Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7862328 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #39450 on: November 23, 2020, 10:02:27 pm »
Oh, Chookie, you will really miss your wonderful gardener - and I am equally as sure that she will miss the two of you.

CC good news re. lockdown, I hope everything goes well - keep wearing face masks when out and about and wash with soap and water - our industrial chemist friend was in on Saturday and said that soap and water will kill the virus and alcohol wipes containing c. 73% alcohol is almost as effective as soap and water.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39451 on: November 23, 2020, 10:46:26 pm »
Oh what a shame Chookie, you had a great relationship with your gardener and her children, I’m sure they will miss you as much as you will miss them.  Hopefully you will be able to find a good replacement for her.

Denise that is great news, so happy that you will be able to have a family Christmas.  If everyone does the right thing maybe you will get through it successfully.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:48:54 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39452 on: November 24, 2020, 05:41:15 am »
Wonderful news for you all Denise. Hopefully lockdown 3 won’t be required.
Chookie, I agree with everyone else, you will miss your gardener. You will have to train a new one. 😀
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #39453 on: November 24, 2020, 07:56:46 pm »
Our lovely gardener and us are finding it hard to make the break. She has invited us to her home for Avo tea next Tuesday. I would like to make her a nice Xmas cake.  She is spending Xmas with her family for the first time in many years.  I thought she might like to contribute it to the family lunch.  She is in the middle of shifting, she is not expected to contribute.
Help needed please.  Has anyone got a good recipe , made now but good in a months time.
Warmer today.
Follow up on hearing aids. All good.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #39454 on: November 24, 2020, 09:07:46 pm »
Good news that all is good with the hearing aids - have you broken the news to Ral yet that you can 'tune him out'?

Coincidentally, this recipe came through on Alyce Alexandra's newsletter today.  Not sure about longevity of the finished pudding, but thought I would post the link anyway:  https://www.alycealexandra.com/thermomix/2018/11/16/vegan-christmas-puddings?rq=vegan%20puddings&mc_cid=96473ba4fc&mc_eid=08cbad16aa

The recipe calls for the puddings to be steamed in dariole molds, but her video also shows her making it in a pudding bowl in the varoma.

Oopps - I just realised you said Xmas cake, not pudding, sorry about going off on a tangent.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:15:12 am by Cuilidh »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #39455 on: November 25, 2020, 12:30:46 am »
Our lovely gardener and us are finding it hard to make the break. She has invited us to her home for Avo tea next Tuesday. I would like to make her a nice Xmas cake.  She is spending Xmas with her family for the first time in many years.  I thought she might like to contribute it to the family lunch.  She is in the middle of shifting, she is not expected to contribute.
Help needed please.  Has anyone got a good recipe , made now but good in a months time.
Warmer today.
Follow up on hearing aids. All good.

Chookie, I had a look through my kept recipes and I don't have a saved Christmas cake that I've made and liked enough to keep.  Sorry I'm no help there.  It can be an expensive fail with all the fruit/alcohol if you don't get the right one.  I wonder if there's one on this forum, must have a look.  :D

Edited to show.

I found this one you tried a few years ago now Chookie, seems you liked it after a week or so. Plus a few more posts.
https://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=8289.msg117596#msg117596

https://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=8188.msg116489#msg116489

https://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=11696.msg219832#msg219832

https://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=8175.msg116410#msg116410

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:37:55 am by JulieO »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39456 on: November 25, 2020, 03:17:09 am »
Chookie I have made quite a few of the Women's Weekly Christmas cakes. The Irish Fruit Cake and the Celebration Fruit cake spring to mind. I will have a look a bit later on today as I have to go with DH to a meeting about MIL. Just the annual review that was delayed by Covid.

Another  couple of lovely WW cakes are the Golden Fruit cake and the Grand Mariner Fruit Cake. These are all recipes from some of the old WW books. If you want any of the recipes let me know.
Mum and I used to each make a different recipe each year and swap......in the olden days. 😀😀😀😀
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:18:40 pm by cookie1 »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #39457 on: November 25, 2020, 09:05:04 pm »
Julie and Cookie,  thank you very much  for taking the time to answer my question. I will consider all options. I looked at Nigella’s, but hers was really just a boiled fruit cake. 
Marina, the individual Puds turned out very well.  I made 2 sizes. I used my recipe.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #39458 on: November 25, 2020, 09:43:00 pm »
There's one in the Festive Flavour cookbook Chookie if you have this book?  It's also on Cookidoo.  This should show you the ingredients to see if it appeals.

https://cookidoo.com.au/recipes/recipe/en-AU/r93450

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #39459 on: November 26, 2020, 08:23:38 pm »
Beautiful cool morning before a hot day.  DH and I were out the house by 5.15 this morning.  About 6 people were already spread out around the jetty fishing.  The water was like silk, so lovely.  Didn't see any dolphins (did yesterday though). 

It's going to be 43 here and quite warm overnight / morning so we are having tomorrow morning off.  Should be back to cool again on Sunday.  :D

DH going to his mums to do some jobs early and I'm going to do some cooking before it gets warm.  Keep cool everyone who will be experiencing it in the next few days.  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #39460 on: November 26, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »
Thanks again Julie.  That one does look interesting.  I must decide today.
It will be 31 here today, which is quite hot for us.
Yesterday the electrician installed the light / fan in the bedroom. It looks good. The blades disappear when just the light is needed.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39461 on: November 27, 2020, 02:08:49 am »
Gosh, things are hot over there. Stay cool everyone.
Chookie that fan sounds great, I wish something like that was available when we bought ours. It is so useful in the hot weather.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #39462 on: November 27, 2020, 03:12:39 am »
We love our ceiling fans and use them in preference to air con ... mind you, there are days when air con is a necessity!

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #39463 on: November 27, 2020, 11:04:11 am »
Chookie that light fan sounds great where did you find it ? 34 degrees today so warm .

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39464 on: November 27, 2020, 08:48:13 pm »
Thanks for your comments about our lockdown. Our area will be placed into “Tier 2” after lockdown on December 2nd. Quite restrictive but at least we escaped “Tier 1” which is awful. We are very diligent about always wearing a mask, using antibacterial gel on our hands when needed and always wash our hands if we have stepped outside the house. I bought a bulk buy of antibacterial soap, it should last us years😂

A deep frost here overnight. DH had to defrost my car before I could drive early to the supermarket this morning,
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.