Author Topic: Lemon and Blueberry Friands  (Read 16061 times)

Offline CateA

• View Profile
Lemon and Blueberry Friands
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:47:18 am »
TM Lemon and Blueberry Friands

130gms almonds or almond meal
280gms raw sugar or icing sugar
Rind of 1 lemon
5 Tbspns sifted plain flour
5 Egg whites
175gms unsalted butter
100gms Blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, defrost for 20 mins and drain out any excess moisture)

Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Lightly grease 12 ½ cup capacity muffin tins or shallow dariole moulds.
Chop butter into cubes and place in TM bowl. Soften for 3 minutes on speed 4 at 50C. Set aside, then rinse and thoroughly dry TM bowl.
 If using whole almonds, place in TM bowl and grate on speed 9 until fine (about 20 seconds, you will be able to hear when they are fine enough). Set aside in a large mixing bowl. Place sugar in TM bowl and mill for 10 seconds on speed 9 to turn into icing sugar. Set aside in the mixing bowl along with the almond meal. Place the rind of lemon in the TM bowl and grate for 30 seconds on speed 8. Add the almond meal and icing sugar mix back to the TM bowl. Add sifted flour and combine dry ingredients on speed 1 for 30 seconds. Add egg whites and combine for 30 seconds on speed 1. Add butter and combine for 1 minute on speed 3. Pour into muffin tins and place blueberries on top of each friand, then bake for 15 minutes, or until golden and springy to touch. Turn on to a wire rack to cool.

This makes about 11 in a standard muffin/yorkshire pudding tray. I also used raw sugar and whole almonds and milled them first but if you prefer, you can, of course, use pre-milled almond meal and regular icing sugar.

Members' comments
chrissa - My DH absolutely loved them. The recipe made 24 mini muffin size and two rectangle muffin size.  I overfilled the mini muffins so they weren't shaped right.

ES - These are delicious.
I changed the method slightly as I'm too lazy to wash and dry the bowl mid recipe.
Firstly, I ground the almonds, then added icing sugar,flour, and lemon zest and whizzed it all together before removing from the bowl.
Secondly, I melted the butter and then removed it from the bowl.
I then put the dry ingredients into the bowl without cleaning it, added the egg whites and whizzed it together. Once combined I added the butter back in and mixed for a minute, then put the mixture into mini bundt tins and sprinkled with fresh blueberries.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:33:03 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon and Blueberry Friands
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:59:02 am »
I just happen to have a heap of egg whites in the freezer. I think these will be on the menu. Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:06:32 am »
ha ha Cookie I was reading this post thinking this is great to use up all the egg whites in the freezer to scroll down a little further and find you have posted exactly my thoughts.

Thanks CateA  :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:49:00 am »
We could mutter something about "Great minds  etc."

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:11:12 am »
Mmmm, I'll keep this one in mind for next time I have lots of egg whites left over - sounds delicious!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:42:10 am »
My nephew requested some portugese custard tarts so I made a batch for a family function.  But what to do with all the leftover egg whites ???

So I found my way to this recipe.  I'd never made friands before.

My DH absolutely loved them. The recipe made 24 mini muffin size and two rectangle muffin size.  I overfilled the mini muffins so they weren't shaped right but this is all that was left over, much to my husbands delight.  He intends polishing them off tonight.
I do the best I can

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:36 am »
They look lovely. I must do some more as my egg white supply is increasing.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:02:28 pm »
My nephew requested some portugese custard tarts so I made a batch for a family function.  But what to do with all the leftover egg whites ???

So I found my way to this recipe.  I'd never made friands before.

My DH absolutely loved them. The recipe made 24 mini muffin size and two rectangle muffin size.  I overfilled the mini muffins so they weren't shaped right but this is all that was left over, much to my husbands delight.  He intends polishing them off tonight.

Your rectangular muffin tin... Is that what it 's called?  I've been searching for some time for a traditional financier tin to make friands/financiers in. The traditional ones are rectangular and I have had no success finding one at all. Would love to know where you got it.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:21:22 pm »
If you mean this one
I got it at a store at Essendon DFO but I can't remember the name of the store.  They sell corningware and Pyrex as well.

I've never used it before. I thought it would be nice to make savoury muffins in to serve with salads because  its so large, they hold 2/3rds of a cup each.
I do the best I can

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:44:06 am »
i have always thought the traditional friand tin was like this one
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:06:08 am »
Mr google seems to be showing Oval or rectangle or even round but the sides are quite vertical and deep
I do the best I can

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:09 am »
Thanks! I will re-start my search :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 12:51:01 pm »
These are delicious.
I changed the method slightly as I'm too lazy to wash and dry the bowl mid recipe.
Firstly, I ground the almonds, then added icing sugar,flour, and lemon zest and whizzed it all together before removing from the bowl.
Secondly, I melted the butter and then removed it from the bowl.
I then put the dry ingredients into the bowl without cleaning it, added the egg whites and whizzed it together. Once combined I added the butter back in and mixed for a minute, then put the mixture into mini bundt tins and sprinkled with fresh blueberries.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »
Thanks for bumping this, i havent seen it before and love friands.  Yours looked lovely in the bundt tins.
Denise