Author Topic: Bonjour from Montreal, Canada  (Read 18253 times)

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
Re: Bonjour from Montreal, Canada
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 05:16:24 pm »
Interesting reading MrSpock but how does one eat slower ??? I like my food piping hot and unlike DH who takes an hour to eat his meal, I have finished in less than 10 minutes at the most.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to that one, since I can't eat very hot food at all! I believe it's beneficial to eat food as little cooked as possible to keep all the nutrients intact. The precious Omega 3s for example are destroyed by cooking. Very hot food also disturbs your digestive enzymes, as does very cold food. If you really dislike eating warm food, maybe a good compromise would be to eat more of the food that doesn't nead cooking, like salads?

I have decided to be comfortable in my body and enjoy my time on this earth whilst I am here ;D ;D  I think genes also play a big role in our shape so I can blame Mum for that one. Having said that, I am only a size 12-14 so don't feel it is a problem even though I would prefer to be a size 10-12.
I totally agree that being comfortable in your body is the key. Those one size fits all "healthy weight" rules might apply to Hollywood stars who have time and money to train with a personal trainer 4 hours a day because they have a nanny taking care of the kids and a cook preparing them healthy meals, but for the regular folks like us, it's not as simple... And don't get me started on the anorexic supermodels who we are supposed to emulate  >:( >:( >:(
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 06:01:11 pm »
Belated hello MrSpock! 

Hello UnConundrum! I've been reading a few of your older threads and I must say that you are my new hero! My husband and I love to host big garden parties for 50+ people, but we usually stick to quick to make hamburgers and hot dogs. You've set the bar quite higher for your BBQs I must admit!! e have much to learn  :D :D :D

I'm a frequent visitor to Montreal and absolutely love the restaurants there.  You do know you have a cooking shop in Montreal that offers ThermoMix demos and I guess sell the units?  I believe they're holding ThermoMix cooking classes too.  They're on St. Laurent, on the downtown side of Little Italy; I can't remember the name.

Yes, we do live in the culinary mecca of America, although I must admit I'm not much of the eating out type. I know the place you're talking about, since that's where I bought my Thermomix! It's called La guilde culinaire. As far as I know they haven't had any Thermomix cooking classes. They do free demonstrations about once a month, but that's all. I'm on their mailing list so I'll be the first in line if they ever decide to hold classes, but I'm not sure the demand is very high unfortunately. We were only 3 people at the last demo and I was the only one to get the machine.

Offline Home cook

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 03:04:26 am »
Hi

Maybe you would prefer the Australian version of the Thermomix cookbook?  There are lots of healthy recipes in that book.

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 03:19:04 am »
Hi

Maybe you would prefer the Australian version of the Thermomix cookbook?  There are lots of healthy recipes in that book.

Yes, that's what I'm finding out. I'm not too excited about paying an extra $40 for a new cookbook though; not until my Thermomix is paid off on my credit card anyways!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 03:23:18 am »
the original australian cookbook is not that well written though, even if the recipes are nice ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 01:11:11 am »
There will be an updated and improved edition of the Everyday cookbook at some stage - I'd wait for that.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 02:30:29 am »
Just dropping by to say hi, and no I didn't drop off the Innernet. Summer is finally in full swing here, and we're enjoying the few sunny days we have by going outside as much as possible.

I am however facing an existential crisis with my Thermomix, and find myself using it less and less. My problem is that DH doesn't like much of anything that is not junk food or a plain piece of meat.  :( He will not eat anything with spices or herbs, nor most vegetables. So when I make a meal, I can either make something new in my Thermomix, and make him something else, or I can just cook him something he likes and make a quick salad for myself. Most of the time I don't have the energy to make two complete meals (with double the dishes to wash), no matter how easy it is to cook with the TMX. He does love the breads and desserts made in the Thermomix, but I'm overweight enough as it is, so I've slowed down on those too. Oh well. It might be easier when fall comes around, which will be soon enough I'm sure...

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:43:52 am »
Oh dear MrSpock, you do have a problem.  So many men just love their piece of meat which is not covered in sauce and vegies. Chicken fillets are lovely done in the varoma like a parmigana type thing - would he eat that?  I mainly want to use my TMX for main meals, soups, drinks and easy desserts but there are more recipes out there for cakes, biscuits etc than anything else.  We are gradually building up a lovely selection of mains though - thanks to all our members - so I am a lot happier now than I was in the early days of TMX'ing.  I actually cooked DH a T-bone on the BBQ last night for tea with some leftover mashed potato and a couple of fried eggs as I had been out for lunch with my carers' group of women - all that was left on his plate was the bone!!! He never complains he doesn't get enough of this type of meal though and he is in the mindset these days that everytime I serve him up a meal he asks me if we are reviewing this recipe for the forum ;D ;D ;D Bless him, he never used to comment on what I did before TMX but now gives his opinion of every meal presented to him.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 03:21:08 am »
You're lucky Judy. All I get is "it's ok" when I try something new, which means he doesn't like it. The biggest problem is that he hates most of the ingredients that I love, like mushroom, onions,tomatoes... He doesn't care much for garlic either, although he will tolerate it, thankfully.

And the thing with meat, at least in the summer, is that it's much easier to just slap it on the BBQ. It means he does the cooking most of the time, and less dishes to wash afterwards. So I'm left with plain white rice or Lipton Sidekicks to do in the Thermomix, and that's not very inspiring. Anyways, thanks for listening to my whining  :-*

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 03:56:05 am »
That's what we are here for MrSpock - supporting each other through our trials and tribulations.  You have me intrigued - what is a Lipton Sidekick ??? ???

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 05:40:44 am »
i'm imagining something like a long island iced tea ???

what about using it for the salads and side dishes?

Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 07:56:59 am »
I feel like Chicken tonight or there abouts  - Liptons Sidekicks
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 08:45:42 am »
I feel like Chicken tonight or there abouts  - Liptons Sidekicks
Thanks Thermomixer - have never heard that word before.  Oh you are so clever ;) ;)  I would have said a drink of some description. ;D ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 01:10:13 pm »
... everytime I serve him up a meal he asks me if we are reviewing this recipe for the forum ;D ;D ;D Bless him, he never used to comment on what I did before TMX but now gives his opinion of every meal presented to him.

Glad to hear that he is taking an interest JD and feels like he's contibuting to the forum  ;) ;D

MrSpock - I wish you had some great answer for you.  My only suggestion is to persist. Are there any of his meals that you could convert to the TMX? Just to get him used to it, and then gradually introduce more healthier options slowly?  Junk food can be quiet addictive so it's hard to break into something healthier.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 10:23:38 pm »
Hey, c'mon.  We can do junk food in the TM too !!!!

Throw some of his favorite meals at us.  Maybe we can come up with some recipes he'd like ;)