Author Topic: Timing  (Read 6141 times)

Offline Teallele

• View Profile
Timing
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:07:33 am »
Hi everyone.,
I've only had my thermomix for a week and this is a very basic question. When I'm making a recipe from the book that calls for a certain time at a certain temp - i.e for rice 14 mins on varoma temp- do I start counting the time from when it actually reaches the temp or just when I start from cold. It takes several mins for water to get up to temp so it makes quite a difference.
I'm guessing that's it's from when it reaches temp but I'd appreciate clarification.

Thanks

Sue

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Timing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:11:30 am »
Hi Sue, just do it as per instructions - time has been allowed for it to reach cooking temperature.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 05:20:27 am »
recipes will include warm up time :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:21:28 pm »
When converting a recipe for the TM, is the stovetop time the same as the TM time? eg. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes or another eg. bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:17 pm »
I usually saute the same time (or a bit longer but never less) and I just go with my gut feeling with the final cooking time.  Checking after a certain time to see how the meat is going or if the vegies are cooked.  Each recipe is different but you will get a feel for it - just keep checking and adding more time if needed.  Sorry that probably isn't much of a help and I hope you have success at whatever it is you are thinking of converting. I've had a couple of disasters but tons more successes so it is just a matter of keeping at it. Some things are just impossible to cook in the TMX.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:54:13 am »
When converting a recipe for the TM, is the stovetop time the same as the TM time? eg. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes or another eg. bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes?

Usually it is going to be longer as there is warm up time.  So especially for larger quantities you will need to work out how long it tajes to get to temperature and then the cooking time.  Most important with steaming, as it generally will take 5-8 minutes to get to Varoma temp with 7-800ml water, so if it said steam for 10 minutes in a regular recipe, then it won't even start cooking in that time in the Varoma.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:22:46 am »
I think as we become more familiar with our machines these sort of things are easy to accept. I now put in a time and check, it is easy to add more. The TMX really is a new type of cooking. Keeps all my 'old' brain cells thinking. Unless I do something dumb like forgetting to put a temperature in for cooking. Come back in 10 minutes and wonder why it's not even warm.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/