Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6074491 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #24735 on: January 09, 2021, 09:46:08 pm »
Just walked Chance twice. It’s been particularly cold recently but fortunately we missed the snow that fell in the rest of the country.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24736 on: January 10, 2021, 12:19:31 am »
Good to get out and have a walk ... even if it is cold and snowy, it is helping to keep people indoors and, in its own way, slowing down COVID a bit (I hope).  News reports are not good, so glad to hear that you are out and about and well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24737 on: January 10, 2021, 05:59:49 am »
It is so good to see what everyone is doing.
Judy, Costco is a very dangerous place.  Love it.  Just as well there isn’t  one in Ballarat.
Cookie, we have been thinking of you constantly.  That heat is awful. It is 33 here today so of course I’ve been making jam and sauce. After 6 hours on my feet I’ve had to lay down. 
Marina, we certainly enjoyed your visit.  It was so nice to catch up after such a horrible year. I’m inspired by the Apple and thyme gourmet jelly that you brought.  Thought I might make some plum and thyme to see how that goes. 
CC, I owe you a very long letter.  We worry for you and family.  This virus is a shocking event. Although things look good in Australia, it continues to be still be around.
Mab, you are too kind.  I can’t think of anything worse than that kind of sewing.  Congratulations on your first tomato. Ours are still very green.
K ATIE, time at the beach is a great healer.
Now for a laugh.  Gave the GC money for Xmas.  Instead of going to the Boxing Day sales, they hit the OP shops in Ballarat.  They then came around to do a fashion parade for us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24738 on: January 10, 2021, 06:29:41 am »
So many of the young ones seem to love going to op shops Chookie. It’s probably saving them money.

Much cooler here today. It hasn’t reached 30 yet. I have tried my hand at a couple of new rye SD breads. I’m not sure how they will go. I will keep you updated.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24739 on: January 10, 2021, 06:32:47 am »
That’s great Chookie, great bargains to be found in op shops.
Very hot one here today too but I’ve spent a few hours visiting a local friend and my house is still OK with just the fan going.  Certainly too hot to do outside jobs unless done very early in the morning.  Not too hot for you to be making bread though cookie!
I agree with Chookie Margaret, so nice to help people out but sewing is one job I dislike - I find it a real chore.  You obviously love it though.
Fish & chips and the beach go hand in hand K Atie, too hot here for the beach although I’m sure there are plenty of people there today here.
I imagine you walk very briskly to keep up with Chance on your cold days Denise.
Marina we would all love to spend that much time with Chookie & Ral for a catch up, you’re so lucky to be able to do so.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24740 on: January 10, 2021, 09:38:10 pm »
Margaret, I don't envy you the curtain alteration, much less when you have been given the wrong sizes.  We have a set of curtains in Guildford that desperately needs to be altered but there is absolutely no way I am going to tackle that - I will wait until we re-decorate that room then buy new ones!

Everyone sounds so busy, with a lot going on.  I rarely go into op shops ...just because I see something I really like but it is invariably the wrong size or colour and I get frustrated so I walk out again.  Having said that, we did buy a set of 8 dining chairs some years ago so I have had luck on one visit at least!

The heat on this side of the country just now is not great, but it is due to cool down later this evening so we might get a nice rest.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #24741 on: January 10, 2021, 11:59:41 pm »
Doing the washing and then cleaning the shower today.

DH is out covering the tomatoes as they are cooking on the vine.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:30:25 am by mab19 »
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24742 on: January 11, 2021, 05:10:56 am »
Stay cool folks. Our long burst of heat absolutely wore me out.
I did the ironing this morning and then we had a lovely surprise visitor. It was a very good friend who spent Saturday in ER. He got up and felt very faint, went to grab a door he thought was closed, it wasn't and he fell. He has a cracked rib, badly sprained wrist, crack on his head and badly bruised shoulder. He was so lucky. It seems to have shaken him up a lot. It would me too.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #24743 on: January 11, 2021, 10:53:16 am »
36 degrees today with a very hot wind . DH started to harvest this arvo then a paddock ban put on due to fire danger , all back at it . DS and I went to have X-ray for DS collarbone, physo after. Strengthening exercises for a few weeks first , knitting together well ,it is bent though. DS happy that he can finally remove his sling . Tomorrow DD helping with crutching .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24744 on: January 13, 2021, 08:32:13 am »
I did the grocery shopping this morning and then we went up and got a bank cheque for DH's new car. We think delivery will be Friday.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #24745 on: January 13, 2021, 09:18:32 am »
Crazy crutching day ! DD worked from 8.30 to 5 !! I zoomed around getting food lunch , power went out , generator had to be brought up to the shearing shed at home . Lunch for family . DS decided time for him to be on the harvester with his dad ! They are still out there at 8 pm . Had to return all food kettle sandwich toaster clean ready for tomorrow’s change of shed ! Cooked hot smoked salmon and like a fired rice with baked whole sweet potato. Also managed to do a massive amount of washing. Laugh I made our bed up , forgot the underlay was still on the clothes line remade bed then did DS. The power outage added to never use the soak cycle again , whole morning washing an underlay .

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24746 on: January 14, 2021, 01:01:19 am »
Monday was our 57 th. Wedding Anniversary. RAL was given a restaurant voucher for Christmas so we used that.  We had Fish and Chips as it is a favourite of this Restaurant.
Yesterday had a glucose blood test.  Not nice.  2 hours and 3 lots of blood taken.   Nurse was good but my veins and not.  Bloody awful. Would much rather be cooking.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24747 on: January 14, 2021, 07:11:06 am »
Happy anniversary Chookie and Ral for yesterday.  Glad you had a treat for dinner.

... have they left you with any blood at all in your veins, Chookie?  I often have the same problem, I think because my blood pressure tends to be lower than higher - not that I know that that is true, it is just my speculation.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24748 on: January 14, 2021, 08:03:27 am »
Happy Anniversary Chookie and Ral. It sounds like a lovely way to celebrate it.
Glucose blood tests are mean. Lots of blood taken and sitting round with yucky stuff to drink. So very, very sweet.

I am fortunate that there veins on my right arm are near the surface. Someone once told me that drink lots before a blood test so that you will be well hydrated, not sure how correct it is.

I'm finding that everytime I bump myself or even scratch an itchy spot am getting bleeding under the skin. My dermatologist said they are called ecchymosis and it happens to older people. Grrrrr. It seems to be happening really frequently all of a sudden. He wasn't worried at all.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24749 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:00 am »
Happy anniversary for Monday Chookie & Ral, it was nice that you could go out and celebrate.
I have the same problem with veins that hide for blood tests, some have no luck finding them but there is usually someone who can.  I was told that if they can’t find them they can bring out a machine which will but you have to be in a place that has those machines.  I always drink a few glasses of water to make it easier for them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.