Author Topic: Pancakes vegan  (Read 15628 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Pancakes vegan
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:08:27 pm »

From my DDIL RADHA

It's Nigella Lawsons recipe from her book domestic goddess. Here is the recipe:

225 g plain flour
1 Tbs baking powder
Pinch salt
1 tsp sugar
3 Tbs yoghurt
30 g butter melted and cooled
300 ml milk
Butter for frying

Whizz it all in TMX and away you go, actually it is good to let rest for 20 mins.
Note from Nigella : " when you cook pancakes, all you need to remember is that when the upper side is blistering and bubbling its time to cook the second side, and this needs only about 1 minute.
🚩I like to add vanilla if they are sweet ones.

Gert
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:10:15 pm by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
Re: Pancakes vegan
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:35:08 pm »
These have butter, milk and yogurt so aren't vegan.
Does Nigella suggest how to make them vegan?
Looks like a nice recipe anyway.
Thanks Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:44:00 am »
Apparently there are vegans and vegans. My DS  and family are Hari Krishnas live in India and follow the Hindu vegan way so I have no idea what a true 'vegan ' is . Hindus do eat milk products. I do know that. Milk is a product of a cow but not part of a cow so is acceptable to millions of Indian vegans.

Someone please explain . Ask Nigella I say. I have not much interest really. I only posted this recipe because. I was asked. There are many more qualified  to answer questions about veganism.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 06:23:04 am »
Vegans don't eat any animal products at all, even honey.  Someone who eats no meat but still eats milk products would be called a vegetarian. That's my understanding at least!

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 07:03:52 am »
In Saturdays west there's an article on The Two Fat Ladies, mainly Clarissa Dickson Wright, which is hilarious. Her parents didn't know what to call her so she got a name as long as your arm, they got shickered on the way to church to have her christened and couldn't pick one name, so ended up with 11!!

Anyway she said that suet and booze was the way to go and "manky little vegetarians" were not her style.

Made me laugh!

(she might have the answer to your vego/vegan question Gert, although it will not be PC - it'd be funny!!)  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:39:48 am »
Vegans don't eat any animal products at all, even honey.  Someone who eats no meat but still eats milk products would be called a vegetarian. That's my understanding at least!

Vegans don't eat eggs, or fish either but  I know vegetarians that eat those things . I never heard of the honey thing. A bee isn't an animal. I guess vegans would not eat any cheese products  either then. Though paneer is a big part of my son's life and my DIL makes cheese.they say they are vegans but perhaps not?

So just what does a vegan eat?  It is all very confusing this labelling people by what they eat.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 09:52:54 am »
In Saturdays west there's an article on The Two Fat Ladies, mainly Clarissa Dickson Wright, which is hilarious. Her parents didn't know what to call her so she got a name as long as your arm, they got shickered on the way to church to have her christened and couldn't pick one name, so ended up with 11!!

Anyway she said that suet and booze was the way to go and "manky little vegetarians" were not her style.

Made me laugh!

(she might have the answer to your vego/vegan question Gert, although it will not be PC - it'd be funny!!)  ;D

I love those gals. I have met them both and had quite a long correspondence with   Jennifer  Paterson some years ago. She used to have a column in the Spectator Magazing and once had a recipe for  sweetbreads. It took 3 days to make and I was sure she had left one element out of the  recipe. We had a hilarious exchange. When I finally finished the recipe it tasted like,  well let us just say , it was pretty awful. When I told her the same but not in those words I could hear her laughing all the way from England . I said it was a wanker  recipe and she replied that it was indeed  and I got the impression that  it was some inside joke in the mag and she was delighted  with my response saying chefs all over England in fancy restaurants were still trying to perfect it. I was the only one she said who had noticed the deliberate mistake.

When she came to Sydney we met up. She stunk  of cigarette smoke so our conversation was brief.

Very funny, very smart real women. They were full of life.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:37:58 am »
A nice experience for you though Gert.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »
Nikkit I loved the article on CDW in the paper. She had an interesting life. She certainly packed a lot into it, both good and bad. I was surprised to read that she was only 61 though.
 I loved their attitude to life. Throw in all the fat and cream etc. great ladies and not goodie goodies.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 05:44:02 pm »
Vegans don't eat eggs, or fish either but  I know vegetarians that eat those things . I never heard of the honey thing. A bee isn't an animal. I guess vegans would not eat any cheese products  either then. Though paneer is a big part of my son's life and my DIL makes cheese.they say they are vegans but perhaps not?

So just what does a vegan eat?  It is all very confusing this labelling people by what they eat.

Gert
I know, it is confusing! It sounds like your son and DIL are vegetarians not vegans if they eat dairy products. Vegans eat just plants. Vegetables fruits grains legumes seeds nuts etc. No meat dairy eggs fish or no, not even honey (if they are really strict) since bees aren't plants lol.

Of course it's further complicated because some vegetarians do and some don't eat milk or eggs or fish, and there are special names for those people too, but that just makes thugs even more confusing.

Back to the original topic, these pancakes would be vegetarian, not vegan. Although it would actually be kind of interesting making non-vegetarian pancakes. Bacon bits? Fried in lard? :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »
An interesting conversation.  I have been vegetarian for 30+ years ... officially I am an "Ovo-lacto" vegetarian because I also eat eggs and dairy products.  There are some people who eat white meat but still say they are vegetarian because they don't eat red meat - in my opinion they just want to be 'trendy' by labeling themselves vegetarian, similarly those who also eat fish.  Like everything in life, you can make something as confusing or easy as you like!

I actually cook 100% vegan food as DH is lactose intolerant (but he does eat meat and fish ... he calls himself a 'vegetarian by marriage').  I think we must be quite challenging for people to invite around because of what we do and do not eat, but there is a huge range of fabulous food out there and I am picking up more and more ideas and reicpes all the time. 
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:00:11 am »
Oh boy LauraO pancakes with bacon and lard . Talking my tune!!

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 12:05:59 am »
Marina you can come to my house any day. I can figure it out.

I think we gotta stop labelling people by what they eat. I don't give a rat's aspidistra what anyone eats so long as they are good company and bring along bottle of wine!

We get too hung up of food and foodies and we all end up in the same patch in the end.

Life is short. Enjoy it while ya can.it is all about the journey.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 06:40:40 am »
Must agree Gert. The company is the thing. I have a friend who is vegetarian, doesn't eat fats, sugar, garlic etc etc. we manage to feed him. His wife says if you hide the garlic and a few other dislikes he won't know. In fact he has introduced us to some lovely foods.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 06:52:10 am »
Not sure how he can be fooled into not knowing he is not eating garlic Cookie, has he no taste of smell or taste buds ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.