Author Topic: Nutty Milk Soup  (Read 7247 times)

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
Nutty Milk Soup
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:00:39 am »
Name of Recipe: Nutty Milk Soup
Number of People: 6
Ingredients:
115 g. [4 oz. (1 c.)] unsalted raw peanuts without skins
75 g. [½ C. ] sesame seed (75 g)

4 MC water (400 mL)

960 mL [4 C.] water
145 g. [¾ C.] sugar

3 T. cornstarch
3 T. water
120 mL [½ C.] evaporated milk  (120 mL)

Preparation:
Roast the peanuts and sesame seeds in the Thermomix for 12-18 minutes at Varoma on speed 1. (I keep nuts in my freezer, so it takes me around 20 minutes to roast cashew pieces).
Add 4 MC of water. Process at speed 7, 40 seconds. (Use the first 5 seconds to go from speed 5 to 7 and the last 5 to go from speed 7 back to speed 5).
Add 4 C. (960 mL) water and 145 g sugar. (the level in the thermomix bowl should be around the 1½ liter mark) Cook 9 minutes, 100°C, speed 3. Dissolve the 3 Tbs. corn starch in the 3 Tbs. water. Program Thermomix to cook 1:30 minutes, 100°C, speed 3. While it is running, pour in the cornstarch mix.
Pour in evaporated milk and stir 30 seconds, speed 2.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
You can substitute cashews or almonds for the peanuts. You can use coconut milk to make this dairy free.

This recipe is gluten-free.

In China, sweetened soups are often served for dessert and usually have a medicinal purpose. I use whole sesame seeds (they are not as white as the decorticated kind) because they are higher in magnesium and calcium. Sesame contains a large amount of antioxidants, phytoestrogens, and phytosterols.

The original recipe is from the Wei-Chuan cooking school.

My first Thermomix conversion!!! :D

Aunt Annie

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Nutty Milk Soup
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:15:19 am »
mmmmmm!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:19:46 am »
Thanks.  Good work with converting to metric and to Thermomlanguage.   ;D

I recall having a similar soup served at a local cooking class with Chinese dishes.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:04:31 pm »
There is a version that is all sesame and one that is made from black sesame seeds as well. Most people in the US shy away from the black sesame one, but it is delicious. In the US you have to go to an Asian food store to get the black sesame, but it is delicious.

I keep the total weight (nuts + sesame) about the same but just use all sesame. You might be able to start with roasted tahini and it would be quicker, but I have not tried this.

My hubby was so happy! He ae 2 HUGE bowls. I think he was very glad he bought me a Thermomix. :-))
Aunt Annie

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:26:21 am »

.... You might be able to start with roasted tahini and it would be quicker, but I have not tried this.

With the Thermomix I think that it wouldn't make that much difference to time, but the freshly roasted seeds (even if you did them in a pan before adding to TMX) are so much better.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:41:47 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 02:42:04 am »
And probably a lot healthier, too. And the smell of roasting sesame wafting around is not to be discounted, either.
Aunt Annie