapple filled with fruit and a cheese platter. That was pre-Thermie of course.

I think the herbed egg rolls might have been rolling pin flattened, crustless bread filled with the egg mixture, rolled and cut into pinwheel slices. Mushroom cases may have been vol-au-vents.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:11:42 am »
We usually do something but this year it will be small. It seems with geelong not participating, no one down hear wants to watch the grand final this year (plus they hate hawthorn). This is Maddy's photo from a while back and I really want to do something similar this year.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 02:28:22 pm »
Doesn't that food look so lovely?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:26 pm »
No West Aussie teams in it this year but I will still be keeping an eye on it. I hope Judy's team gets in. I have very little interest in the Melbourne Cup but enjoy Grand Final Day.
Unfortunately Judy's team didn't get in ... my fingers were crossed that they would because that would mean she would come over here for the game and we could possibly have found time to get together for a catch up  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 01:44:20 am »
Yes, not to be though unfortunately Marina.  I don't know if I would have come over, they're hard to organise and with Hobart on the agenda next month a little too close for 2 trips.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.