Author Topic: Pumpkin Soup - with skin & seeds included  (Read 24108 times)

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
Pumpkin Soup - with skin & seeds included
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:21:04 am »
Hi,

This is the the first time I've tried making the pumpkin soup from the book and it turned out a bit of a disaster.

I used one small golden nugget pumpkin (weighed about 700gms), removed the core and chopped roughly. The book says not to skin soft skin pumpkins. Had a quick peel, and it felt pretty soft to me! So I didn't peel or remove the seeds.

The issue was that it was very grainy. And by grainy I mean give the mix to the dogs grainy. Tried whizzing longer and higher - no difference.

I'm not sure if the graininess is from the skin or the seeds. They were a good size but not having whizzed whole seeds before I'm not sure what happens.

I have another pumpkin but want to work out where I went wrong before trying.  Ideally I don't want to peel as this is what really turns me off pumpkin soup. Maybe I need to use a different variety of pumpkin. I usually use Jap/Kent but think the skin is pretty tough on them.

Advice???

Thanks,
tony

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Pumpkin Soup - with skin & seeds included
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:01:34 am »
I had the same issue.  I think the seeds are just too hard to grind up to the smooth consistency needed for soup.  I have reverted back to peeling and deseeding.  Not a very helpful reply I'm sorry.  :)

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:12:58 am »
I had a feeling it was the seeds.  But they looked really big and hard.

I suppose my question is really; What types of pumpkin can you not de-seed or peel?

The de-seeding is pretty easy, but given a lot of the flavour comes from the seeds and pulp I'd prefer not to do this.

Removing the skin is a real pain though. Not one of my favourite jobs that's for sure.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:24:47 am »
Hi Tonydav,

When making this I only use Kent or butternut pumpkins. Usually use the skin and seed too (unless they have those hard little 'scars' on the skin). Only once has it been a bit grainy, the rest of the time it's been so smooth and creamy.

I usually purree it on speed 9-10 for at least 1 minute as per the EDC version.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:10:00 am »
Do you mean the seeds have scars?

When it was grainy did you find any reason?

I think I'll get some Kent (we've always called it Jap here - don't really know why they changed the name) and give it a go. I think it has the best flavour as well.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:03:04 am »
Jap  .... J ust Another Pumpkin.   I think.  I use Butternut but I always peel them and add milk or coconut milk.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:17:22 am »
Do you mean the seeds have scars?

No, the skin can sometimes have hard bits like scars I guess - I have no idea what the offical reference is though - LOL

When it was grainy did you find any reason?
I wasn't sure what made it so grainy, it was about 6 months ago or more. I think I put it down at the time to the condition of the skin.  Perhaps the seeds or skin was a little dried out??

I think I'll get some Kent (we've always called it Jap here - don't really know why they changed the name) and give it a go. I think it has the best flavour as well.
We always called them Jap too, figured they changed the name to be more politically correct...  ???

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:15 am »
l used butternut the other day with skin and seeds.  Very smooth.  But tasted a bit watery to me.  will use less stock next time.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:08:49 am »
I made pumpkin soup yesterday - one lot with butternut and other with Kent.  I took the seeds out as I think it takes 5 seconds and took most of the skin off the Kent.

Now, I never follow the EDC recipe - coz I'm bad that way.  I always blitz the pumpkin pieces to grated consistency to speed up cooking and after 10 minutes on 90 degrees I gradually ran the speed up to 9 and left it for 40 seconds and they are both sooooooo smooth.   

It may be that the soup wasn't cooked enough?

Did one lot with fresh ginger and coconut milk and the other with ras el hanout.  Part of a cookathon for the stepson.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:02:25 am »
Yes I'm not going to risk ruining my soup again for the sake of a couple of seconds with a knife removing the seeds.  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 02:38:26 am »
i've found that you definitely need to cook the soup a lot longer than the recipe says
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 10:34:03 am »
Really? I usually add extra veggies in there on top of the weighed ingredients and 20 minutes does it perfectly.  ???

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:32 am »
I made pumpkin soup for the first time tonight.  After reading this, I did remove the seeds, but kept the peel on as it was very thin peel.  I blended the pumpkin completely before cooking, and it cooked perfectly in the suggested time.

I thought the consistency was perfect - very thick and creamy.  However, DH thought it was grainy and chewy.  So maybe there's opinion in this as well?  It all came from the same batch.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07:44 am »
I don't like the EDC pumpkin recipe and prefer to roast my pumpkin before making soup with it.  I usually add 1-2 potatoes too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:56:45 am »
JD, I agree pumpkin soup needs potato.   For a plain soup I add a tin of 'Light and Creamy' evaporated milk.