Author Topic: I'm Ok  (Read 11194 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
I'm Ok
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:55:28 am »
Hi everyone,

I haven't been active on the forum for quite a while. I just want to let you know I am ok. I have been busy and tired and I am only cooking to eat. Even then I hardly use Thermi I have fallen into just making anything easy that does not require thought and limited preparation.

My department at work was hit very hard by the Govt cutbacks and redundancies last year.  Almost 20 of my colleagues lost there jobs (about half or or department) and those of us that are left wish we were made redundant.  >:(

We went back to the US at Christmas to visit family. Both of my DDs and their boyfriends traveled back too. The eldest DD and her partner traveled with us.  We visited Charleston SC, Washington DC and NYC as well as the family in South Carolina.  My girls both got engaged while we were in the US. We are very happy though feeling a bit shell shocked.  ;D :P

I am currently training for the Busselton Ironman 70.3 triathlon. I have engaged the services of a coach to try and advance my training and set a PB for this distance.  She is pushing me hard and consequently I am shattered most days. Some weeks I am racking up 15 hours of training a week on top of full time work.  So you can understand why my cooking has dropped off.  :P

I will make an attempt to become more active on the forum.  I have been working on a NY style pizza dough recipe. I think I have it almost perfected and should post it soon, but be warned it is not for the faint of heart. I only use a relatively small amount of yeast and cold proof it for between 2-3 days and then hand shape the dough, no rolling pin to avoid degassing the dough.

Dennis

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: I'm Ok
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:15:27 am »
Maybe you should change your name to Distant Den  ;D great that you've popped in and agree that you certainly have a lot going on to keep up with. Make sure you eat well as that is the most important thing. Looking forward to seeing your dough recipe  when it's time.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:19:02 am »
Great to hear you are fit and well Den but it's just life getting in the way of spending time on the forum. ;)
Like CP looking forward to your Pizza dough recipe  ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:28:02 am »
Thanks for dropping in to say you are ok DD, much appreciated. Congratulations to your two DD's.
I'm another one who is looking forward to the pizza base. It will be rather tasty proving for that length of time.
Take care. I can well imagine how work is.  :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:39 am »
Hi Den, thanks for explaining your absence.  We often wonder where some of our previously frequent contributors have gone.  Look after yourself and congratulations to the girls on their engagement.  I hope you've started saving for their weddings down the track ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:56:30 am »
Glad alls well Den.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:59:23 am »
Den, lovely to hear from you.  Such a lot happening in your life. Two weddings,wow, hopefully one will have a longer engagement and give you time to catch your breath.
Best of luck for the ironman, oh to be so dedicated.
Looking forward to the pizza dough.
Take care
Denise

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:03:07 am »
Lovely to hear from you again Den.  No surprises that you have been too busy to cook and post on this forum.  Congratulations on your DD's engagements.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 11:07:22 am »
Thanks for stopping by Den, it's great to hear from you and catch up with what you've been up to.
Congratulations on your DD's x 2 engagements.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 11:59:55 am »
Judy orignally the weddings were planed for one this Oct (just before harvest- he's a farmer) and the other for November next year.  DD2 has just advised it was all getting too hard planning and she has postponed until Sept next year. She wants to  get married on the farm and they will be living on the farm by next year. Both girls have said they are funding their own weddings, we will help of course but luckily with two so close together I don't have to fully fund both.  They are also both going low key, one on the farm and the other a picnic wedding on he fiance's parents property in Margaret River.

CP I have not been eating as well as i should be.  I am tired all the time and eat way to much sugar and crap trying to keep my energy up.  I really need to eat more steamed veggies, poached or grilled meat and whole grains with only a small amount of fat from nuts, evoo and avocado. Unfortunately DW is not impressed when I start cooking like that. She would just eat tinned spaghetti all the time if iI ate like I should.

Bonsai

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »
Hi Den good to hear from you again. Congratulations on your DD's engagements.  Work stress is hard, similar things happening at my work too, hold in there !

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:06:00 pm »
Wow Den, been wondering where you had gone.  :)
Glad you popped in, and congrats on your DDs's engagements.  ;D
:D

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 10:11:15 pm »
Glad you are okay Den and congratulations on your DD's engagements.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 10:26:35 pm »
Great to see you back up and running again Den (excuse the pun).  What a time you have been having, but it sounds as though you are starting to settle back down again.  Best wishes to you DDs and good luck with your Ironman challenge.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »
Good to hear from you Dash. Co grats to your daughters, love weddings :)

Looking forward to pizza dough recipe :)
Mum to Crown Prince......