Author Topic: TM6 experiments with new functions  (Read 29812 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: TM6 experiments with new functions
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 08:59:21 pm »
It doesn't sound like some of the consultants are really 'selling' the TM6 very well as in showing off the new features.  Maybe they are new to Thermomix themselves and not really confident as yet which is such a shame.  So different to when I saw my first machine just over 10 years ago.  There were so many things made on the night, we was there for about 3 hours if I remember correctly.  It was such a different way of cooking from what I was used to but my consultant sold it well and I ordered the next day.  There was no pushiness from her at all either which I appreciated.

I will post honestly about my findings, nothing worse than all glowing reports if that's not the case.  I can only give my point of view to how if works for me. 

I think something to keep in mind is when sautéing meats for example, the maximum to cook in one go is 250g which is fine for me but someone with a family it may not suit.  Saying that though it's like browning meat in a frypan, you do that in batches otherwise it starts to 'stew' so when you look at it like that it's understandable.  Doing more batches will take longer to complete a recipe. 

Yesterday I made a mushroom and white wine cream sauce to serve over fusili for DH to take to work.  I always weigh out my ingredients on a digital scale before starting recipes so I'm ready to go and I did so with this one but thought I'd test out the scales that now weigh in 1g amounts.  I added 12g dried porcini into the bowl when asked and it showed I'd added 12g.  Was very impressed that it was so precise.  Tested the rest too and found all weighed accurately, so would have no qualms of using the in-built scales.

I actually enjoyed following the automated recipe, adding the ingredients when asked and leaving the machine to mill, cook and then blend the sauce and it turned out just like the photo on the recipe.  I had the option to leave the sauce a bit chunky or to set it to blend at the end to finely chop the portobellos.  I chose to blend and the result was a lovely pourable sauce with flecks of the mushrooms throughout the sauce. The taste I had was very flavoursome. Both the High Heat and Thickening modes were used during the recipe.

For DH I kept the pasta and sauce separate so all he had to do was add the sauce to the pasta and warm it in the microwave at work, he told me this morning that it was delicious so that was a win.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 11:39:53 am »
It’s sounding very positive JulieO. Your DH must be the envy of many with his lovely meals at work.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 08:49:04 pm »
I agree with you about the consultants.  I think this may be an individual thing.  Some are just better at demonstrating than others.  But with the new machine they should be demonstrating the differences if they wish to sell to people who already have a TMX.  This causes a problem as the audience may contain a mix of those who have and those who haven’t a TMX. Not sure what the solution is except to have individual demos.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 09:35:35 pm »
Too true Chookie.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 11:04:24 am »
A very timely thread. Thank you JulieO.

I've just received my TM6, having used one for a few weeks, loaned to my by my consultant friend. I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with it, but hope to in future.
I'm planning on becoming a consultant again, now I live in a city instead of a tiny country town!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 08:04:20 pm »
Good to see you again MeganJane, hope you are well, that you enjoy your new TMX and, if you go for the consultancy, I am sure it will be a success.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 09:47:15 pm »
Great to see you too Meganjane, I've only recently returned to the forum myself. :D

Before I bought the 5 I borrowed my daughters for a few weeks to see if I wanted to upgrade or not. I didn't want to have buyers regret like some have had.  After giving it back to her, it was only a week or so before I ordered my own.   ;D

Personally the 6 is what I'd wished the 31 had been from the start, (as in the cooking temp). Going from cooking on the stove top to the thermomix way of cooking left a lot to be desired flavour wise.  I just couldn't get that depth of flavour of course because it couldn't get hot enough, but it did such a great job of other things that I worked around that but I was never completely happy.

With the 6, not everyone would do what I do (when a recipe starts off where onions (and garlic) are sautéed at the beginning of a recipe, instead I go into the High Heat Onion collection and do that first. I then proceed with the recipe).  It makes such a difference to the overall flavour of the meal to get that right and I've had such great success with how my meals are turning out. That little bit of unhappiness I used to feel has completely gone.

I have only scratched the surface of using the new features myself and look forward to trying the other modes but I'm loving what's coming out of it so far. It's certainly put my interest back into cooking in the TM.  :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 12:44:22 am »
I’ll have to check out that HighHeat Onions Collection JulieO.
Interesting that you have only just come back here.
I find that although the Cookidoo FB group is okay, there isn’t anywhere to discuss TM6 hints and tips specifically. Maybe I should start up a FB group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 03:41:09 am »
Do that MJ. I have only recently discovered the Cookiedoo facebook site.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 03:58:56 am »
Okay, done!

Please come and join up! https://www.facebook.com/groups/208864506965747/
The Bush Gourmand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 03:59:42 am »
Was just going to post, 'go for it MJ' when I see you have  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 12:07:46 pm »
Welcome back MJ, it’s nice to see some ‘old’ faces return to us. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 05:02:59 am »
Thanks JD, and definitely older!! ;D
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 05:50:09 am »

Sadly it’s something we can’t dodge.  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 08:12:43 pm »

Sadly it’s something we can’t dodge.  ;D
But we won’t let it hold us back.