Author Topic: Help! My new Thermomix dial will not turn from open  (Read 22841 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Help! My new Thermomix dial will not turn from open
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 07:14:09 pm »
My TMX arrived with only a few inches of the cord and the plug exposed.  I've only retracted it into the machine a few times, when I took it with me to the home of friends.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »
You are all so clever.  I never noticed it either until I unpacked the new one this morning.  I pulled the cord out but of course, now that you mention it, it would probably also go in again!  Learning all the time, as my darling Grandmother says.

xxx

;D

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 01:28:32 am »
When I was a consultant we were always instructed to tell Tm owners that the scales work best with the cord fully extended.  I think it acts the same as when something is touching the Tm and this interferes with it's reading.  The lid not turning from open to 'on' usually happens when the lid isn't clicked into place all the way.  Sometimes new TM's are a little stiff in the lid and you need to give iit an extra nudge to get the Tm to work - it's a safety mechanism.  Sometimes this can be faulty, but mostly it just needs that extra gentle persuasion.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 02:28:57 am »
I had no idea of the cord going back into the machine, I assume my consultant extracted it upon delivery and I've never heard of checking the scales by weighing the measuring cup either - a great idea.

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:17 am »
Just thinking my dial is never open, usually closed as I am cooking all the jolly time.  The dial on my thermomix, naturally.  The smile on my dial is always open because I am either talking or smiling

Xxx

;D

Offline southpaw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:03 am »
I had my Varoma demo recently (so that I could take advantage of the 1/2 price bowl offer) and my consultant got frustrated that she had to fiddle with the lid to get the dial to turn.  She said there is a well known fault with lids that have the Number 2 on them and that they should be replaced if there is a problem....... I wish I knew it wasn't normal to have to keep 'adjusting' the position of the lid before now!  But on the up side, hopefully the new lid will arrive soon!
Sharon from Miners Rest, Victoria

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:47 am »
no # 2 on mine  :)that's weird that she told you, but good ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 05:09:22 pm »
My lid has  a <PPGF20>  with a "2" under it - under the rim at the front where the "lever" is sited.

Having to adjust the lid two or three times is not a fatal flaw so I will live with it.  I don't see any reason to buy a second lid for something that is just a bit inconvenient.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »
I am surprised your consultants didn't tell you about measuring the mc and leaving the cord out? It is part of my spiel lol
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 02:21:20 am »
That must be the No. 2 they were talking about andie - mine both have the same numbers and letters as yours but no No. 2 beneath it.  Maybe you don't have to buy another lid, maybe Vorwerk replace it for free if it has the No. 2 ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 02:34:11 am »
I am surprised your consultants didn't tell you about measuring the mc and leaving the cord out? It is part of my spiel lol

Mine too!! I also weigh the MC and write it just inside the EDC cover for a reference  :)

Cord should be out for many reasons, including upsetting the scales but also if it is inside the TM electrical cords can get hot and become a fire hazard  - same reason as cords that come with the warning about being unwound or fully extended before use.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 03:15:41 am »
I'm off to see if I have a number 2 on mine. Yep it does. No big deal I don't mind a little push here and there.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 08:19:11 pm »
always have the cord out but have to admit was not told about measuring the mC as reference..they dont tell us that here  ??? and as for the lid im sure without looking that mine has no 2 on it as im often having to give it that extra push and i had enough trouble getting it replaced when it was broken so doubt they will replace it just because it doesnt click in easy!

will have to ask my consultant if they even do that here..never heard it at any demo!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 08:38:03 pm »
I just back-tracked through this thread and the discussion of lids not locking into place reminded me of my emergency last week.  I put my lid on, turned it to lock it in position and it bounced out again.  I did that a couple of times and eventually it locked into place - I was starting to panic, but persevered.

I turned TMX on and it started leaking everywhere out of the lid.  By this time I was just about in a fully fledged panic.  I took the lid off and found where I had gone wrong - I hadn't put the rubber ring in place!  WHAT A RELIEF.  I was lucky, nothing wa so wrong that it wasn't immediately attended to and, fortunately, not a lot of mess to clean up.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 10:09:54 pm »
I just back-tracked through this thread and the discussion of lids not locking into place reminded me of my emergency last week.  I put my lid on, turned it to lock it in position and it bounced out again.  I did that a couple of times and eventually it locked into place - I was starting to panic, but persevered.

I turned TMX on and it started leaking everywhere out of the lid.  By this time I was just about in a fully fledged panic.  I took the lid off and found where I had gone wrong - I hadn't put the rubber ring in place!  WHAT A RELIEF.  I was lucky, nothing wa so wrong that it wasn't immediately attended to and, fortunately, not a lot of mess to clean up.

I did that often when I first got min.  Sometimes it would seem to be locked in place but one section was still not secure.  I learned quickly!