Author Topic: EDC Beef Stroganoff Review  (Read 62454 times)

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
Re: EDC Beef Stroganoff Review
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 08:35:51 am »
I'm thinking about making this tonight but I don't have any sour cream.  Could I use normal cream?  Or would I be better to omit it altogether?

Thanks in advance...  :)
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 09:03:39 am »
I would use normal cream, but perhaps add a bit less.  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:00 am »
Patsycate, I've made this with sour cream, with yoghurt and without.  Always delicious.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2010, 12:33:45 am »
I always make it with yoghurt these days (let's face it - cheap and healthy).  Always nice.

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 02:18:57 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions but ended up making it a couple of days later by which time I'd procured some sour cream after all!  I did enjoy a couple of the tweaks from this thread though including the worcestershire sauce.

My FIL is a chef and says a true stroganoff never has tomato paste or paprika - apparently this was topical in Masterchef recently although I never watched it - and because he told me that before I made the recipe all I could taste was the tomato paste!   :)
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 01:18:43 am »
I agree with your FIL. Certainly a far cry from my "traditional" Beef Strog. Having said that, I really like it but think of it more as "Beef with Mushrooms".  I always use a lot more (double) mushrooms, onion and beef, and use the TMX to cut the mush pretty small so the kids don't know it's there (about 2 sec on speed 4).  They like it with pasta so the glut of sauce is good.

Last time I made it I had a blade roast that was diced into pieces. Did all the prep and then cooked at 160 in the oven for 2 hours. Really nice again.

Offline janeeknits

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 01:37:19 pm »
just want to report in that I made this tonight and almost followed the recipe except that I used 250g water and 1 tsp massel chicken stock and skipped the wine and also the paprika (because we didn't have any and hubby piped in with it being not an ingredient of strog  :P) and no cayenne with the kidlets.

My reason for the extra bit of water was to steam broccoli on top.  I did 20 mins on varoma temp and then did a further 3 mins on 100 degrees after the broccoli was cooked so I could thicken the sauce with 2 tbsp of cornflour.  I think next time I could probably have done 15 mins at varoma but I was nervous about making sure the broccoli cooked - I have to say I was skeptical at the start when I saw the size of the holes in the lid and still skeptical at the 10 min mark when there was no steam in there....

But the reason for my post was that hubby proclaimed it the best strog ever (and he normally makes a pretty mean if traditional one - ie sans tomato paste & paprika) and my dear Mr 6 ate the entire lot AND licked his plate clean.  First time I've ever seen him do that!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 03:01:53 am »
Good to hear janeeknits.  Yes, the paprika is not traditional  :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:09 am »
I can't believe I have only just got around to making this but using Faffa's tweaks, this is the tastiest thing I have ever cooked in the TMX.  I did half the recipe but 380g fillet steak so there wasn't too much sauce and it still served 3 people.  Thanks for your input Kathryn - the worcestershire sauce really made it (home-made from this forum) and it has now gone to the top of my list for visitors.  An oldie for sure but nothing beats some of these old recipes. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:45:52 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:18 am »
Oh Yum Judy, you've made me want to make this now too! Will put it on the menu for next week.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 08:25:17 am »
Good work JD - it was one of my first. It didn't work at all without tweaks.  Remember being very disappointed, but easy to fix
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2010, 08:51:23 am »
I made this last week as to the recipe (left out mushrooms) it was very nice and everyone loved it. Cooked it and left in fridge and ate reheated the next night. Yum

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2010, 12:53:01 pm »
I tackled this one tonight and made it exactly the same as the recipe except instead of white wine, I used Brandy because that's what I had and my old recipe I used to make used brandy.

Absolutely divine!  We all loved it. So excited there's left overs. They're ALLLL MINE!!!!  ;)

Love, love, love.
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2010, 04:45:37 am »
Good work  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline NickyWA83

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28:38 am »
I made this for the first time a couple of days ago and accidently put 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper thinking it was paprika. I realised what I did straight away and tried to save it but there was no use. The result was super spicy but apart from that it was still delicous (couldn't serve it to the kids :( ) I also didn't have enough sour cream so I used a bit of cream cheese! You couldn't tell - maybe because of all the pepper!

Nicole
(new thermomixer)