Author Topic: Spelt Flour- white or wholemeal?  (Read 4992 times)

Offline babyw

• View Profile
Spelt Flour- white or wholemeal?
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:22:01 am »
Hi,  this is not really just a cake question, but also biscuits, bread and anything that needs flour.

I have recently started using spelt flour instead of wheat plain flour and self-raising. 

I have just ordered my next bags of spelt flour and noticed that they also have wholemeal spelt flour.  I still ordered the white because I do use spelt grain at times, but was wondering if the wholemeal spelt flour is different or gives a different texture?

thanks/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Spelt Flour- white or wholemeal?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:22:31 am »
I have some wholemeal spelt flour and use it for bread sometimes. I can't really help you with your question though. The texture of it is just like any wholemeal flour.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline babyw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:50:13 am »
Thanks for your reply.  Yes I thought it might just be like using wholemeal flour.  I think i'll give it a go next time, or even use 1/2 and 1/2.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:01:55 am »
I have always opted for the white since Quirkycooking (Jo) told me it goes rancid quickly when it has the wholemeal in it and it is better to whizz the whole grains to flour (fresh) then add to your white flour to make it wholemeal as you go - if you get my drift.  ??? But it does last longer if you have room in your freezer.  ;)

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:28:51 am »
I have used both grain and premilled wholemeal spelt.  The texture is similiar and the only reason I bought premilled was to save time.  I can now get organic spelt flour in 750gm bags from the supermarket for $5.95? or thereabouts.   The other day I accidentaly made a lemonn drizzle cake with all wholemeal and it was declared delicous by our guests.  It is a super moist cake so maybe that's why it turned out ok.