Author Topic: Varoma steamed Corned Beef  (Read 79879 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Varoma steamed Corned Beef
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:01 am »
There has been a lot of discussion on the forum in regards to cooking Silverside in the Thermomix.  I have read some comments that people have done it but no-one has actually posted a recipe (to my knowledge) on this forum.  I accidentally came across one from this blog of a demonstrator which was in her ThermoNews November 2011 so decided it might be a good idea to share it with our members after I cooked it successfully.  I have changed some things to get the best I could from my piece of meat and I will be cooking my Silverside this way from now on in.

Name of Recipe:Varoma Steamed Corned Beef

Number of People: 1.5kg would serve 6 people easily

Ingredients:
1.5kg corned beef
1.5 litres boiling water
3 cloves
2 bayleaves
S & P
Glug of apple cider vinegar

Preparation:
Remove the meat from the package and rinse under cold water. Place the meat into the sprayed varoma dish.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the TM bowl, place the varoma on top.
Cook for 1.5 hours/Varoma temperature/speed 2.
Add vegies around the side of the meat and cook for a further 30 minutes/varoma temp/speed 2.
Put the corned beef into the thermosaver whilst you either mash the potatoes or make a mustard sauce or parsley sauce to go with it.  I mashed the potato in my second bowl and kept that warm in a thermosaver whilst I made mustard sauce

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
Cooking times for your piece of silverside should be on the packaging in which it is wrapped.  It will say 30 minutes per 500 g but I gave mine an extra 1/2 hour to ensure it was very tender but that's up to you.

I've also used this method for cooking pickled pork (it doesn't need much more than 30 minutes per 500g) and I do prefer parsley sauce with my corned meat.

Please note the speed has been changed from speed 3 to speed 2 as Kimmy read on FB this is the best speed if you are using the varoma for a long time.  She tried speed 2 and said it was fine.  Thanks Kimmy.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:59:11 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Varoma steamed Corned Beef
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:14:16 am »
thanks JD i love corned beef, over the years i have tried and tried to make it, but it always taste like **** :-))

will give this ago for sure

ciao
uni
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:11:02 am »
I'll have to give this a try, thanks JD.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:56:57 am »
Judy,  I am so pleased that you posted this.  I cook corned beef in the crock pot and it is really heavy to empty after the meat is cooked.  I can easily manage the TMX bowl,  no matter how full. ;D ;D ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:29:36 am »
 :) Thanks Judy, I usually make it on the stove top still, doing 2 pieces at once.

I'll try this with one piece.

Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:47:06 am »
well done JD now I can have a crack at it myself - thanks

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »
We had a sandwich using this corned beef tonight, I like my cold corned beef cut thinly - opened one of my jars of Maggie's beetroot jam to go with it and it was delicious.
Don't know about you girls but sometimes you get really nice piece of corned beef and occasionally you get a tough piece that no amount of cooking tenderises.  My piece today was obviously a good piece.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:35:32 pm »
Love corned beef served with boiled/steamed baby potatoes, beans and corned beef sauce (recipe from golden wattle cookbook). It has always been one of my favourite meals.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »
I like it cold to JD I am thinking of making it and just slicing it and leave in the fridge for weekend sandwiches

i have an  electric slicer that makes slicing very easy and perfect every time. love it.
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:07:52 pm »
I love corned beef sandwiches also but unfortunately none of my family do so can only cook the meat if we are going to also eat it for dinner. I make the EDC hollandaise sauce with the addition of grainy mustard to go with the beef and even though we know it's extremely bad for us it tastes great  ;D. The leftover hollandaise is great used on the sandwiches instead of butter. Wish I wasn't travelling this weekend I feel like corned beef now!!

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 10:55:32 am »
Thanks for posting this Judy.  My husband and I have been married 25 years (as you know from my recent blabberings about our holiday to China!) and I only just found out he loves corned beef when we went to my Mother's for dinner and she served it!!  My younger son, who unlike his older siblings is a devoted meat eater, LOVED his first taste of corned beef--had about 4 servings.  I have never cooked it because I hated washing the huge stock pot my mum used to boil lumps of silerside in when I was growing up!  I'm sure that's why I have never thought of cooking it!  Anyway, I was just thinking that I really need to give this corned beef caper a go, and now here is a doable recipe for the tmx.  All good!  Thanks!

By the way, in an endeavour to get inspiration for writing my most difficult student reports, I had a few gin and tonics.  I think I had a few too many, so I hope this makes sense, and hope I get some inspiration tomorrow, after a good sleep!!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:02:33 am »
 :D :D :D  Those reports could make interesting reading then Lellyj.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 11:14:50 am »
Yes I think it would be safer to stick with writing messages on the forum and try again with report writing tomorrow, JD ;D ;D ;D
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 06:30:42 am »
I will have to try this. I usually cook corned beef in my slow cooker.

Lelly, that sounds like a good way to write reports. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »
I just made this and it worked great.  The meat was very tender. I cooked cabbage along side the corned beef in the last 30 minutes. I also cooked chat potatoes on the stove top. I was going to put them in the basket in the bowl but wasn't sure how the seasoning in the steaming water would go with the potatoes.

I also made the mustard sauce, DW even tried some and she is not a mustard person.