Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8988853 times)

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2009, 02:14:19 am »
Made Choclolate Pudding today.  Not sure that's an Aussie thing?  Pretty popular here in the States.  I used to just love it as a kid.  Didn't see a recipe in the books (this is what I was going to request) so I did some research and made one myself.  Gotta have a snack while we watch "24" tonight :)

Recipe with more pictures is HERE or in this forum, HERE

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:21:58 am by UnConundrum »

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2009, 11:56:36 am »
Chocolate pudding is really popular in Germany.  It used to confuse people when I talked about pudding when we lived there.  In the UK we talk about pudding both as dessert, and as steamed dishes made in a 'pudding bowl', usually sponge (for sweet) or with suet pastry (for savoury).  I got some interesting reactions from Germans whenever I said I loved steak and kidney pudding  ;D  They always imagined a wobbly custard thing with steak and kidneys!
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2009, 12:17:52 pm »
Haven't posted here for ages - sorry.  I've mainly been making stir frys, or steaming rice or potatoes in the main steamer basket, with fish in the base of varoma, and veg in varoma tray.  Also gravy while steaming veg for roast meal.  And sorbet.

Yesterday I made dog biscuits, then bread, then citrus squash (used mix of oranges, lemons and lime, very nice), and made citrus spread/marmelade with the remains.  Also made lemon curd.  Finally made chicken soup, then added some egg stirred through it at the end - worked well.

Today I've made some more bread, need to make another fruit cake (that's 2 fruit cake recipes I need to post now).

I splashed out and got a 2nd jug - mainly so that everything would look nice at demonstrations.  Hmmm, think that one's already gone out of the window!  Both jugs are in almost constant use  ::)  I had no idea it would be so useful to have 2!
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2009, 12:27:36 am »
I got some interesting reactions from Germans whenever I said I loved steak and kidney pudding  ;D  They always imagined a wobbly custard thing with steak and kidneys!

LOL.  I haven't posted here in ages as too much else happening but have made a Vietnamese pork roll wrapped in omelette from a recipe that I was given.  Make the omelette and then place pork on it a roll like Swiss Roll(they probably don't eat Swiss Roll in Switzerland ???) and steam in Varoma.

Also, a chocolate B&B pudding for Italian class and pasta for a dish called Vincisgrassi - like Lasagne, from Le Marche region of Italy.

Will get around to posting someday
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2009, 12:55:58 am »
No Thermomixer, you hardly ever post here..... ;D

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2009, 12:58:24 am »
Adapted the recipe from Emma Knowles that is on the Gourmet Traveler Site

You can find my adapted recipe and step by step pictures HERE

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2009, 02:03:52 am »
I have just made bolognaise sauce and am about to make bechamel sauce and construct some lasagne.
I have 2 15 year old boys coming home from a full days worth of rowing training tonight and I expect that they will be hungry for something very filling!
I don't like the bolgnaise sauce recipe in the Everyday Cooking book so I have adjusted it and cook it for longer at a simmer, rather than quickly at a boil.  This gives a much richer sauce.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2009, 02:19:49 am »
Better be a big lasagne ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41:46 am »
I don't like the bolgnaise sauce recipe in the Everyday Cooking book so I have adjusted it and cook it for longer at a simmer, rather than quickly at a boil.  This gives a much richer sauce.

Great tip - I think many of the recipes benefit from dropping the temp to 90 or 80 deg and cooking slightly longer.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2009, 02:52:53 am »
That raises a question.  I haven't had time to run any tests (too busy cooking).  How accurate are the temps on a TM?  IOW, is an 80 truly 80C or is it 83, or 76? 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2009, 02:55:54 am »
Will have to point my Blue Gismo in and check again.  When I first checked (a while ago) they were pretty darned close.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2009, 10:36:39 am »
LOL at the blue gizmo, the mind boggles  :o ??? ;D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2009, 02:26:36 pm »
Hi everyone, WOW this forum is getting so BIG!! It's been a while since I have been around - kids at home, too many to feed, just about worn out the TM!! Made a batch of things today, mint sauce, sweet chilli sauce, bread, butter, sorbet, muffins (which I will have to post when I get 5 minutes) mayo, and then did the vegies for dinner. Not to mention all the milkshakes and smoothies the kids have made all day long. I need a cow in the backyard LOL
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2009, 08:03:53 am »
this morning i mixed a gluten free bread mix up, after making the rice flour (i'm trialling a friend's breadmaker, which she wants to swap me for my food processor, unused since the thermomix came along). i'm not quite sure whether there's any point to a breadmaker if i have to make the dough myself anyway ;) hehe

for lunch dh made the kids a vanilla milkshake using the recipe in the book

i am not using the varoma and basket to cook potatoes, sweet potatoes and hard boiled eggs to make a potato salad

PLEASE READ! does anyone mind if i move this topic out of suggestions and complaints and into chitchat?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2009, 08:07:45 am »
No, it's probably a more suitable place for it. We didn't have chit chat when it was started. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/