Author Topic: Bee- Sting  (Read 19096 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Bee- Sting
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:26 am »
This is my Easter gift to Forum members.
If you like honey, you will love these .  I have adapted the recipe to the TMX from Annie Smither's new fab. book, "Annie's Garden to Table".
A few points before you start.
You need 1 dozen eggs,  but then it makes a lot.
Make the custard the day before you need it.  Cook the buns in large muffin tins to contain the spread of the dough.
Make 18 buns as they are very luxurious.
Use plain (all purpose ) flour NOT bread flour.

To TMX add

500g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 generous teaspoon of dried yeast
40g sugar
6 egg yolks
250 ml. warm milk

Knead for 4 mins.

Add 150g unsalted butter,  cubed,  knead for 3 mins.
Leave in the bowl, place in a warm spot, and let double

While the dough is prooving, make custard,  if you haven't made it the previous day.

Into TMX bowl place,
480ml. milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla paste or pure essence
6 egg yolks
100 g. caster sugar.
90g. honey
50g cornflour
Zap to blend,  the cook 7 mins/,90/speed 4.
Set aside in container and cover with plastic directly onto surface to prevent a skin forming.
Cool and then refrigerate

Set oven to 210 or 190 o C FF.  Place dish with water on floor of oven.

When dough has doubled, tip on to silmat and knead lightly and form into 18 small balls.
Place these balls into oiled large muffin tins.  you may use muffin cases.
Set aside in warm place to nearly double.

Brush with warmed honey, (115g)  and sprinkle with flaked almonds,( 40g).
Bake for 15 mins , turning tray around 1/2 way through.

Cool on wire rack, and fill with custard .

To fill buns,  place custard in piping bag with a metal nozzle.  Squeeze as much custard as possible into the side of the bun.
Dust with icing sugar.

members' comments

JulieO - had trouble with the consistency of the custard, too runny so added more cornflour but then it was too thick. The problem was that I lost some of the custard with fiddling around with it too much and found there wasn't enough to give a good coating so we found them a little dry, would have been fine with more custard.  This is totally my fault, I really need to make them again I think.  Also I would just cook and thicken the custard in a saucepan, it wouldn't take long and I could stop when thick enough IYKWIM.

Ellyash - I made these today, they were lovely. My custard was runny too, just thickening it now.
Thanks for sharing.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:48:23 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bee- Sting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:05:39 am »

Chookie what a star you are - that looks absolutely amazing and although I should not be eating cakes, I am going to have to succumb to this recipe.  How would they freeze with the custard filling - 18 would be far too many for this household.  Actually having thought about that for 1 second, they could be frozen and filled later  :-))  I wish I could pop in for afternoon tea and help you eat a couple, thanks so much for your efforts for this forum.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:27:19 am »
Chookie, you are a star!  I will be attempting to make these, maybe do a half amount first off.  Judy maybe you could do the same?

A few years ago I made a bee sting slab which looked fantastic just like the ones you buy in shops but it was oh so dry and not as nice as it looked.  :-\

I hope mine looks as good as yours Chookie.  Thanks so much for posting this.  :-*   :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:51:01 am »
Julie and Judy,  certainly not dry. DH wanted one for lunch,  custard had not set up,  so I cut 2 in half and scooped some custard into them.  We had to eat them with a knife and fork. When the buns and custard are cold,  they will be fine.  1/2  mixture is a good idea.  They are very easy to make and the dough very easy to handle.  I think Annie has this one just right,  except for the size.  Let me know how you go.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:09:43 am »
These look divine Chookie.I have never seen this recipe before so it was delightful to read all about it.Do you mean by large muffin tins those "Texas" sized ones? Thank you for the wonderful recipe for Easter. :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:51 am »
Now these look lovely. I can almost taste them now. Going to try these soon. Yum yum
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:17:12 am »
Yes CC,  the large ones.  But you could make them any size you wish.  Just remember that they will double. They are a Brioche dough and a bit like a bath bun.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:41 am »
Oh Chookie, thank you. I think I'll have to shift over and live near you. If I walk all the way I can have some of these. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:18 am »
Oh Chookie, thank you. I think I'll have to shift over and live near you. If I walk all the way I can have some of these. ;)

Cookie,  I know what you mean.  That is why it is a good idea to make them smaller.

We had another each for dinner and I think the custard could be a bit thicker.
I will reduce the milk in the recipe to 480ml. I don't think that the same evaporation happens in the TMX.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:36 am »
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, and to your DH for buying you the book, think I would need to halve the recipe, I love Bee stings,
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:47:36 am »
Thanks Chookie, will try and make them over the weekend.  :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:31 am »
Thanks Chookie, they sound great!!!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:57 am »
Chookie i think u should come to syd and  making them at my place just incase u need to ajust the recpie for us sydneysiders

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »
Chookie, you really are amazing.  This recipe sounds awesome.  One thing I have always wondered about when recipes have milk in them, does it have to be full cream milk? We always have skim milk in the fridge and I only buy full cream milk when I am organized and know I am going to do some baking.  Do you need the fat content in the milk for the recipe to work?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:59:30 pm »
Chookie i think u should come to syd and  making them at my place just incase u need to ajust the recpie for us sydneysiders

Uni,  I think these would be VERY DIFFICULT to make in Sydney.  ;D ;D ;D  I really do need to come and help you make them. ;D

Kezza,  You could use skim milk,  although I bought full cream today,  just for these.   I think the custard probably needs the full cream.